Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MXZ First impressions

Fman

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thtrog

• saidainc

• jrad12381

• Fman

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful boat Throg, just curious, no G3 tower mirror? Went with the windshield mount? I have used the G3 Tower mirror all season and have been pretty happy with it, I did have to add some star locking washers inbetween the clamping bolt and bracket to help it stay tight. Although, I still have to tighten it a few times throughout the day... thats my only complaint about it.

BTW, that MXZ would look sick with some 20% tint on it! :rockon:

Edited by Fman

Beautiful boat Throg, just curious, no G3 tower mirror? Went with the windshield mount? I have used the G3 Tower mirror all season and have been pretty happy with it, I did have to add some star locking washers inbetween the clamping bolt and bracket to help it stay tight. Although, I still have to tighten it a few times throughout the day... thats my only complaint about it.

BTW, that MXZ would look sick with some 20% tint on it! :rockon:

Thanks Fman. I'm sure I would get used to it, but big tricks in the flats and I can't see rider landings with the G3 mirror. I do plan a 20% tint, but that will come later when the stereo and ballast upgrades are done.

Thanks Fman. I'm sure I would get used to it, but big tricks in the flats and I can't see rider landings with the G3 mirror. I do plan a 20% tint, but that will come later when the stereo and ballast upgrades are done.

I noticed when the REV 10s went on it did create a little bit of a rider blindspot, but overall not too bad with the 3 lens display they put on it. I just saw on Bakes they are now selling the G3 Tower Mirror for $549 which seems a little crazy high to me, not sure its worth that kind of cash.

Edited by Fman

I noticed when the REV 10s went on it did create a little bit of a rider blindspot, but overall not too bad with the 3 lens display they put on it. I just saw on Bakes they are now selling the G3 Tower Mirror for $549 which seems a little crazy high to me, not sure its worth that kind of cash.

I honestly don't know if the one I used had the 3 lens, just remember seeing boards in the racks. I'm just ready to get back on the water!!!

I honestly don't know if the one I used had the 3 lens, just remember seeing boards in the racks. I'm just ready to get back on the water!!!

Tell me about it. At least you had weather for rides in the Fall. I deploy to Afghanistan next week (the Bank that underwrote the loan was actually worried that I would transport the boat to that location to avoid potential repossession) and return mid June. By then youll probably have twice the rides I will get all summer on the MXZ.

I was told only one set of horn speakers was necessary. Since the boat set me back some, Im only buying one set of Memphis Audio since they use the same horn as wet sounds just a diff speaker box. I am thinking stock is good enough to get the sound I want off the water?

Thank you for your Service! If you are online during deployment I'll share some pictures of system work in my boat. I have nothing to complain about, even looking forward to the boat shows coming up. Before we know it the Wake'n Flake event for Wake the World will be here!

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmmm......haven't heard anyone mention it yet but it looks alot like a mastercraft (I thought the axis line was supposed to be the picklefork?).......just thought I'd stir up some trouble lol

Hmmmm......haven't heard anyone mention it yet but it looks alot like a mastercraft (I thought the axis line was supposed to be the picklefork?).......just thought I'd stir up some trouble lol

Malibu made the conscious decision after the success of the Axis line to add a picklefork design to the Malibu moniker. Some Malibu specific owners want a Malibu not an Axis for various reasons therefore, a great business decision on offering something no other manufacture offers a traditional and pickleform hulls along the vdrive line. This also brings more potential customers from other brands that would simply over look Malibu due to the fact they only offered a traditional hull. The best of both worlds because they offer something for both.

I got mine with everything except the trailer and engine upgrade and underwater lights for 75k

WE are looking to maybe get one around that price, but we need the 410 engine( we are at altitude) and want lights. What stereo system did you get?

WE are looking to maybe get one around that price, but we need the 410 engine( we are at altitude) and want lights. What stereo system did you get?

Check into that because Im at 3000 feet elevation and the dealer tested the boat in Lake Tahoe with the 350hp at nearly 5000 feet and said that with a high altitude prop and the 350hp you can easily have enough power to plane out early with full ballast/wedge and 10-12 people. Its only when you are rolling extra weight (1000lbs of fat sacks for example) that you will need the 410. After all, the 410 is ONLY 3ft of extra torque.

I went with the recommended stereo; 3 amps but chose my own tower speakers (Memphis audio) to go on the shelves next to the lights.

Check into that because Im at 3000 feet elevation and the dealer tested the boat in Lake Tahoe with the 350hp at nearly 5000 feet and said that with a high altitude prop and the 350hp you can easily have enough power to plane out early with full ballast/wedge and 10-12 people. Its only when you are rolling extra weight (1000lbs of fat sacks for example) that you will need the 410. After all, the 410 is ONLY 3ft of extra torque.

I went with the recommended stereo; 3 amps but chose my own tower speakers (Memphis audio) to go on the shelves next to the lights.

Tahoe is 6000' not 5k. There is no way that boat would not struggle to get on plane at 6000' with full ballast, wedge and ten people aboard, unless it's propped down so far that it's doing 5000 rpms at 30 mph. Tahoe is hard on a boat.

I run almost 3000lbs of ballast in my VTX with the 340 and acme 1235, and really struggle to plane out. I'm around 5400ft at my lake.

I don't think you see a lot of difference at the lower speed between the 350 and 410, but I've seensome graphs that show around 13-15mph there is a significant difference. That's right at that planning out speed. I also have heard of some marginal gas savings between the two since the 410 doesn't have to work as hard

Tahoe is 6000' not 5k. There is no way that boat would not struggle to get on plane at 6000' with full ballast, wedge and ten people aboard, unless it's propped down so far that it's doing 5000 rpms at 30 mph. Tahoe is hard on a boat.

We our 2007 Sky Supreme with a Black Scorpion 340 at Redfish lake in Idaho at 6800 elevation and a high altitude prop with 11 people, 800+ in factory ballast, and an additional 1200 lbs of fatsacks and it didnt struggle very much. Maybe we burned more fuel but I really think the differences in the 350 vs. the 410 are really being played up. I know my dealer sold me on the 350 when I wanted the 410 after testing it.

We our 2007 Sky Supreme with a Black Scorpion 340 at Redfish lake in Idaho at 6800 elevation and a high altitude prop with 11 people, 800+ in factory ballast, and an additional 1200 lbs of fatsacks and it didnt struggle very much. Maybe we burned more fuel but I really think the differences in the 350 vs. the 410 are really being played up. I know my dealer sold me on the 350 when I wanted the 410 after testing it.

...and at least 200 pounds of wetsuits too, right? :biggrin:

...and at least 200 pounds of wetsuits too, right? :biggrin:

True! You Redfishers are brave. It's a beautiful place, crystal clear water, but cold as all get out! It also takes a perfect summer day to warm up 6800 feet elevation!