Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My First Malibu

Tranner

Just wanted to share a couple pictures of my first Malibu which I picked up last week. I have pretty much learned to ride behind Nautiques (1985 2001 & 2003 210 SANTE) so I'm sure that it will take a little getting used to this wake but we are definitely excited. This 2006 VLX didn't come equipped with the bow ballast tank so I picked up 500 lbs of these lead bags to spread around the boat. We'll see how that works out.

I have a few dumb rookie Malibu owner questions if you guys don't mind.

1. Which battery position do you guys use to start and run the boat with? The previous owner said he always uses the "ALL" switch regardless of starting, hanging out, etc.

2. I believe that I have the Illusion X tower with the strapless bimini that goes over the tower. What is the best way to tow without having to completely remove the bimini? Does anyone have any pictures of the bimini mounted up and ready for towing? The previous owner kept the boat on a lift year round and didn't know the best position for towing.

3. The power wedge doesn't seem to have any power running to it at the moment. I suspect this is a blown fuse but when I crawled underneath the boat I wasn't able to find anything that was labeled for the wedge. The main long black fuse panel also does not show anything labeled wedge. Am I simply missing it?

IMG00302-20111110-1236.jpg

IMG00306-20111113-1817.jpg

Edited by Tranner

Welcome to the Crew!

1. I run the perko switch on all batteries unless I'm floating listening to music then I'll switch it to only battery 2.

2. Yes you have the Illusion X tower. Fore the biminy you'll can a boot/cover for that slides over the folded biminy all zipped up. Leave the top two connections of the biminy frame attached to the tower and disconnect the rear two. On the biminy cover there are two straps that go around the front of the tower with the biminy laying forward to keep it secured to the top of the tower.

3. This link shows where the fuse is. It's under the driver side dash on the left side of the steering wheel (looking forward). They did have actuators, the pistons that raise/lower the wedge, go out early and may need to be replaced. I'd check the fuse first iirc it's a 30amp.

If you came from a Nautique and like a steeper wake you can bump the wedge up and create a similar style wake. Otherwise the wake behind the VLX will be rampier. These boats love front weight and it's a must imho, so I'd put 500lbs up front to start....just a suggestion.

If you have the VSR/Perko switch and you have the switch in the "ALL" positon it combines both batteries allowing both to be drained to what the kids now days refer to as an "EPIC FAIL". :cry: Putting the switch in the "1" position, isolates the batteries so you always have one to start the boat. On mine, "1" is the accy battery (radio, 3 amps etc..) and "2" is the house/cranking battery with only the bilge pump wired directly to it w/ an inline 5A fuse at the battery.

Thanks for the feedback. I have my drysuit on order so I'll be sure to get back on the water for another couple sets as soon I can come across a sunny weekend. For the lead, I planned to put 400 under the bow seats and the other 100 by the driver seat so I can move around to counter the people inside the boat. If anyone lives in Southern California and wants similar lead bags you can email Jared at [email protected]. The bags are 50 lbs each.

Regarding the bimini on the Illusion X, I figured that I had to remove the two short rear legs to get the bimini itself into the boot but what do you do with the two fixed front legs that face forward? Do I just remove those and throw them inside the boot?

Nice looking boat and nice color scheme. Congrats on the purchase.

Very nice boat! I really want to upgrade to a 05+ VLX :D

I would love an 06 VLX with a G3 tower.