Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing

MUpde

So being in California has it's advantages (long summers, hot girls in bikinis, etc...) but one big disadvantage is towing on the freeway. Around here the speed limit is 55 when towing. Also, you are confined to the right 2 lanes. I tend to follow these rules (most of the time). It's a big pet peeve of mine to see people not following these laws. You will almost NEVER see people towing at 55 including big rigs. The one that really gets me is the knuckle head that tows in the fast lane. I even saw someone towing in the carpool lane yesterday. I won't tell you what brand of boat he was towing, but it rhymes with Baygrinder.

The 55 rule is absurd to me. It makes no sense that I can only drive 55 in my 3500HD with huge brakes and big motor, but someone with their ford ranger sacked to the ground way over loaded with gravel or dirt or whatnot can go 65. It makes no sense. Typical CA B.S. I supose...

<Steps off soap box>

So I have a questions, too. It seems to make my Extreme dual axel trailer sit level on my truck, the hitch ball needs to be relatively high. Have you ever measured the height of your hitch ball? What is average?

So I have a questions, too. It seems to make my Extreme dual axel trailer sit level on my truck, the hitch ball needs to be relatively high. Have you ever measured the height of your hitch ball? What is average?

The top of my receiver is 18", and I use a bar with a 2" rise. Sitting level on the driveway, the bottom of my trailer tongue (Boatmate) is 20-1/2". The combination I have keeps the boat level.

I don't like the 55 rule either. I tend to get in line with a bunch of big rigs (if there is a few of them tailing each other) and, I just hang out in that pack. They're usually doing 60 and that's fine with me.

I've had a CHP roll up on me in the middle of nowhere and give me the slow down hand gesture. I think I was prob. doing 65ish. I figure, that's my one get out of jail free card.

Now, I have a class B CDL. If I get busted now, the CHP really doesn't like me breaking laws. And, I'll be in much bigger trouble than you guys with only a class C.

I don't go over 65 towing the boat in CA. I have also had the CHP roll along side with the slow down gesture when I was going 65. They have been pretty cool about it. Someone weaving through traffic towing the boat may not get the same warning which makes sense.

So being in California has it's advantages (long summers, hot girls in bikinis, etc...)

Those don't outweigh this:

That's why it is called "The People's Republic of Kalifornia"

Amusingly the hot girls in bikini's comment I find amusing. I have a few friends that visit MN every summer from CA and there typical reaction is that they've never seen so many hot women in bikini's before. AND they don't look like the average one is faking it.

More seriously, towing and the way people drive in general pisses me off. How many times are you leaving the required space in front of your rig and some asshat cuts you off since there is a bigger space in front of you. Then there's the doof that is mad that you aren't going 10 over like everyone else so he tailgates you. Sort of makes me want to leave a bunch of loose things in the boat to fly out to wallop him. Obviously I won't, but I've seen some shady crap fly out of aluminum boats in particular.

As for the speed limit, if you can maintain enough stopping space in front of you then the safest thing you can do is go the same speed that the traffic is going.

Amusingly the hot girls in bikini's comment I find amusing. I have a few friends that visit MN every summer from CA and there typical reaction is that they've never seen so many hot women in bikini's before. AND they don't look like the average one is faking it.

You must be talking about Big Island. :thumbup:

Just driving on the freeways in LA and Orange County are a disadvantage. You are lucky if you are able to get your speed above 30 mph on a weekday and even the weekend traffic is bad.

My Extreme trailer sits pretty high also. My Ford Excursion needs a 2 inch rise, and I still sit just a little bit nose down. She rides very well that way, but my darn jack almost does not go high enough to get it off the ball. The jack sits at its highest point for loading and unloading. Most folks seem to say sit a little nose down, or flat level. Getting nose up even a little is an invitation for some fishtailing.

My Extreme trailer sits pretty high also. My Ford Excursion needs a 2 inch rise, and I still sit just a little bit nose down. She rides very well that way, but my darn jack almost does not go high enough to get it off the ball. The jack sits at its highest point for loading and unloading. Most folks seem to say sit a little nose down, or flat level. Getting nose up even a little is an invitation for some fishtailing.

I use a 2 inch rise on out 1500 Silverado Z71 and have this same problem with our extreme trailer. Once it is on the hitch though it sits nicely.

I am in the group that tows too fast, I do however usually leave a good space between me and the guy in front of me and always make sure trailer brakes are working properly, my truck is set up for towing so its not in an unsafe stature, and I try to keep my stuff in good working order (and shined up). The speed limit was just raised on our interstate to 75mph here in Maine, which is where I usually travel at already, (and I'm sure I'll get grief for this). I know I travel a bit fast, but luckily have never had an incident from it. What does bother me is seeing the big diesel pusher camper buses, with air brakes, towing an enclosed trailer with grandpa Jones and his class C license driving 70mph. Anyone can get in one of those rigs that have a class C license and drive them around knowing nothing about air brakes or even the bigger mass in motion tends to stay in motion theory, it seems we see alot of fender benders involving them, but not as many bad accidents as I would think, and you always see them twisted up in some parking lot trying to back up. Shouldn't there be a proper license required for those things?

This side thread has me confused. I use a two inch drop, some are using a two inch rise. Seems easier to turn around if the tongue is level to down bubble. But what is the proper angle of the trailer tongue at the trailer hitch? (given an extreme tandem axle trailer)

Down bubble?

Up bubble

dead level with a level on the tongue?

but my darn jack almost does not go high enough to get it off the ball. The jack sits at its highest point for loading and unloading.

This is mostly why I started this thread. If the jack wheel is on the ground, it won't go high enough to clear the ball. I have a 2X8 under the wheel to allow for clearance. Once it's on my truck it sits perfectly level and tows great.

The rant about people towing too fast was just to get it off my chest....

This is mostly why I started this thread. If the jack wheel is on the ground, it won't go high enough to clear the ball. I have a 2X8 under the wheel to allow for clearance. Once it's on my truck it sits perfectly level and tows great.

The rant about people towing too fast was just to get it off my chest....

Same story here. Would love to hear some sort of solution.

DSC05760.jpg

I tried a couple differet hitch heights to see what tows the best. Right now I have a 2" drop and it sits perfectly level and tows great, I just can't have the jack wheel on the ground. If I use a bigger drop hitch, the front sits too low and the rear brakes lock up MUCH easier.

I searched and searched for the extended jack we have if I remember rite it was Napa that had it, I'll check tomorrow for sure when I get back to work. If I remember rite most jacks travel 10in and the Napa one was 12in travel and was longer to start with. hitch is a raised hitch and the jack will go high enough unless the trailer is on un-level ground with the jack being in the low spot.

DSC05760.jpg

I have a 2in drop on my truck but also have airbags

I lower the bags to hook up and fill them to lift easy no more cranking

:thumbup:

I am in the group that tows too fast, I do however usually leave a good space between me and the guy in front of me and always make sure trailer brakes are working properly, my truck is set up for towing so its not in an unsafe stature, and I try to keep my stuff in good working order (and shined up). The speed limit was just raised on our interstate to 75mph here in Maine, which is where I usually travel at already, (and I'm sure I'll get grief for this). I know I travel a bit fast, but luckily have never had an incident from it. What does bother me is seeing the big diesel pusher camper buses, with air brakes, towing an enclosed trailer with grandpa Jones and his class C license driving 70mph. Anyone can get in one of those rigs that have a class C license and drive them around knowing nothing about air brakes or even the bigger mass in motion tends to stay in motion theory, it seems we see alot of fender benders involving them, but not as many bad accidents as I would think, and you always see them twisted up in some parking lot trying to back up. Shouldn't there be a proper license required for those things?

I'm under the impression that, regardless of registered weight or whatever, that a class B CDL is required to operate a vehicle equipped with air brakes....? Maybe those idiots just haven't gotten busted yet...?

I'm under the impression that, regardless of registered weight or whatever, that a class B CDL is required to operate a vehicle equipped with air brakes....? Maybe those idiots just haven't gotten busted yet...?

I thought that too until my parents started looking into those big campers and got to talking to people about the license required. My farther being a truck driver was amazed by it, maybe he was misinformed?

Not sure if this helps? The Napa jack I used that goes to 33in high 1000lb part # BK 8212551, most I looked at only were 22-25 inches high. The Fulton one Bobby mentioned does go a little higher tho, but the Napa one is a bit cheaper.

New pet peeve, people that change there screen name......... 06VLX?? :biggrin:

Edited by mainekneeboarder