Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blisters

Molanded

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2003 LSV. I keep it in the water for 5 months out of the year. I know this is the worst thing I can do to the boat, I've been told that many times. If I had to launch and load every time we went out it would lessen the times we go. This way we just drive to the marina hop in and go.

Okay, so having said that, my boat has developed some blisters on each side and the back. Is this something you think I should fix or not? Does it compromise the integrity of the boat? It doesn't show, only out of the water. Would appreciate anyone's feedback. Please don't tell me to take it out of the water more. :-)

if you can pull it out just some during that stretch it would help a ton. A good rule of thumb is let the gelcoat dry out the same amount of time its in the water.

But, if you're not willing to do that, you WILL get blisters again, even if you repair. IF you're bent on leaving it in the water and plan to keep the boat for a while I'd repair when it comes time to sell, not now. That said, if the blisters are bad, I'd let a good glass/gelcoat shop take a look at it to evaluate potential for more serve damage should the blisters burst and/or water make it further into the hull

if you can pull it out just some during that stretch it would help a ton. A good rule of thumb is let the gelcoat dry out the same amount of time its in the water.

But, if you're not willing to do that, you WILL get blisters again, even if you repair. IF you're bent on leaving it in the water and plan to keep the boat for a while I'd repair when it comes time to sell, not now. That said, if the blisters are bad, I'd let a good glass/gelcoat shop take a look at it to evaluate potential for more serve damage should the blisters burst and/or water make it further into the hull

I knew you would say pull it out during that time. Not going to happen. Thank you for the advice however. I will have a gelcoat man look at it and see how bad he thinks it is. There is one in our area that comes highly recommended. If he doesn't think it's too bad, I'll wait until the time comes to sell. Thank you again.

re: worst case for blisters, growing up we had a fixed keel sailboat that sat in the water for 15 years or so without being hauled. While it did have anti fouling bottom paint when it was launched, by the time it was hauled the lake water had soaked into the core of the fiberglass and the boat was sitting off her lines, forward and to one side.

So my suggestion, if you are leaving it in the water, would be to paint the bottom with the best anti-fouling paint you can find and pull it out once a year. Some will cringe on the idea of painting the bottom, but that maybe a good option for a boat that is left in the water for the season.

For what you will spend on repairs and anti-fouling paint annually, why not invest in a hoist at your marina? Not to mention loss of resale value...once it gets water in the glass fibers from a blister, or once you paint the hull, you will take a big hit on resale that would have covered your hoist cost...

-- Mike

re: worst case for blisters, growing up we had a fixed keel sailboat that sat in the water for 15 years or so without being hauled. While it did have anti fouling bottom paint when it was launched, by the time it was hauled the lake water had soaked into the core of the fiberglass and the boat was sitting off her lines, forward and to one side.

So my suggestion, if you are leaving it in the water, would be to paint the bottom with the best anti-fouling paint you can find and pull it out once a year. Some will cringe on the idea of painting the bottom, but that maybe a good option for a boat that is left in the water for the season.

X2. I think the paint these days can be done and look reasonably well since drying it out is not an option. It comes in different colors too, IIRC.

I would go the lift route. At least it's resalable when you sell the boat too.

Thanks everyone. I don't think a lift is an option for me. The Marina is very small and they don't have that to offer. That would be great though! I think I might just go ahead and get it fixed before the next season hits. Thank you all for your input.

Mine floats, has to based on our bylaws. I've had a wide variety of different boats that have never blistered. What did Malibu cheap out on that causes this? Mine sat for a month and they are already forming. If this is common on bu's mine will go up for sale in the spring and I'll buy something that can take it. As a reference there are no blisters on my neighbors supra

Mine floats, has to based on our bylaws. I've had a wide variety of different boats that have never blistered. What did Malibu cheap out on that causes this? Mine sat for a month and they are already forming. If this is common on bu's mine will go up for sale in the spring and I'll buy something that can take it. As a reference there are no blisters on my neighbors supra

How long are we talking here? All boats will blister. Its not cheaping out, gelcoat is porous, and will allow water in. There's no such thing as non-permeable gelcoat though age and condition of the gelcoat can have an effect on the speed fo their formation. As a rule of thumb, let the hull dry for as long as you have in the water. How old is your boat? How old is your neighbors?

