Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Whats it look like Torn Apart?

Ndawg12

I always thought it would be cool to have a section that shows different sections of our boats torn apart. If the mods like the idea and want to move this the resource/DIY section, feel free. Short of internally tearing apart the motor, I've had alot of my boat torn apart over the last few years. I always thought it would be helpful to have a few pics to use as a reference before I got started. Feel free to post any more up.

2006 vRide Bow Seatbacks removed:

With all the cushion threads going around I thought this might be helpful. Ordering skins from Chee and installing them yourself is not that hard and requires minimal tools that you may all ready have. But here's what the bow looks like with no seatbacks, I wonder how much malibu pays their beavers to drill there holes?:whistle:

_DeviceMemory_home_user_pictures_IMG00031.jpg

_DeviceMemory_home_user_pictures_IMG00030.jpg

_DeviceMemory_home_user_pictures_IMG00029.jpg

_DeviceMemory_home_user_pictures_IMG00028.jpg

I will take some pics in the next few days of the actuall seatbacks so you can see how they're attached.

Based on what Nate said in the post the holes are all factory:lame: You would think they would be a bit neater.

Thanks for posting the pics :kewlpics:

I figured they were factory, but what was going thru them? It's like someone was looking for a stud in a wall.

I wonder how much malibu pays their beavers to drill there holes?:whistle:

Ain't that the truth! I was really shocked to see the hole they drilled to mount the navigation light on the bow. Good thing that part of the hull isn't subject to stress, or I would have had spider cracks all over the place. I installed a pop-up light, which required a much bigger hole. So I was at least able to remove all evidence of such a hack job...

as devils advocate, i'd suggest that:

• some of the scratches, near the 1"ish holes, are from the mounting studs raking the glass during the installation and removal of the upholstered components. the scratches could have been caused by the owner or service facility; hopefully not the manufacturer.
  • many of the 1"ish holes may be drilled from the back side before the upper and lower molds are assembled. drilling from the back side allows the gel to pop (ugly) as the cutting blade breaks through. malibu might wish to consider drilling from the gel side to avoid this mess?

if you allow the above two elements a 'pass' then the major remaining ugly is the series of holes that appear to have been made while in search of a studLOL.gif. i'm hoping the op will be able to contribute a logical reason for them. i just can't come up with anything that fits.

in the end there are far too many hidden items (like these) that contribute to an impression that is less than quality. i do understand that the limited production numbers force these rigs to be built as one-ups but i still believe that addressing a hand full of flaws (like this) would go a long way to increasing a quality rep..

some of this 'hidden' ugly makes me agree w Ndawg12's statement "I wonder how much malibu pays their beavers".

i thought it may help to have pix of a finished vRide:

1B868763-AFC5-43D7-B633-83EF4507827E_10.jpg

144753243.jpg

_DeviceMemory_home_user_pictures_IMG00029-1.jpgMy intent is really not to point out the fact that the holes look like they were cut out with a rusty butter knife.... The attached picture shows the used holes. They simply used fender washers bigger than those holes along with a lock washer and nut along the sides.

The 1" holes are for the seat mounting hardware. They have to be bigger to allow some play for the seat going in. I don't see scratches, the black marks are from a grease pencil marking where the holes are drilled. The holes are not drilled from the outside in they are from the inside. That is part of the top deck and the holes are drilled in prep for rigging after the hull and deck have been mated. A stencil is used to mark all the holes that are drilled on the boat with some room for ingenuity depending on the boat's options. The big hole in the very front is not for the bow light but to access the bow eye. The glass in the bow eye area is VERY substantial and you'd never get the eye tight using a stubby wrench around the deck. Nothing in those pictures bothers me in the slightest, and yes, that's what it look like within a few days of a baby's (boat) birth. The pencil sized holes are baffling me though.

If those pictures bother y'all, you do NOT want to see the stenciling/drilling process at the factory! In fact if you look closer that entire hole in the wall is "custom", not part of the mold.

The larger holes are necessary to mount the panel flat. 90% of the upholstery panels can not be installed against the fiberglass flat - meaning they must be installed slightly curved or rolled into place - which means the mounting studs must move laterally or vertically during the process. To accomplish this a larger opening works perfectly to provide the finished job we expect.

The multiple small holes are pre drilled to allow the installer to install a fastener at the optimum location to again provide the finished product we look for. Most backing materials have some memory and may not be completely thermodynamically stable, so by having the option of installing a fastener in multiple locations allows the installer the ability to fasten the panel perfectly.

Hope that sheds some light.

Peter

The larger holes are necessary to mount the panel flat. 90% of the upholstery panels can not be installed against the fiberglass flat - meaning they must be installed slightly curved or rolled into place - which means the mounting studs must move laterally or vertically during the process. To accomplish this a larger opening works perfectly to provide the finished job we expect.

The multiple small holes are pre drilled to allow the installer to install a fastener at the optimum location to again provide the finished product we look for. Most backing materials have some memory and may not be completely thermodynamically stable, so by having the option of installing a fastener in multiple locations allows the installer the ability to fasten the panel perfectly.

Hope that sheds some light.

Peter

It does :thankyou:

If someone has photos of the same locations on a 2008 LSV that would be awesome .... :)

(still trying to get my front panels out - LOL!)

Generally speaking they are the same. Wear long sleeves and stick your arm up there! It's not hard.

Ain't that the truth! I was really shocked to see the hole they drilled to mount the navigation light on the bow. Good thing that part of the hull isn't subject to stress, or I would have had spider cracks all over the place. I installed a pop-up light, which required a much bigger hole. So I was at least able to remove all evidence of such a hack job...

My boat has the factory pop up nav light, and does have a couple small stress cracks in the gel coat right under the light. I'd hate to see the hole if I took it apart!