Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MXZ First impressions

Fman

I was picking up my VLX today for some warranty work it had been due for, and btw, Malibu repaired everything I asked them to, including installing a new dripless shaft seal :).... very happy with them. My dealer had a new 2012 MXZ on display, and I was able to crawl around in it.... the space in the cockpit/lounge area is slightly larger because of the 102" beam, not a very noticeable differenice IMO. However, the bow area is much larger and can accomodate a much larger group of people. The boat is really nice, one thing I did not care for was the very small ski locker compartment openings. We not only wakeboard, but kneeboard and wakeskate, and the VLX has a much wider opening to allow kneeboads to fit in the ski locker compartments. The main length of the boat is in the front bow, and the rear transom seating area. I also noticed they changed the 'Malibu" rear transom logos to a different style, and they seem to be the same material as the wakesetter logo and not stainless anymore.... I could not really figure out why they did this. The rear transom seating area is really nice, its just too bad they had to reduce the size of the ski locker openings to do this. They did upgrade the interior speakers from 6" to 8" to really blow your ears out!

Overall a very nice looking boat, still not a huge fan of the pickleforks but I can see why Malibu is producing them, they offer more space. My dealer took the boat out and got a few sets (advanced rider) in behind one and said the wakeboard wake is inbetween the VLX and LSV, he honestly said the average rider would probably not notice any difference between the two, but the MXZ did produce a little more lip/steeper wake with not as much transition as the VLX. He actually perferred the VLX wake because he likes a longer transition, and MXZ wake is even wider than the VLX.... but its just his preference.... he said many riders will like the MXZ wake, and some will prefer the VLX wake... This was with the stock ballast system and power wedge.

Anyway, hats off to Malibu, looks like another nice addition to the Wakesetter lineup. I did not ask about a price, guessing $80-85k?

Edited by Fman
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thtrog

• saidainc

• jrad12381

• Fman

Top Posters In This Topic

the mxz is pretty sweet... the extra weight in the front from the boat being a little wider in the front makes nice for a little added weight in the front on top of the bow ballast... the bottom of the hull looks to be flatter on the bottom than the vlx. the compartment where the ladder hides in the front has a spot to put an anchor for storage. overall i think my next boat will be the mxz. the sticker price of the mxz i got to look at was 102k....

Anyway, hats off to Malibu, looks like another nice addition to the Wakesetter lineup. I did not ask about a price, guessing $80-85k?

Exactly. If you were to go crazy with the biggest stereo package, camera, heated seats, bling wheels on the trailer etc...off the charts options.. you'd be pushing 90k. Reasonalbly equipped 80-85ish.

Exactly. If you were to go crazy with the biggest stereo package, camera, heated seats, bling wheels on the trailer etc...off the charts options.. you'd be pushing 90k. Reasonalbly equipped 80-85ish.

I checked out one at my local dealer and that was their price range as well.

My impressions are pretty much the same as fman's. It was a very nice boat, the cockpit felt slightly larger than the VLX with the 102" beam but just barely, the rear storage locker openings were noticeably small, and the bow area was huge. The small added features like the surf seating, front ladder, and anchor storage were nice, but overall it's probably not for me as I prefer the traditional looking VLX. Definitely a nice addition to the Wakesetter lineup though and I'm sure Malibu will sell plenty.

I think they should have kept the playpen style seating of the VLX/LSV and put a bigger tank in the bow to make the factory wakeboarding wake even better without having to put bags on the seats. If they did that they could probably fit a 600-700 pound hard tank under there. It would really set it apart from the other Wakesetters and make it even stiffer competition for the X-Star.

I was picking up my VLX today for some warranty work it had been due for, and btw, Malibu repaired everything I asked them to, including installing a new dripless shaft seal :).... very happy with them. My dealer had a new 2012 MXZ on display, and I was able to crawl around in it.... the space in the cockpit/lounge area is slightly larger because of the 102" beam, not a very noticeable differenice IMO. However, the bow area is much larger and can accomodate a much larger group of people. The boat is really nice, one thing I did not care for was the very small ski locker compartment openings. We not only wakeboard, but kneeboard and wakeskate, and the VLX has a much wider opening to allow kneeboads to fit in the ski locker compartments. The main length of the boat is in the front bow, and the rear transom seating area. I also noticed they changed the 'Malibu" rear transom logos to a different style, and they seem to be the same material as the wakesetter logo and not stainless anymore.... I could not really figure out why they did this. The rear transom seating area is really nice, its just too bad they had to reduce the size of the ski locker openings to do this. They did upgrade the interior speakers from 6" to 8" to really blow your ears out!

