Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My New Ride

BFrank

Hey Guys just picked up my first Malibu. I was a die hard Tige owner before!! Drove down to Nashville on Friday to pick her up, too bad its only 38 degrees here in Wisconsin. Hopeing to get her out once before the lake freezes!!

Its a 2000 Sunsetter LXI with only 219 hours.

069-1.jpg

068-1.jpg

219 hrs only..wow thats only 10 hrs per year. I put 100 on my vTX the first year and we dont get much summer up here in Alberta! Nice boat..will you be adding a tower or any mods?

219 hrs only..wow thats only 10 hrs per year. I put 100 on my vTX the first year and we dont get much summer up here in Alberta! Nice boat..will you be adding a tower or any mods?

Not sure on mods yet, we are really a slalom family. So not sure on the tower, we do need to install a bimini. I was looking at it and not sure how or where I would screw in the brackets to add a bimini.

Good looking boat!

Is that a stainless steel prop on her (CVP)? If so, you might want to look for a NiBrAl (Acme or OJ) replacement

while in the off-season. It's always nice to have a spare prop anyway, but you can probably get better performance

from a CNC'd NiBrAl propeller than from those older SS propellers.

I seem to remember those SS props having a sketchy reputation, sometimes throwing a blade. Probably a rare

occurrence.

Good looking boat!

Is that a stainless steel prop on her (CVP)? If so, you might want to look for a NiBrAl (Acme or OJ) replacement

while in the off-season. It's always nice to have a spare prop anyway, but you can probably get better performance

from a CNC'd NiBrAl propeller than from those older SS propellers.

I seem to remember those SS props having a sketchy reputation, sometimes throwing a blade. Probably a rare

occurrence.

I have an 13x13 4 blade OJ in the basement, do you know what the shaft size is for my boat? The prop I have is for an 1 1/8. I'll have to crawl down to see if I can read the prop on it.

As far as mounting bimini, I mounted mine at about the half-way point of the side windows. Essentlially the flattest spot was right up against the window.

My only issue with that is, I trailer the boat, so, I have to take the bimini off each time to put the cover on. The cover is too tight to go over with the bimini, even though the bimini is collapsed.

I'd take a pic, but she's in storage. Ohh, mines 95 so I dont know if the hull is quite the same.

The bimini kit I got told which drill size was needed, etc. Very easy to install.

Steve B.

As far as mounting bimini, I mounted mine at about the half-way point of the side windows. Essentlially the flattest spot was right up against the window.

My only issue with that is, I trailer the boat, so, I have to take the bimini off each time to put the cover on. The cover is too tight to go over with the bimini, even though the bimini is collapsed.

I'd take a pic, but she's in storage. Ohh, mines 95 so I dont know if the hull is quite the same.

The bimini kit I got told which drill size was needed, etc. Very easy to install.

Steve B.

Cool Thanks, there is not much room by where the windo meets the fiberglass. Thats why I was sondering if there might be some type of side mount as well.

Cool Thanks, there is not much room by where the windo meets the fiberglass. Thats why I was sondering if there might be some type of side mount as well.

Great looking BU, I hope you have the same luck I did with mine, I pickup up a 98 Sunsetter last October with 135 hours on it. This year I was just shy of putting 200 hours on her. My crew loves the BU. We were mainly skiers, as well but now they wakeboard and wakeskate also. Have a short winter.

Was going to try to ski today, but mother nature has other plans!!! 20 mile per hour gusts have shut us down!! So I guess I'll winterize her and tuck her in for the winter!! :badmood:

Wow, nice looking boat. Bought my slxi in march 2 years ago stored in my garage, So I could sit in her and listen to the stereo and crack a beer. long couple of months though. Wait was worth it, ski wake is awesome. Lots of prop info on older threads. Congrats

Wow, nice looking boat. Bought my slxi in march 2 years ago stored in my garage, So I could sit in her and listen to the stereo and crack a beer. long couple of months though. Wait was worth it, ski wake is awesome. Lots of prop info on older threads. Congrats

From what I've read she is supposed to have a great slalom wake....just have to wait till May to find out!!

Attached is a picture of my boat with the bimini opened. It has mounts on the side windows and just few inches back from where the window meets the fiberglass. Straps to the front that connect into eyes.

With the rear supports, the top will fold back and can be left installed. To remove it completely, i pull two pins on the window clamps and two on the sides.

It is pretty solid underway on the water. I always remove it when towing the boat.

There is another view of the boat in my profile.

Let me know if interested in the details an I can find the link to the hardware. The bimini itself is from the factory.

(apologies for the photo quality - it was taken with an older phone and is the only one I can find)

post-7974-087146900 1322445028_thumb.jpg

Edited by Soon2BV

Attached is a picture of my boat with the bimini opened. It has mounts on the side windows and just few inches back from where the window meets the fiberglass. Straps to the front that connect into eyes.

With the rear supports, the top will fold back and can be left installed. To remove it completely, i pull two pins on the window clamps and two on the sides.

It is pretty solid underway on the water. I always remove it when towing the boat.

There is another view of the boat in my profile.

Let me know if interested in the details an I can find the link to the hardware. The bimini itself is from the factory.

(apologies for the photo quality - it was taken with an older phone and is the only one I can find)

If you could find a link to the hardware that would be great, when you say on the side windows and just few inches back from where the window meets the fiberglass is the bracket on the flat? flat meaning where the window meets the fiberglass?

Push Pins for Side Clips

Gunnel Mount

Taco Fittings

I used 2 of the Overtons mounts, 2 of the Taco fittings G and A, and 2 of the Overtons pins.

The Taco fittings have a radius on the bottom and mount to the windshield top rais (mine are round). they are about 1/2 way up the side window sides.

The gunnel mounts are few inches back from where the windshield meets the gunnel (I think that is the right term).

I used other stainless steel fittings from Overtons to connect the support poles (also Overtons) to the poles on the bimini.

Edited by Soon2BV