Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fogging a newer catalyst monsoon

jcon44

OK, so i've been reading all the write ups on winterizing the newer 07-current monsoons and I'm still unsure where i should be fogging. In the past i thought removing the plugs and fogging each cylinder, but it appears that could make my boat explode! where should i be fogging? Thanks in advance :)

OK, so i've been reading all the write ups on winterizing the newer 07-current monsoons and I'm still unsure where i should be fogging. In the past i thought removing the plugs and fogging each cylinder, but it appears that could make my boat explode! where should i be fogging? Thanks in advance :)

I don't know what the owners manual says but I wouldn't bother fogging and risking ruining the cats.

here's what I did.... I pulled the spark plugs, fogged each cylinder and cranked the motor over with the plugs removed to move around the fogging solution, put the plugs back it. I'm hoping this was "ok"....?????

here's what I did.... I pulled the spark plugs, fogged each cylinder and cranked the motor over with the plugs removed to move around the fogging solution, put the plugs back it. I'm hoping this was "ok"....?????

you will probably be fine. One dose probably won't kill them

...I pulled the spark plugs, fogged each cylinder and cranked the motor over with the plugs removed to move around the fogging solution, put the plugs back it...

That is the "Indmar recommended" procedure. :thumbup:

We did the same thing last year and and nothing blew up but i dont want to push my luck. I was planning to it again this year but read that you should not fog each cylibnder on the newer 07-present monsoons. so confusing..... Here's what i read and why i started this tread VVVVV

**NOTE - Do not fog or add oil to cylinders of any engine that has catalytic converters attached to the exhaust system. Malibu starting using catalytic converters from roughly 2007 and later models. **

FACTOID – Pulling spark plugs and squirting an excessive amount of fogging oil or any other substance in cylinders can potentially cause major damage caused by a potential hydraulic lock. This is HIGHLY discouraged if you are un-familiar with engines.

Thanks for looking and any input. i'm hpoing to get her put up for winter this weekend.

Just a guess on my part, but I think if you pull the plugs, and turn 'er over a few times on de-winterization you should be fine.

I'm going to do the same thing on my old 95 just to let some fresh air and warmth in this spring.

Steve B.

Yes that is how Indmar recommends doing it with Cat equipped motors.

Yes that is how Indmar recommends doing it with Cat equipped motors.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

It will be important to crank the engine with the plugs out to blow out any extra and to evenly coat the cylinder.

FACTOID – Pulling spark plugs and squirting an excessive amount of fogging oil or any other substance in cylinders can potentially cause major damage caused by a potential hydraulic lock. This is HIGHLY discouraged if you are un-familiar with engines.

that's why I cranked over the motor with the plugs out. I squirted in each cylinder for @ 2 seconds and only a little sprayed out when my wife cranked over the motor. NO WAY it was gonna hydrolock that way. so......I'm not to worried now that everyone is saying that is the way to do it.

you dont need alot of oil in the combustion chamber... just enough to leave a film around the rings and cylinder walls and piston to keep the non aluminum parts from rusting