Overall a very nice looking boat, still not a huge fan of the pickleforks but I can see why Malibu is producing them, they offer more space. My dealer took the boat out and got a few sets (advanced rider) in behind one and said the wakeboard wake is inbetween the VLX and LSV, he honestly said the average rider would probably not notice any difference between the two, but the MXZ did produce a little more lip/steeper wake with not as much transition as the VLX. He actually perferred the VLX wake because he likes a longer transition, and MXZ wake is even wider than the VLX.... but its just his preference.... he said many riders will like the MXZ wake, and some will prefer the VLX wake... This was with the stock ballast system and power wedge.

The hull is a combo of VLX (rear) and 23 (entry) so those wake characteristics seems reasonable.

Our MXZ arrived at the dealer late yesterday. It's at the dealer being prepped, but I hope to have it on the water Friday to break it in.

Hey, that's cool.

It looks like the ladder can be deployed and not touch the trailer?

That'd be a cool way to get in and out of the boat on land.

I've demoed the MXZ in Sept, so I know what to expect in performance with the L96. The thing I really look forward to testing is the factory offered GPS system that was developed between Malibu, Indmar and Medallian. The MXZ we tested in FL did not have this option, so I have high hopes of improvements in speed control over previous versions. I've not seen the Maliview screen yet, but did notice the Lowrance receiver on the bow deck.

Other changes noted yesterday:

High Speed Ballast - I'll have to verify the pump size, but all 1" hose and hardware for the factory ballast system. I believe the pumps are supposed to be 1100 GHP.

Floor drains - I lifted the aqua mat in the rear and there are 1" floor drains on each side at the back of the cabin. I didn't take up the whole mat to see if there were any others.

Bimini Hardware - There's a new pinned knuckle joint where the frame folds back, this should eliminate any alignment issues as before.

Back-up keyed ignition - There is a manual key start right beside the breakers.

Flip-up gas caps - I understand there are changes in the tank thickness, filling, and venting design to meet new requirements for 2012.

PB300002.jpg

PB300004.jpg

Hey, that's cool.

It looks like the ladder can be deployed and not touch the trailer?

That'd be a cool way to get in and out of the boat on land.

Pete, I didn't pay attention how close the ladder comes to the trailer, but did see there is a storage tray and underneath room for an anchor. The cover for this compartment fits really nice and had a positive metal latch to secure it. I ordered an extra pair of cleats on the bow to tie off to when docking or anchoring.

I would check the through hull on the bottom. I think they still installed a 3/4". The anti siphon loops are huge in comaprison to the old ones.

I'll check out the pumps and hull intakes tomorrow, but the empty thru-hulls are 1". All of the new changes were not available yet on the earlier production 12's.

Don't forget about mefi 6 and the APU (auto pull up). I'm really excited to test out that feature in the spring.

I will check out those features too, all part of the new GPS speed control system offered by Malibu.

Our MXZ arrived at the dealer late yesterday. It's at the dealer being prepped, but I hope to have it on the water Friday to break it in.

That is one nice looking boat...please bring it down to LKN at some point this summer so we can get a closer look. The metal flake paint is growing on me, at one time i thought it was just for bass boats but looks really good next to the black.. I wish the boss would let me get a new boat, i'd take that off your hands when your done.. :biggrin:

Thanks Crew...like all the models Malibu got it right on this one! I was out early today and put enough hours to give my son a pull before dark. The stock wake is impressive and I think the surf wake has good potential. I'm most impressed with the new Indmar/Malibu GPS speed control, hands-down the most accurate I've driven!

IMG_3395.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

Edited by thtrog

That is one nice looking boat...please bring it down to LKN at some point this summer so we can get a closer look. The metal flake paint is growing on me, at one time i thought it was just for bass boats but looks really good next to the black.. I wish the boss would let me get a new boat, i'd take that off your hands when your done.. :biggrin:

Very possible we will if a new Wake the World start up your way. We are not that far from and would be glad to give you a pull on Tuckertown. :rockon:

Thanks, I won't choke you with pictures...but I did get one of the stock wakeboard and surf wake. Just me and the stock 250 tank in the back. The next one it my son's girfriend driving, I didn't get much of the wake. :whistle:

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg