Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Polishing & Waxing bottom of hull

Lieutenant Dan

Wow, I think I'd prefer the strap under the boat. Impressive nonetheless.

You'll end up marring the gel coat that way.

The hooks on the back and front are lift points on most boats. Always check your owners manual to be sure though before you lift it!!

• 7 months later...

So I was just polishing the sides of the boat and noticed the brownish, dirty discoloration, or whatever you wanna call it, on the bottom of the boat. My question is, do they make or do you guys know of anything that takes it off easily? I waxed it, but really had to put in some elbow grease to get it off.

jkendallmsce

A hull sanded with 400 grit paper lengthwise will actually run faster in the water since the grooves causes small air bubbles to from in the lengthwise grooves in the hull. This reduces the amount of contact with the water the boat is running in. It's a trick the sailboat and go fast guys use.

I don't care if it gives me 5 mph....I wax every inch of my boat including the bottom twice a year. I'm a lot more worried about it looking great and lasting for the long run. Wax protects the surface it is applied to and helps seal it from contaminants including water. A smooth hull and a waxed hull aren't going to be much different as far as speed goes since water is coherent. A non-waxed hull will get grimy faster and can potentially be subject to water intrusion known as osmotic blistering which is bad news.

exactly right. Just ask why are there dimples on a golf ball?? to increase the distance when hit? or the new props, the surface is roughened. it is roughened (not smooth) to make it slip thru the water with less resistance.

Same concept with pick ups and whether to drive with the tail gate up or down..... You'll actually decrease (and when I say decrease, it is soo marginal you can't measure it) your gas mileage by dropping the tailgate when your zipping down the hiway.

and same with your ski...you want to take some 3M briilo pad and roughen to bottom of the ski...plus it'll remove any of the oil used when getting the ski outta the mold wqhen they were making it.

Edited by jkendallmsce

A hull sanded with 400 grit paper lengthwise will actually run faster in the water since the grooves causes small air bubbles to from in the lengthwise grooves in the hull. This reduces the amount of contact with the water the boat is running in. It's a trick the sailboat and go fast guys use.

I don't care if it gives me 5 mph....I wax every inch of my boat including the bottom twice a year. I'm a lot more worried about it looking great and lasting for the long run. Wax protects the surface it is applied to and helps seal it from contaminants including water. A smooth hull and a waxed hull aren't going to be much different as far as speed goes since water is coherent. A non-waxed hull will get grimy faster and can potentially be subject to water intrusion known as osmotic blistering which is bad news.

What he said :plus1:

"wax" w PTFE or Teflon has lasted longer than any carnuba wax on my boats. I also spray the trailer bunks every two weeks w 303 Protectorant and that helps the areas of the boat that sit on trailer to be protected. No scratches either.

• Like 2