Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dextron III

Anyone here running a PCM transmission. Want to change trans oil, talked to PCM and they said not to use synthetic trans oil. Talked with ACME and the guy said there some are getting another 100 rpm out of their boats when they switch to synthetic trans oil? What should I do?

Anyone here running a PCM transmission. Want to change trans oil, talked to PCM and they said not to use synthetic trans oil. Talked with ACME and the guy said there some are getting another 100 rpm out of their boats when they switch to synthetic trans oil? What should I do?

Are you racing your boat or skiing and boarding behind it? If PCM says don't use synthetic, that would be good enough for me. If your boat doesn't run in the proper RPM range at WOT then you may be running the wrong prop for your load conditions. I don't believe it is a good idea to run higher WOT RPMs than the manufactures recommendations. JMO though.

Are you racing your boat or skiing and boarding behind it? If PCM says don't use synthetic, that would be good enough for me. If your boat doesn't run in the proper RPM range at WOT then you may be running the wrong prop for your load conditions. I don't believe it is a good idea to run higher WOT RPMs than the manufactures recommendations. JMO though.

:plus1: I would stick with what is recomended by the OEM. If you wnat/need more hole shot change props

:plus1: I would stick with what is recomended by the OEM. If you wnat/need more hole shot change props

Does anyone run synthetic engine oil? My manual say 15/40 but not synthetic so I had better not run synthetic I guess.

gekko,

Alot of us do and alot don't. My manual also says 15w-40, but Indmar says 15w-50 Mobil One synthetic is fine after 100 hours - which I do use. Does your manual specifically say to not run synthetic?

Does anyone run synthetic engine oil? My manual say 15/40 but not synthetic so I had better not run synthetic I guess.

Has the OEM told you not to run synthetic? The OP mentioned that the oem recomended not to use synthetic. If the OEM just mentiones the weight or type but makes no mention of synthetic or conventional then it is your choice. However if the OEM specifically mentions not to then I would go with what the OEM states.