Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sugest a tower navigation light

Nitrousbird

I want to upgrade to a tower nav light, as right now we just use the light pole in the back. My wife heard that idea and loved it, as she hates having to install and remove it, and hoping it works (had intermittent issues on my last boat, and this one had issues until I cleaned corrosion on the contacts).

Suggest me a decent one. I have the OEM Skylon Swoop tower.

I want to upgrade to a tower nav light, as right now we just use the light pole in the back. My wife heard that idea and loved it, as she hates having to install and remove it, and hoping it works (had intermittent issues on my last boat, and this one had issues until I cleaned corrosion on the contacts).

Suggest me a decent one. I have the OEM Skylon Swoop tower.

The Skylon uses a Attwood Light on their towers. I am sure you can get one from Paul @ Bakes. Not sure if this is the oem or not http://www.iboats.com/Attwood-LED-Wakeboard-Tower-Fixed-Mount-All-Round-Light/dm/view_id.484095 or here is a nice looking Roswell http://www.onlyinboards.com/AccessoryShop/Products/Tower-Lights/Roswell-S-I-Navigation-Light.aspx or here is Monster Towers http://www.onlyinboards.com/AccessoryShop/Products/Tower-Lights/Monster-Navigation-Light.aspx

Edited by old skool malibu
  • 2 years later...

I did the Attwood puck light. I wouldn't do it again. You basically have the tear the plastic up a bit to get it apart and isn't the greatest looking unit out there. I'd do a flip-up light up there if I were to do it again. Technically mine isn't "legal" as the tower tow point is at the same height so at one specific angle you may not see the light directly. Boat cops have seen me a couple times at night and didn't notice/care so I suppose its a non-issue.

And if you find a filler plate for the pole socket, let me know. Mine serves no purpose now. I've considered creating a GoPro mount for it but I've never taken the time to do so.

I thought about using the spare hole for a flag holder. Get some type of stupid flag or maybe a dive flag, that would maybe keep the wallies at bay....

I just did mine using the puck style that bakes sells. I took my tow point off and turned the top portion flat on a lathe. Then drilled a hole for one wire to go through to the bottom and cut a small channel for the wire to come out so it can go into the front hoop of my t1.

I also polished it since the top powdercoat was chipped from the machining. post-15476-14092450867179_thumb.jpgpost-15476-14092450994842_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I would have drilled a hole through the bolt and gone out the bottom and into the tower but with the design of the Titan I would have to disconnect the wire each time we drop the tower.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1667

That is the one I used. The titan mad one looks great but I couldn't swallow the extra 125 for a new base.

If you don't have access to a lather grant on ww used a hose clamp as a guide and used a hacksaw to cut off the rounded portion.

I wish I took more pics, I had the one wire hole then drilled and tapped two 8/32 machine screws to hold it down. The plastic base is kind of cheesy but the top and o-ring look to be solid.

I left one prong touching the metal of the pull point so I only have to run one wire. Then I will ground the tower to the electrical system.

So for about 3" the black wire will be exposed between the base of the pull point and the front tubes where it goes into the tower. So hopefully no one will see it or be able to snag it.

Could you run the wire down through the flat plate then into the end of the tube? I can't remember how exactly the front and rear come together there. Nice work though, this is definitely a project I am going to be doing this winter. Thanks!

I just did mine using the puck style that bakes sells. I took my tow point off and turned the top portion flat on a lathe. Then drilled a hole for one wire to go through to the bottom and cut a small channel for the wire to come out so it can go into the front hoop of my t1.

I also polished it since the top powdercoat was chipped from the machining. attachicon.gif20140828_113523.jpgattachicon.gif20140828_113532.W

We did the same thing, same light but did go thru the bolt and have a connector under it we have to disconnect to lower the tower which we typically only do in the winter for storage, SOOOO much better then the pole light.

Edited by mainekneeboarder

We did the same thing, same light but did go thru the bolt and have a connector under it we have to disconnect to lower the tower which we typically only do in the winter for storage, SOOOO much better then the pole light.

Pics please :biggrin:

I'll try tonite. I just ground the bottom plastic of the light to match the curve of the spool thou, he went the extra mile to turn the spool down!

Now I really want to see pics. If I could do that it seems like it would be easier.

Here are the pics, boats a little dirty as its been sitting at camp for the past few weeks. Where is a good place to get the original knob tower bolt, I say I need to replace that bolt with atleast a little shorter allen bolt every winter when I fold the tower down. We lost it I think two years ago now, its something I just cant seem to remember, Maybe now that I have taken a picture of it mid season I will get it done.

post-5050-0-83185600-1409599691_thumb.jp

post-5050-0-12686500-1409599706_thumb.jp

• Like 1