Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WakeSurfing What board will work?

Cat

I want to buy a wakesurf board at the boat show in MPLS this weekend but don't know much about the sport.

My boat is the Response LXI with wedge, I plan on getting a sac to put in the floor ski locker that is about 350 lbs.

What do I need for sac weight & where should I put it?

What kind of wakesurfer board should I get?

Thanks

Cat

I actully happen to be the test rider for a test drive for a rlxi in novemeber, the wakesurfing wake was crazy!!! 4 fat sacs in the back corner, and the wave was huuuge to say the least. Anyboard will work on the wave, but you can get away with a smaller board if you want.

The locker sack makes the wake worse in our SSLXi. Get a 500lb sack and for the ski locker and use it when you wakeboard, when you surf take it out and put it in the back corner and you will be fine. I have a LF skimskate 5' board and its a really good board if you don't have a huge wake...buy Gregs

The Ski locker sac will put more force on the wedge making the wake bigger.

180 lbs riders for now

Hyperlitenerd: How much weight where in those 4 sacs?

What do you recommend for a 500 lbs sac that will fit in the ski locker. I can only find 350 ski locker sacs.

Thanks

Cat

Edited by Cat

Putting a sac in the ski locker would do little to no good on that boat. You're gonna have to get A LOT of weight in the rear of the boat to get some bowrise out of it. A regualr "Fatsac is 500#s, but will probably not fill up in the Rlxi locker. IMO, using a locker sac would detract from the surf wake, like jet ski suggested. I'm guessing HYLite nerd had close to 2000#s in the corner of that boat. Do NOT put a sac in the rear ski locker or you might be replacing some gasoline components qvery soon. Good luck.

By the way, you will be needing a BIG board if you want to be able to ride it without really overweighting ti like nerd. Look at a landlock.

BradB. made a good point the other weekend, they are using 200lb. sacks because, they are easier to move around and at the end of the day you can throw them over the side and take out both plugs to drain them, i.e. easier, quicker clean up at the end of the day.

I would get a bigger/floatier/faster board to start with like LF Skimskate, Landlock or Oogle. You can always get a smaller board for slashing and all that fancy stuff later but everyone will be able to have fun and experience success with a bigger board. No Joke, you will need(want) WAY more than 350#, probably 1,000# minimum, more if you can stand the sight of the rear corner only 4" away from impending disaster. Only kidding about the impending disaster part, but do be careful. I recommend the FlyHigh fat bricks, they are the bomb. 150# each and movable.

180 lbs riders for now

What do you recommend for a 500 lbs sac that will fit in the ski locker. I can only find 350 ski locker sacs.

Thanks

Cat

WRONG, that might be true for wakeboarding, but not for surfing. Putting weight up further in the boat like that (on that size boat) will make the wake smaller. You want ALL of your weight in the rear for surfing unless you were running 3000lbs. in the back w/wedge, which I think would sink and RLXi

Cat - Welcome to the site! I purchased my Phase 5 Oogle from MN Inboards. I absolutely love the board. It is very easy for riders of all sizes. I have had ladies weighing 100 lbs up to my bigger ballast buddies weighing in at 250. You will not be disappointed in the Oogle...plus they fit into most racks.

I am not sure if MN Inboard will have any for sale at the boat show. If they don't, and you purchased your Malibu from them, go ahead and wait for their spring sale and you should be able to get 20-25% off the board. I am planning on purchasing an Icon this year to try some tricks.

We are always looking for more people to hang out with up here, so let me know if you ever need a ride. I'm not too far away.

I will be at the boat show on Saturday morning.

Rob

Cat - Welcome to the site! I purchased my Phase 5 Oogle from MN Inboards. I absolutely love the board. It is very easy for riders of all sizes. I have had ladies weighing 100 lbs up to my bigger ballast buddies weighing in at 250. You will not be disappointed in the Oogle...plus they fit into most racks.

I am not sure if MN Inboard will have any for sale at the boat show. If they don't, and you purchased your Malibu from them, go ahead and wait for their spring sale and you should be able to get 20-25% off the board. I am planning on purchasing an Icon this year to try some tricks.

We are always looking for more people to hang out with up here, so let me know if you ever need a ride. I'm not too far away.

I will be at the boat show on Saturday morning.

Rob

Yep I bought it at MN Inboard... I'll look at prices at the boat show. I also will be there on Saturday morning.

