Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally bought 1st Malibu

dimer10

Finally pulled the trigger on the families first Malibu. 2002 XTI. 194 hours, front and rear ballast system, perfect pass, depth finder, 325HP, monsoon engine, Titan series 1 tower. We are first time ski/wakeboard owners. We will be asking a lot of questions on this site for help.

First set of questions for The Malibu Crew

1. Best place to buy custom bimini? Would like to have it cover more of the stern seating.

2. Best for boat cover?

3. Best way to set it up for wake surfing?

4. Tower speakers?

5. Props? Current is stainless steel

Thanks

We had some setbacks of late with family members becoming ill. We figured to throw that much money right now was not smart. We voted to go on mission in a certain price range and this is what we got. Sometimes life just changes in the spur of moment. I am lucky just to be able to buy this boat with all cash.

Finally pulled the trigger on the families first Malibu. 2002 XTI. 194 hours, front and rear ballast system, perfect pass, depth finder, 325HP, monsoon engine, Titan series 1 tower. We are first time ski/wakeboard owners. We will be asking a lot of questions on this site for help.

1. Best place to buy custom bimini? Would like to have it cover more of the stern seating.

2. Best for boat cover?

4. Tower speakers?

Thanks

Congratulations, post up some photos!

my answers

1. Onlyinboards.com

2. The Evolution Cover from Kory at www.evolutioncovers.com

3. IDK

4. I defer to the stereo experts

5. First thing, get rid of the SS prop. Get an Nibral (brass like) from OJ or Acme. The SS prop wont bend before you do major damage to the rest of the running gear. The OJ or Acme will bend first. (I learned this the hard way) Also, there is some discussion around here (with photos) that the SS prop made by CVP may throw blades causing big trouble.

2. Best for boat cover?

4. Tower speakers?

Thanks

Congrats on the new purchase - always good to see another XTI owner out here! I have the exact same boat, but with the Hammerhead engine. We love ours and I am sure you will also!

Can't help on the extended bimini - we use the factory bimini on the tower and it works well. I just bought a new cover from Onlyinboards.com and like it a lot. The Evolution cover is very popular here, but is also extremely expensive. Since my boat sits inside 24x7, I went with a lower price cover. I also can't give too much opinion on surfing - we just tried it for the first time this summer - with a ton of people weight out back, it did fine but I am sure there is a more optimal way to weight it down!

As for tower speakers, I have the stock kicker speakers on the tower - they work OK but there are a lot of options here. Check the stereo section of this page for ideas. Wetsounds are popular if you have the $$$ to spend on them. For props, I would stick with what is on it for starters - use it a few times and see if it performs well for you. If you can get the specs off the hub of the prop (blades, diameter, pitch, etc) we can probably give you advice on which way to go if you want more power, speed, etc.

Good luck!

-- Mike

For surfing - We fill all 3 tanks, Wedge up, extra 500lb sack on floor in back, 300lb sack as far forward as possible on floor in front or a bow sack, 6-8 people on one side as close to back as possible and then if its a little frothy put more people in the front - it can get too heavy in the back. We set the perfect pass at about 10.5 - the more weight in the boat the better. If there are less than 6 people in the boat putting the wedge down can help but I feel the wake is cleaner with more weight and no wedge.

Congrats dimer! We just bought our first 'Bu as well, a 2006 V-Ride. Love the boat. Much more fun than the Cobra replica that I built, raced, and then sold to pay for the boat. It's better to be able to take a bunch of your friends on the water than flying solo on the pavement. We put 10 hours on it here north of DC the last two weeks. Going to Lake Anna this weekend for some warm water 'boarding. We are a bunch of addicted newbs having a blast!

Welcome dimer10,

No need to justify your purchase, Congrats ! Hopefully someone will pipe in here with their own bimini recommendations, but if you have a dealer close by, I'll bet they can help.

I dont have a tower, but there is a ton of info here, searchable, about tower speakers solutions. Not sure your battery situation, but you may look at that infrastructure if you are gonna go big on a stereo.

Hope we can see some pic's soon, the winter is going to be boring without stuff like this !

Steve B.

2. Best for boat cover?

4. Tower speakers?

Thanks

Congrats on the new boat and welcome! Sounds like you found a nice one with really low hours. Fire away with the questions - we're here to help. Thumbup.gif

Here's a couple answers to the ones you posted....

1. I have a Star One Wake bimini on my TIII. I think they have one for the Standard tower as well. Might be worth giving them a ring to find out. I'm sure there are also other vendors that have bimini's for the Standard tower as well.

2. As far as a cover goes Evolution Covers can not be beat. They are second to none. There are some good pictures of my cover on my Skier in this thread.

4. There are lots of good tower speakers out there. The best thing to do is to decide what your goals with your boat's system will be. If you want big sound behind the boat you will want to go with one of the higher end HLCD (Horn Loaded Compression Driver) tower speakers that combine a woofer and a horn to get the sound back to the rider.

5. OJ or ACME props would be the two big dogs to choose from. Either company is good to deal with and will help you choose a prop that will best suit you needs based on what you are using your boat for. I have ran both kinds of props and have been pleased with both.

2. Best for boat cover?

4. Tower speakers?

Thanks

You will find a many helpful people on this sight. Not sure where you are located but there might be a local place that can put together a bimini to your specs.....I know of a place here in Portland that does excellent work called Bentleys or something like that? I guess what I am saying is that sometimes the local guys can really do good stuff so check the yellow pages.

Thank you all for your help. Picked the boat up today. I have a pick from my phone I would like to share. How do I uplaod a photo onto the body of this text?

:dontknow:

Thanks. We got really lucky to get this boat. Need to get a few things done right away. I think I am having an issue with the impeller and cooling system. I hope to have time ot check it out today.