As to the original OP, you cna't take it out EVER? I'm not saying all the time, but taking it out for just a few times to let it dry out will go a long way in prevention.

How long are we talking here? All boats will blister. Its not cheaping out, gelcoat is porous, and will allow water in. There's no such thing as non-permeable gelcoat though age and condition of the gelcoat can have an effect on the speed fo their formation. As a rule of thumb, let the hull dry for as long as you have in the water. How old is your boat? How old is your neighbors?

As to the original OP, you cna't take it out EVER? I'm not saying all the time, but taking it out for just a few times to let it dry out will go a long way in prevention.

The summer. I am in MN so that is usually late April to November.

I've personally moored a SeaRay, a couple Chaparral's, Ranger, Formula, and even an el-cheapo Larson. Never had a problem. Just a little sour since the Malibu I bought in August that was taken out late October shows blistering already. :(

Mine is a 2004, was clean when I bought it in August. Neighbors Supra 22SSV has always been moored next to mine and is a 2005 IIRC. I've got a buddy with an pre-2k MC on the other side of the lake with no issues either.

My boat very well maybe an aberration...but if its going to get worse and worse I am going to replace it. Sort of want a 247 anyways...

If the blisters are just starting, there is a good chance they will disappear once you let the hull dry out. I've seen every brand blister that gets left in the water. That said, the more its left in the water, as I undertand the process, the quicker it will reabsorb.

How new a 247 you wnat? I got one for you...no blisters...see classifieds and my signature. :biggrin:

I agree they will all blister. Even the multi million dollar boat's and huge sea ray's all use anti fouling paint because they blister.

My sister leaves her Mastercraft in all summer. She resolved years ago that the convenience outweighed the re-sale value. We tried anti fouling paint, but that wore off quickly and we just said "oh well".

Steve B.

If the blisters are just starting, there is a good chance they will disappear once you let the hull dry out. I've seen every brand blister that gets left in the water. That said, the more its left in the water, as I undertand the process, the quicker it will reabsorb.

Interesting, I didn't realize. In the past I've paid people to clean the hull and this year did it myself. Perhaps they all have, but after a rest they were gone. I'll report in the spring :)

How new a 247 you wnat? I got one for you...no blisters...see classifieds and my signature. :biggrin:

As old as possible. Since its moored having a cherry boat makes no sense to me. If yours had a black hull I'd be all over it.

As for why black? My Ranger 521 with a black hull never collected any growth on it moored on the lake. Pretty clean on my side of the lake, but at the moment I credit the bottom color with helping. May be right, may be wrong, but the only way to find out is to get another. I also still have to sell that Ranger, before owning two Malibu's :P

First bottom painting or anti fouling paint will not stop blistering. If you want to stop blistering you need to put a coat of epoxy to seal the boat.

The make of the boat is not a factor Gel Coat is porous and will over time take on water. I do think older boats had less issues but have never done research to prove it. If so my bet is older boats often had thicker gel coat spray.

If you get blisters drying will not fix them it will make them less viable. I have owned the same brand boats and had one blister in its first year and the other go for 6 years in water from March to Oct. and never had a problem. I have not had a problem after epoxying a boat and had one in the water year around for 8 years. It only came out for 3 - 4 days a year for fresh anti fouling and speed paint. If you don't fix the blisters it will get worse and can kill your boat.

First bottom painting or anti fouling paint will not stop blistering. If you want to stop blistering you need to put a coat of epoxy to seal the boat.

The make of the boat is not a factor Gel Coat is porous and will over time take on water. I do think older boats had less issues but have never done research to prove it. If so my bet is older boats often had thicker gel coat spray.

If you get blisters drying will not fix them it will make them less viable. I have owned the same brand boats and had one blister in its first year and the other go for 6 years in water from March to Oct. and never had a problem. I have not had a problem after epoxying a boat and had one in the water year around for 8 years. It only came out for 3 - 4 days a year for fresh anti fouling and speed paint. If you don't fix the blisters it will get worse and can kill your boat.

Thank you, I plan on getting the blisters fixed at the beginning of next season. I will ask the technician about epoxy. sounds like a plan to me. thanks for the info!