Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question on back cushion...

On my 2006 VLX, the back hinged center cushion, the one directly over the engine, appears to have rotten wood on the inside. On the cushion side, the screws at the base hinge are corroded and won't tighten.

Can anyone give me details on how that cushion is assembled before I go tearing into it? I'm guessing it's just foam over plywood?

Thanks for the help!

--Ryan

There definitely is not wood in there unless someone went in and put wood in there after the factory.

The base of the panel should be honeycomb aluminum.

Something like this..

aluminum_honeycomb_panel_with_PE_coating.jpg

I'm guessing that the screws just stripped out. Try installing the next size up screw?

There definitely is not wood in there unless someone went in and put wood in there after the factory.

The base of the panel should be honeycomb aluminum.

Something like this..

aluminum_honeycomb_panel_with_PE_coating.jpg

I'm guessing that the screws just stripped out. Try installing the next size up screw?

Pete beat me to it. No wood in your boat at all.

So, no wood unless something fishy is going on (I did buy it used). Is it plastic or the honeycomb? Then again, does it matter--next size larger screw would be the fix in either case it would seem.

I did look again after posting. One of the screw heads was just laying there, completly rusted off. Seems odd, I would think those would be SS.

R

Unless he has the "correct" style of swim platform. :blush:

Yea mine is TEAK however most have gone to the plastic and I dont think you can even get a real platform anymore. :( With the OP haveing an 06 I am guessing plastic.

Edited by REW