I have never been able to make it to the MN Inboard spring sale, do they have alot of good deals?

Thanks

Cat

Edited by Cat

FWIW. I'm not a big surfer, so my experience is a bit limited. I have a '05 Response Lxi. Tried the surf thing this summer and found that the more we weighted the rear of the boat, the worse the wake became(and the boat difficult to drive). I tried various combinations of: wedge down, and a 500 lb. sac in the rear on the drivers side with four adults behind the driver, and a full front locker. The bow rise was so high, I had to stand to see to drive. I can produce a surfable wake with only the wedge down, and a driver side overload of passengers (two or three adults behind the driver). It seems that the more you weigh down the Rlxi, the less definition to the wake there is and so less desirable surfing. My son and I are riding a Hyperlite broadcast, 4'9" board. He goes ropeless. I prob. could if I had a bigger board.

I want to buy a wakesurf board at the boat show in MPLS this weekend but don't know much about the sport.

My boat is the Response LXI with wedge, I plan on getting a sac to put in the floor ski locker that is about 350 lbs.

What do I need for sac weight & where should I put it?

What kind of wakesurfer board should I get?

Thanks

Cat

Cat

From my experience you will need a lot more ballast than that. I think I finally have my RLX dialed in. I have 500lb sac in the bow, a 1200lb FLY high couch in the back with the rear seat removed, and a 700lb sac in the ski locker. I also have a wedge. I know this is a lot of weight, but it produces a very sweet wake for surfing especially for an RLX. With this weight I'm able to surf with just one person in the boat.

I agree with everyone else on the phase 5. I'll be buying one this spring after using Fijji Rob's Surprised.gif

Rob, you get a dry suite yet?

Putting a sac in the ski locker would do little to no good on that boat. You're gonna have to get A LOT of weight in the rear of the boat to get some bowrise out of it. A regualr "Fatsac is 500#s, but will probably not fill up in the Rlxi locker. IMO, using a locker sac would detract from the surf wake, like jet ski suggested. I'm guessing HYLite nerd had close to 2000#s in the corner of that boat. Do NOT put a sac in the rear ski locker or you might be replacing some gasoline components qvery soon. Good luck.

I tend to agree with this. Brazos' statement later on makes me think that something in that equation wasn't right - speed was my first thought (also, that 4'9" board is pretty small to be using behind an RLXI). If you have access to a couple of sacks or better yet a bunch of large friends, I'd experiment with it to see where the best weight distribution is. And John is right about the trunk, don't put a sack in there.

Another good brand to look at would be Inland Surfer, either the Green (all beginner) or the Blue. Bottom line is that with that boat, you want a board with a lot of flotation. The LF Skimskate & CWB Ride are a couple others that would be good to try as well.

180 lbs riders for now

Thanks

Cat

WRONG, that might be true for wakeboarding, but not for surfing. Putting weight up further in the boat like that (on that size boat) will make the wake smaller. You want ALL of your weight in the rear for surfing unless you were running 3000lbs. in the back w/wedge, which I think would sink and RLXi

I disagree, with all the weight in the rear the bow rise is way to high and you have to stand to see over it.

The other problem is with these smaller boats, and having all the weight in the back, the surfable area of the wake is less than a foot off the swim platform.

Putting weight in the bow, pushes the wake back about 3-4' off the swim platform. giving the surfer a lot more room to surf and less worrying about hitting the swim platform

The other is concentrating the weight on the side of the surfer as much as possible.

Although my sacs have a capacity of 2400lbs, I'm guess i'm running closer to the 2100-2200lb area

After adding all this weight I switched from a 515 ACME to a 525 which has more torque at lower rpm's

and easier on the transmission :)

This is what I have found to work on a RLX, maybe a RLXI is different, but I'm guessing it's not by much especially with a 3.5" beam difference and 6" longer on over all length

180 lbs riders for now

Thanks

Cat

I disagree, with all the weight in the rear the bow rise is way to high and you have to stand to see over it.

The other problem is with these smaller boats, and having all the weight in the back, the surfable area of the wake is less than a foot off the swim platform.

Putting weight in the bow, pushes the wake back about 3-4' off the swim platform. giving the surfer a lot more room to surf and less worrying about hitting the swim platform

The other is concentrating the weight on the side of the surfer as much as possible.

