Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I want to convert my trailer from 14" wheels to 18"

Nitrousbird

I hear that, especially with any of the bigger boats some of you guys have. I hope your talking about a Malibu & not that little 205 in your profile. BTW, not sure where you got that pic..... but the guy who built that trampoline tower was living south of you near Houston.

My little Vride tops out at maybe 4200 lbs unloaded. So even fully loaded I think I'm still within the range of these tires. Frankly I didn't think they would last as long as they have so far. But after seeing the problems some of you guys have had with "trailer tires" from Carlisle & Goodyear, I'll probably keep using these, maybe bump up in capacity.

Not to call you out or anything, but are you guessing or have you actually weighed it? I was guessing with my last VLX, & was shocked at what the number actually was when I weighed it (accurately, unhitched from the truck).

Not to call you out or anything, but are you guessing or have you actually weighed it? I was guessing with my last VLX, & was shocked at what the number actually was when I weighed it (accurately, unhitched from the truck).

Your right, it's a guess. One of these days maybe I'll get a chance to actually weigh it.

Your right, it's a guess. One of these days maybe I'll get a chance to actually weigh it.

Well, here's some info for you to chew on. Before weighing my last boat, I assumed that it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000lbs. That model is listed at 3600 lbs dry, so I figured that at or just under 5k was a fair guestimate. It wasn't even close. Off the truck, weighed all by itself, it weighed in at barely under 6k lbs. That was lightly loaded after returning from a day on the lake (light load of fuel). By the time you put fluids, tower & all of the accessories on the boat that it doesn't get weighed with, it really adds up. I know of another person with the same model fitted with a Titan 3 & it only weighed about 50 lbs less under similar circumstances. These things are much heavier than we realize.

Your Vride is listed at 600 lbs less, but I'd be pretty surprised if you came in much under 5k, if at all. Just food for thought.

If I am stating the obvious, please forgive me, as I am old.

In the State of Oregon it is very easy to weigh your vehicles for free.

I have weighed every rolling thing I own on the Oregon Highway truck scales.

In Oregon, there are many locations where the scales are vacated at certain hours of the day or days of the year.

However, they leave the scales operative and you can read the scale weight on their digital display

readable from the scale itself.

If you see an Oregon scale not being manned , you can just pull onto the scale and read each axle.

It takes very little time.

For Central Oregonians there are many choices at empty scales.

Leaving Sisters for Bend on Hwy 20, coming in to Bend from Sunriver on US 97 , US 97 at Juniper Butte just before the Billy Chinook cutoff.

In Portland area there is a scale near Champoeg Park ( Ehlen Road ) , and US 26 between ZigZag and Sandy.

• 4 months later...

Just ordered a new setup for my stock Boatmate trailer.

As of today I have the stock skinny fenders with the 14" wheels on it. After much research and discussion with Boatmate here is what I came up with:

must upgrade the fender width to the 10.75 wide fenders = $453.13 from Boatmate which is two 10.75 malibu emblem dual axle fenders painted black with diamond plate aluminum non-skid on top of the fenders

went with 4 Nitto NT-555 Extreme 255/45/ZR18 tires on 4 XD Rockstar Machined Face 18x9 on 5 on 4.5 with +10 offset = $1450.00

You def. have to widen the fenders to go with the 18x9 which is what boatmate goes with on all their custom trailers. They suggested anything between a +10-+25 offset. Suggested tire was either a 255/45/Z18 or 255/55/Z18.

Hope this helps.

Just ordered a new setup for my stock Boatmate trailer.

As of today I have the stock skinny fenders with the 14" wheels on it. After much research and discussion with Boatmate here is what I came up with:

must upgrade the fender width to the 10.75 wide fenders = $453.13 from Boatmate which is two 10.75 malibu emblem dual axle fenders painted black with diamond plate aluminum non-skid on top of the fenders

went with 4 Nitto NT-555 Extreme 255/45/ZR18 tires on 4 XD Rockstar Machined Face 18x9 on 5 on 4.5 with +10 offset = $1450.00

You def. have to widen the fenders to go with the 18x9 which is what boatmate goes with on all their custom trailers. They suggested anything between a +10-+25 offset. Suggested tire was either a 255/45/Z18 or 255/55/Z18.

Hope this helps.

You can save some cash as you dont need a "Z" rated tire. If you actually do need a "Z" rated tire you are travelling at a very high rate of speed with your boat in tow! Falkan makes a great 18" tire for a reasonable cost ..the Falkan Ziex ZE-912. We run them on our car, great tire and great value. http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Falken/Ziex+ZE-912

• 2 weeks later...

I have some GTO rims for sale. They are 17's and I would be willing to work with you on price. just let me know. Im not sure if they would work for you or not. It comes with the tires also which have good tread still.

5Lc5N75K13I63La3N2c3rf48f8274f5901504.jpg

Edited by DeeSigns

I have some GTO rims for sale. They are 17's and I would be willing to work with you on price. just let me know. Im not sure if they would work for you or not. It comes with the tires also which have good tread still.

5Lc5N75K13I63La3N2c3rf48f8274f5901504.jpg

GM's use 4.75" bolt spacing, so that wouldn't work. I decided to hold off on this project and tackled/in the middle of tackling a few others instead.

• 5 years later...