Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Not sure if this is the place to do it! but i have a few questions!

Malibu924

im looking into buying one of these three models in the next few months, a vlx, vtx, or xti around an 06-07 and i was just getting everyones opinions on there boat and what you would buy if you were me!

First a couple of questions for you.

1.What watersports do you plan on doing?

2.How big is your crew?

3.How large a storage space do you have?

4.If you have kids, what ages are they.

All three boats are great but they each have their pros and cons.

I am sure that a lot of owners will chime in with their two cents.

Any way you go, you will have a great boat!

Good luck

Trent

Long story short my dad has a malibu sunsetter, pretty old but very clean and im not too much of a water skier, this sparked my idea of buying a new boat which was more toned for the wake boarding era rather than skiing, i go to the lake with around 6-9 buddys at a time, and my storage space is unlimited but id rather not go for a 23 nor 24 foot, and no kids! also diamond hull? or no diamond hull?

thank you!

Keaton

thank you! i was just wondering i dont want to spend that much money and not get the best deal for it, the reason why im thinking diamond hull just in case i have someone with me wanting to ski? what do you think?

I went through the same debate in 2007 - and actually bought a VLX with the diamond hull, and I'm SO happy that I did. My rationale:

• I figured the xti would have the best ski wake, but I was getting too old to think I'd be doing serious skiing in the course, and I wanted something that would be good for wakeboarding and wake surfing too. And I didn't like the seating arrangement in the xti. So it was between the VTX and the VLX.

• I figured the VTX would have a better ski wake than the Wakesetter VLX. But I researched this, and was convinced that the VTX was only marginally better than the Wakesetter VLX if you ordered the VLX with the diamond hull. In fact, one of the Malibu slalom woman riders used a Wakesetter VLX with the Diamond Hull as her personal boat at the time.

• The VLX was larger and had more seating room that the VTX to hold a larger crew.

• The VLX had more freeboard so you could put more ballast in it if you wanted to surf.

This last point pushed me over the edge, and I'm SO glad I went with the VLX. I have hotshot wake boarders that love my wake, I can ski behind my boat, and most importantly, I get a great surfing wave.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you some photos of surfing and wakeboarding behind a Diamond Hull VLX.

Is your wake surf just as good as the wake hull? I have an 08 VLX and like to ski from time to time and the wake is pretty big but don't want to give up my huge surf wake..... or doesn't it matter at slow speeds as long as you have the correct ballast? Send pics.... [email protected]

6-9 peeps the VLX will do fine we regularly run 8 and isn’t an issue. As far as the diamond hull vs. the wake hull it really isn’t an issue imho if you wakeboard/surf. The up lift the diamond hull produced isn’t noticeable until you reach ~28mph+. The slalom wake isn’t going to be a DD quality but will be much better than a non-diamond hull. If you have people that are open recreational skiers the vlx diamond hull will more than likely be fine. However, if they are used to running in the course….well no so much.

Here is a video of member Brad B, granted it’s a 23LSV, but it’s on the diamond hull. You’ll get the idea that a diamond hull is a nonfactor for surfing.

Thank you guys! it seems like the diamond hull is the way to go? on a vlx

Well imho it isn't a deal breaker by any means but as we tell anyone that is looking test drive and ride behind boat hulls. That way you know for sure what works for you.

I have a buddy with an 05 wakesetter vlx without the diamond hull, so would the 06-07 wakesetter vlx be the same? so i would only have to test out the vtx and xti?

One thing to remember is that the VTX never came out until 2007

sorry, im not quite sure what you were trying to get at! if you could help me out!

Just a quick reminder that there is no 06 VTX's out there. That is all.

I think from what you have said the VLX is the boat of choice for you. But as the DUDE above said. Try before you buy. If you can.

I have a buddy with an 05 wakesetter vlx without the diamond hull, so would the 06-07 wakesetter vlx be the same? so i would only have to test out the vtx and xti?

Correct the '05 VLX is the same as the 06' or '07, except the power wedge wasn't available until '06.

sorry, im not quite sure what you were trying to get at! if you could help me out!

He's just stating that the VTX wasn't around before '07 model year.

oh alright! thank you guys i was digging a little deeper maybe thinking that being it was only made in 07 in was a tester year but i got it! so stating that the 05-07 is the same hull, has the vtx hull at all changed from 07 till now?

I agree with MalibuDude. The diamond hull chines don't seem to affect the wake at the lower speeds used for wakeboarding and surfing. Here are some photos of the wake behind my 07 VLX with the diamond hull.

Wakeboarding: http://lksamm.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=807&g2_serialNumber=2

Surfing: http://lksamm.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=848&g2_serialNumber=2

is that stock ballast you are running? and what speed do you surf at with what weight positioning?

Not sure Donnjeb's setup but I surf w/ a 750lbs bag in the rear compartment, 400 in the cabin and 400 front. Depending upon people in the boat I'll add another 500lbs power wedge one bump up. All ballast except for opposite side rear usually about 10.6-11.2 ish

In my opinion, people only buy the Xti because it is cheaper. Anyone that wants a ski-oriented boat will pick a different model DD than the Xti, as it won't produce the wake other Malibu DD's can provide.

I've been very happy with the Diamond Hull on my VLX. Wake really mellows out at 28+ MPH. Obviously not as good as a ski-focused DD, but worlds better than my light weight 17' I/O was at that speed. And it still provides a great Wakeboard wake with the wedge down and some weight in the front and rear.