Although my sacs have a capacity of 2400lbs, I'm guess i'm running closer to the 2100-2200lb area

After adding all this weight I switched from a 515 ACME to a 525 which has more torque at lower rpm's

and easier on the transmission :)

This is what I have found to work on a RLX, maybe a RLXI is different, but I'm guessing it's not by much especially with a 3.5" beam difference and 6" longer on over all length

Yeah that would be fine but he is talking about getting one sack and with only 1 sack and the wedge he will need it all in the back. If he puts in a fat seat (1200lbs.) and two side sacks (540lbs. each) then yeah he should put some weight in the bow, but until then I think he wants it all in the back or all consentrated in one corner of the back. We have found that the wedge, 500lbs behind the engine and 3-4 people on one side is best for us....that was until I got another fat sack for Christmas Biggrin.gif . But our boat is a lot different then a RLXi...

The 4 sacs we used were about 300 each. plus wedge, and the sales guy. It was huge. I think a rlxi might actully be a great setup for wakesurfing, small boat = easier to sink. No storage areas in the back to limit size, just put them in the corner, and stack them up, add people, and you have quite the wave. get a few of these bad boys, and watch the rubrail! fat sac

Trust me. With the Rlxi, less is more. I cannot imagine putting 2000 - 3000 lbs of ballast it this boat (well maybe, if you surf by yourself). You cannot see over the bow when driving, and the bow is going under when you stop and turn. Overloading one side of the boat/wake will give you much better performance than an extreme amount of weight. I think that the shape of the wake is as important as the overall size. More weight equals larger wake with foamy top and no definition. Less weight equals adequate size with good definition, and defined crest with about a six foot sweet spot. In general, I have found the Rlxi to be extremely weight sensitive. I much prefer the slalom wakes when my 120 lb. wife drives rather than when my 275 lb. friend does. Even at slow speeds, this weight sensitivity is an issue.

I do believe the "front weight theory" when using the wedge. As the rear of the boat sinks due to the rear sacs, you negate the effect of the wedge. If you push down the bow, the effect of the wedge comes back into play, increasing the total down force. At what speed this is really effective I am uncertain. How this affects the shape of the wake is also an issue, but the physics of this matter is correct.

To be honest I really don't want to have 2000-3000 lbs of ballast in the rear corner. I like to be able to walk around in my boat and have the rear seat still in place for friends and my 100 lbs dog.

I was just hoping I could use a ski locker sac that would help my wakeboarding wake a little and still be able to wakesurf. But it sounds like I might have to get one giant sac to put in the corner along with my ski locker sac.

I'll ask around during the boat show and see what everyone recommends.

Thanks for all the info. I got some good leads on some used wakesurfer boards.

What speed does everyone wakesurf at anyways?

Thanks

Cat

With all due respect, I dissent from the opinion that the rear end does not need the weight. Being able to see over the bow, is a give and take, and has nothing to do with the surf wake. If its washy, the speed is too slow. I do agree that the side weighting is important, but strongly disagree that adding weight to the front is good. For wakeboarding, you need weight in the front to add size and detract from steepness. In surfing, you need the maximum "dig" out the the corner of the boat, steep is OK. That comes, most easily, through weighing the rear. Weighting the rear is also safer than getting ANY weight foreward of the engine because of the low bow. The bottom line is that the rlxi is a light boat designed to ride a top the water. To counteract its inherent wakesurf problems, weight is needed in the rear.

I surf at 10.5 on the landlock---11.3 on my buddy's 4'6".

With all due respect, I dissent from the opinion that the rear end does not need the weight. Being able to see over the bow, is a give and take, and has nothing to do with the surf wake. If its washy, the speed is too slow. I do agree that the side weighting is important, but strongly disagree that adding weight to the front is good. For wakeboarding, you need weight in the front to add size and detract from steepness. In surfing, you need the maximum "dig" out the the corner of the boat, steep is OK. That comes, most easily, through weighing the rear. Weighting the rear is also safer than getting ANY weight foreward of the engine because of the low bow. The bottom line is that the rlxi is a light boat designed to ride a top the water. To counteract its inherent wakesurf problems, weight is needed in the rear.

I fully agree with you on the weight in the rear issue that's why I have close to 1600lbs back there. But to much bow rise is counter productive especially when the wake is right off the swim platform and you can't see, steering becomes affected because most of your keel is in the air.

If my wake is foamy on top or dirty I concentrate more weight on the side common to the surfer to clean it up and give it more of a definition. Sounds like we all have different methods for wake shaping. :)

Which boat do you have?