Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Alternator replacement

Crew,

I have a Monsoon II in a 1999 SSLXI. The stock alternator, or at least the alternator on the boat is a Leece Neville 51 amp.

Here is a photo of it. (yea, I am embarrassed by its condition, nothing else on my boat is so neglected)

IMG_7262.jpg

IMG_7265.jpg

Skidim has the Leece Neville 51 amp, new, so that is an option.

photo8.png

I have read all the forums about upgrading to a higher amp. I checked with DB alternators, and they advise that they do not have an alternator that will work for my application. (?) I am interested in the Delco 70 amp at Bakes. For my use, the 70 would be great, don't need to go any bigger.

I have a three wire pig tail, is the Delco 70 amp (which looks just like the db alternator) something that I can hook up, without re-wiring problems?

How do you hook up the delco with the plug on the back to the three wire pig tail?

photo9.png

Thanks

Edited by Bozboat

Crew,

I have a Monsoon II in a 1999 SSLXI. The stock alternator, or at least the alternator on the boat is a Leece Neville 51 amp.

Here is a photo of it. (yea, I am embarrassed by its condition, nothing else on my boat is so neglected)

IMG_7262.jpg

IMG_7265.jpg

Skidim has the Leece Neville 51 amp, new, so that is an option.

photo8.png

I have read all the forums about upgrading to a higher amp. I checked with DB alternators, and they advise that they do not have an alternator that will work for my application. (?) I am interested in the Delco 70 amp at Bakes. For my use, the 70 would be great, don't need to go any bigger.

I have a three wire pig tail, is the Delco 70 amp (which looks just like the db alternator) something that I can hook up, without re-wiring problems?

How do you hook up the delco with the plug on the back to the three wire pig tail?

photo9.png

Thanks

hope the rest of the boat looks better than the alt. yikes!!

Look at rebuild. I am sure most places have a shop that can rebuild. and if they can add a phase to increase the output. I think Malibu/Indmar new stuff is 90-100 amps.

Buy the Lecee 70 amp from Bakes. You will not regret having the extra amps. However, please heed this advice:

First off you made the right decision not buying the one from DB electrical. I installed that one and it caused me numerous problems including a broken bracket and a few choice words about cheap Chinese alternators.

Secondly you wire the new 70 amp alternator a little differently. It is self exciting so you need to permanently disconnect the purple wire coming from your dash, wrap it in electrical tape and leave it. Then the black wire from the harness goes to the negative lead on the alternator. The orange wire goes to the positive lead and then an additional 2 AWG wire goes from the positive lead on alternator to the positive lead on the starter located on the opposite side of the engine. This is to prevent the original orange wire from melting under the additional load of 70 amps. Some people say you can go to the pos. on the battery terminal but I felt differently.

Hope this helps.