Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Not sure if this is the place to do it! but i have a few questions!

Malibu924

We love our VTX but are heavily biased to skiing. The diamond hull puts out a nice soft wake as long as the boat is sitting light and there are not too many people aboard. Skiing with 6-9 people in the boat would not be fun. We don't board much but do use it to surf and it can put out a pretty nice wave with a little extra weight. The picture below is with all but surf side MLS full, 750 in the surf side locker and another 370 under the passenger side seat as far forward as possible. We don't use the wedge and at the time the picture was taken only the driver is in the boat, add people and it only gets better.

By the sounds of it a VLX is probably your best bet based on the size of your crew....if you are not serious about skiing I don't see a diamond hull being a tight requirement. Enjoy the search!

6333038804_bc4c8d4f00.jpg

IMG_0575 by FlickFest, on Flickr

So I know someone else suggested getting the diamond hull but I whole-heartedly disagree. You stated you are mainly looking to wakeboard right? Then get the wake hull! Just because you might want to "ski occasionally" doesn't mean you can't do that behind the wake hull, in fact I pull my dad behind my 23 lsv (wake hull) every year for his annual slalom run. I understand someone on this thread got it and is happy with it but I wouldn't ever endorse getting a boat that's half for one thing and half for the other - it's going to be sub par at both. I'd rather have a boat that gives me the best experience for one thing, and heck if I want to ski once in a while then ski behind the wake hull. It's not like I'm going to be hard into wakeboarding and also want to slalom at some ridiculously short line length while having the flattest wake ever.

Again, I understand some people want to do it all and don't care if their boat is the best at any of them. For those people I can understand. You stated you wanted to primarily wakeboard (in fact you have someone in the family that has a ski boat already), you originally set out to get a wakeboarding boat. I think it would be best if you did that. My vote is vlx with the wake hull.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

To answer Malibu 924's question, when I go out early in the morning with just one other person, I fill the bow, center, and rear port stock tanks, put ~1100 sac in the rear port locker, a 400 tube sac under the port side seat, and 750 on the port seat. I figure that simulates a good-size crew. I put the automatic wedge all the way down, and I use some bags of lead to tweak the wave. For the starboard (goofy) side, there is no room for the 400 pound tube sac, so I skip it. When I have a group of guys going I don’t need the 750 lb sac on the seat.

I typically go between 9.8 and 10.8.

For beginners I skip the wedge -- it makes the wave too big. But once people get up and can throw the rope, then the wedge gives the wave extra push to help people stay in the pocket.

As for wakeboarder3780's comment - I agree -- somewhat. If you're a hard-core wakeboarder who competes then I'd get the wakesetter hull. However, the hotshot wakeboarders who've come out on my boat can't tell the difference between my wave and their wakesetter hull wave.

Net, if you're someone that wants an all-around great boat, I'd put my vote behind the diamond hull (as you get an excellent wakeboard wave, a great surf wake and the option to water ski).

Spoke with a Bu rep tonight. He said they did a blind test with their pro riders. IIRC he said it was behind a 23 LSV. One had a diamond hull, the other had a wake hull. Stock ballast. All of the riders picked and liked the wake behind the diamond hull; except Randall the Vandal. He picked the wake hull. And his only reason was because he thought the wake would be better with additional ballast.

So I know someone else suggested getting the diamond hull but I whole-heartedly disagree. You stated you are mainly looking to wakeboard right? Then get the wake hull! Just because you might want to "ski occasionally" doesn't mean you can't do that behind the wake hull, in fact I pull my dad behind my 23 lsv (wake hull) every year for his annual slalom run. I understand someone on this thread got it and is happy with it but I wouldn't ever endorse getting a boat that's half for one thing and half for the other - it's going to be sub par at both. I'd rather have a boat that gives me the best experience for one thing, and heck if I want to ski once in a while then ski behind the wake hull. It's not like I'm going to be hard into wakeboarding and also want to slalom at some ridiculously short line length while having the flattest wake ever.

Again, I understand some people want to do it all and don't care if their boat is the best at any of them. For those people I can understand. You stated you wanted to primarily wakeboard (in fact you have someone in the family that has a ski boat already), you originally set out to get a wakeboarding boat. I think it would be best if you did that. My vote is vlx with the wake hull.

Thanks Skurfer you beat me to it!

Just remember the only diff between the two is over 28mph. Some time ago Malibu did a blind test with their pro riders and all but one picked the diamond hull for best wakeboard wake. The only rider who didnt was Randall and I assume you can guess why! The dude rides at 28mph plus so the diamond hull would make a smaller wake at that speed the the lifting effect of the diamond hull would come into play!

Edited by old skool malibu

I had an 05 VLX and now have an 05 XTI.I wouldnt write off the xti alot sportier handling imo and it throws a great wake surfing or wakeboarding. I can also empty the ballast pull up the wedge and my slalom buddies can have a great set. I actually like the seperate seating areas and being able to step right onto the swim platform instead of crawling across the sundeck.Just something for ya to think about. I would test all 3.

Spoke with a Bu rep tonight. He said they did a blind test with their pro riders. IIRC he said it was behind a 23 LSV. One had a diamond hull, the other had a wake hull. Stock ballast. All of the riders picked and liked the wake behind the diamond hull; except Randall the Vandal. He picked the wake hull. And his only reason was because he thought the wake would be better with additional ballast.

Bingo...you all are kidding yourself if you can tell the difference. I had forgotten about that blind test.

Again we can write all we want, but the best way to determine is simply to ride behind each.