Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 VLX Quick Drain Question?

My 2006 VLX appears to have a knock sensor on both of the engine drain plugs (one each side). I was hoping to add a T and ball valve to be able to open and easily drain the block without tools. But, I'm concerned with engine performance if I do that. Will moving the knock sensor about 2" from the engine block, but still rigidly connected to the block with brass fittings affect the knock sensor and then the engine performance?

For better or worse, we are in Northwest Arkansas and wakeboard/boat all winter. For the past two years, I've used an extreme heater and opened the drains on the block (which would be the high dollar repair as I see it) and been fine all winter with no issues.

On a separate issue, how can a hot water shower be hooked up to this engine? On my 2001 Sunsetter VLX, one engine drain had the knock sensor, and the other was connected to the shower hot water line.

Thanks for any help and feedback!

--Ryan

do not space out the knock sensors. it WILL affect how it "sees" the knock from detonation. Paul from Bakes has said before a few engines have been toasted by doing what you are thinking of doing. I can pull out a knock sensor in under a minute, so I think that's fast enough and doesn't affect how it registers knock.

as for the shower, my hot line is hooked up to the head somewhere above the port side knock sensor. I'd really have to crawl up under there to see exactly where, but it is on the port side of the motor.

Glad I asked and thanks for the reply. It seems, in just looking at it, like such a minor thing to space off the block.

Any other options to get a quick valve drain off the engine block? It's not hard to get to as is, but it would be so much easier not to have to grab a wrench to get it off.

Thanks!

R