Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WakeBoarding Feedback Request

AdeL

Hi Guys

I only started wakeboarding 2 years ago and I only got my Malibu last year. Since this video was shot I have added a ballast system and perfect pass. I'm very serious about getting better at wakeboarding to the point of inverts. Looking at this video, I have a long way to go. Any pointers for gaining more height will be appreciated.

I no board at 21mph with 800lbs of ballast in the back, next year I'll be adding about 300lbs in the bow. My line is 55 to 65 feet now and I can clear the wake on the heel side and the toeside if I make a 45 degree angle to the wake.

Let me know if you see anything obviously wrong.

Thanks, have a great thanks giving.

It looks to me like you are absorbing the wake a little bit. You'll want to stand tall instead of hitting the wake with your knees bent. Also, I think you'll jump higher if you listen to music with a faster beat when you board!:Tease3:

Something that helped me when I was learning w2w was to try and hit the wake at a 90 degree angle. I know it's impossible but I mention it because you brought up the 45 degree angle in your post. Line tension is necessary and you can only get that by cutting all the way up the wake. So, to get this, I envisioned myself trying to hit the wake at a 90. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but put your effort into cutting all the way and then standing tall at the wake. Once you can predictably feel the 'pop' this creates every time you can start adding height by beefing up the wake with ballast.

When the line gets in front of the camera around 53 seconds, it looks like a nylon braided line. I could be wrong though. If not, wouldn't hurt to upgrade to spectra/dynema type for wakeboarding.

Agree with the above post. Maintain edge stronger up the wake and stand tall right at top of wake.

You're right about where I was beginning of the season and what helped me over the hump was 'even weight on both feet up the wake and really forcing the handle close to my waist'. Every approach to the wake I would just repeat in my mind, 'even weight, low handle, dig edge' and then POP, up and away i went. nearly pooped myself first time it all came together as the pop was so much higher than I had been getting.

like the other said, stiff knees when you hit the wake will give you some more air...

Also, not trying to sound like a snot, but the wake on the starboard side is kinda small and not very steep, the port wake is much more crisp...i'd suggest some more weight all around, balance your loads so your wake is equal on both sides, and play around with your speeds up 23MPH or so, often a crisp steep wake can give more air than a bigger rounded wake. Also try shifting weight forward to the bow and back and see how the wake responds.

I will agree, you are not standing tall at the wake. Also for really big air make your edge more progressive as you pass through the wake. I used to not like my boats wake when I first bought it cause I was so used to the my friends wake that was very steep and basically did all the work for you. After a year riding my wake I like the control I have on my boat with a more gradual transition. I realized form is much more important than wake size this year

You look like a tall guy from the video. I would widen your stance out as wide as your board will allow. Also, you're pulling into the wake with your arms already completely extended. Keep your elbows bent and down toward your waist so you don't get pulled over while in the air (my crew likes when I compare it to T-Rex arms :lol: ). After you stand tall at the wake, push the handle down for control.

Other than that, I agree with all previous comments.

Keep shredding!! :rockon:

Edited by Love2Ride

Handle placement is the key to everything. We took a few lessons from a pro and he stressed this over all else. Keep the handle in close to your waist every time you hit the wake. touching your belt is good. right after our lesson my son started doing inverts and w2w 360's. you will never do a 360 with your arms stretched out like that. 2 seasons with the malibu and adding lot's more ballast this year. and what everyone else said too.

Thanks Guys

I never expected so much feedback so quickly, I appreciate it. It's funny how some of the suggestions you have made I already know but when I look at the video I would never of seen the errors. It takes someone else to point them out to you.

The straight legs or stiff legs is a good one, the rope handle placement is great, I don't think I ever considered that. The driving the boat straight is the toughest, never tell your wife how to drive otherwise I you won't have a driver fro long.

The rope is a nylon wakeboard rope. I know the non stretch lines are available for about the $100 mark, do they actually make a difference, at my skill level I doubt that they would help me out much.

Once again thanks for the feedback. I'm now off to learn how to snowboard in the off season.

Thanks Guys

I never expected so much feedback so quickly, I appreciate it. It's funny how some of the suggestions you have made I already know but when I look at the video I would never of seen the errors. It takes someone else to point them out to you.

The straight legs or stiff legs is a good one, the rope handle placement is great, I don't think I ever considered that. The driving the boat straight is the toughest, never tell your wife how to drive otherwise I you won't have a driver fro long.

The rope is a nylon wakeboard rope. I know the non stretch lines are available for about the $100 mark, do they actually make a difference, at my skill level I doubt that they would help me out much.

Once again thanks for the feedback. I'm now off to learn how to snowboard in the off season.

adel i know what you mean about telling the wife how to drive.. it took a year for mine to work it out,,if you made her mad you just have to stop and try later on..but 5 years later and she is the best at it... has for the rope it makes the difference ..good rope has better feel and when you cut into wake no stretch and spring back..also what helped me out the most was riding with a pro for a day ,,,

Thanks Guys

It is all about HOW you talk to her. Be respectful, kind, loving and Chocolate never hurts.....good chocolate!