Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Marine Survey

TheBoy82

So I'm shopping around various banks for financing for a boat. I found a local credit union that gave me a pretty good rate and payment. The catch is they are requiring a marine survey. I did tell them that I was going through a private seller - I'm guessing this is the reason? Have any of you had to do this? Is it a painful process? How much will it cost? Thanks!

The cost will depend on the type and size of boat you have to get a survey on.

If you're talking about buying a Malibu, check with them and see if a dealer can do the survey/checkup for you. If this is a bigger boat, say a houseboat, sailboat or large cruiser, then you may have to get a certified surveyor.

When I had my houseboat surveyed a few years back, it cost me about $300 just for the survey. It was a out of water survey, so that cost more than a in-water survey.

Marine surveyors can be found here....or here.

Good luck.

I had a marine survey done on my boat before I purchased it. It was a seven year old boat that I was buying from a private seller. Since the boat was an eight hour drive away and it was my first time buying an inboard, I figured it was worth the $400 that I paid. The survey was conducted both on land and in the water and included a compression test. I used a certified marine surveyor who was recommended to me by a boat dealer in the area.

Thanks for the info. The survey would be for a Malibu, so nothing huge. I'm hoping to get a boat sometime soon (before spring), so it would be to my advantage too.