Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Trade In

hukk

As I noted in a previous post I have a Response LXI ordered. As a part of the deal I am trading in my current boat. Never traded in a boat before. Dealer would like my boat now. Seems strange to hand over my boat and title but be waiting 6 - 8 weeks for delivery of the new boat. Has anyone gone this route and is this not unusual? Should I expect to get just a receipt from the dealer showing amount of trade applied to purchase of new boat or something additional?

Thanks for any input.

I don't think I would do it, unless they are willing to pay more now than later. Or unless you somehow benefit, like storage issues or something. Or if they are handing you the actual trade amount in money, not a receipt.

when i promoed in the past, if my current boat was being taken by the dealer, he always took it before my new boat came in, with no money ever changing hands.

As long as you trust your dealer, give him the boat now. It will help him sell it and he will appreciate it. This could pay dividends later.

Get a receipt showing the trade amount applied towards your purchase and give them the boat, unless you are using it this time of year, in that case hold on to it until the new boat arrives.

Edited by RiverRunner

I traded my old boat in in the fall for an ordered boat that was delivered in the spring. If you have a good dealer and can help him out they will return the favor.

My order form had the trade and value written into it and the balance due on delivery. It's a contract so it should hold up.

I traded my old boat in in the fall for an ordered boat that was delivered in the spring. If you have a good dealer and can help him out they will return the favor.

My order form had the trade and value written into it and the balance due on delivery. It's a contract so it should hold up.

As long as your Dealer puts it all on a Bill of Sale, you should be fine. Most people want to use the trade as a down payment, to keep from using out-of-pocket money. It also works to the customers advantage because we are storing the trade for them too.

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater

I think from the dealers point of view, if he is giving a $ amount now for the boat he should take possession of it now because later it may have depreciated or got damaged. If that happened it could put the whole deal in question. It is like a down payment on the new boat. You are protected by the contract.

People are often boatless while waiting for their prize...

Edited by gooddog

Thanks for all the input. Storage is not an issue, boat has it's own garage. No skiing right now as too much rain and high water so I might as well get it to the dealer so they can work on selling. Also will give me time to clean and organize the boat garage. Now just need a dry day to tow to the dealer.

Thanks again.

I didn't catch if it is a predetermined amount for the trade or if it is a commission sale. Either way I would let him have it now. If it is a commission sale then I would make sure there is verbiage in your agreement about the level of care that will be given to the boat. ie. covered, demo parameters, etc.

The deal is trade in for a predetermined amount.

Just make sure they give you your voucher (or similar) when they take it. Looks like you are good to go. Congrats on the new order!

As long as your Dealer puts it all on a Bill of Sale, you should be fine. Most people want to use the trade as a down payment, to keep from using out-of-pocket money. It also works to the cutomers advantage because we are storing the trade for them too.

As long as its noted on the Bill Of Sale I don't see an issue.

Like you said your not using it anyways, if it was summer, that would be whole new issue :)

I don't see any difference between handing him a boat or giving him 20k cash as a down payment. I would expect full paperwork indicating the credit on the new boat. This is providing that he is a reputable, authorized dealer, which I assume he is.

I assume that you are dealing with Bridge City? When I got my boat from them, I traded in my boat for a set price with everything in writing. I didn't actually pick up my new (used) boat from them for another 3 or 4 months as I was having some work done on it. I don't see a problem.

I ordered a VLX last year, and was going to trade my Supra for it. We worked a price on it, but I told the dealer I was going to try to sell the supra during the time period the Malibu was being built. We agreed to that, so the price we negotiated on the Malibu was not contingent on the trade.

Two weeks later right about as the Malibu was being built I sold the Supra for $5k more than they offered in trade. I used the extra cash to add stereo stuff to the VLX, and upgrade the trailer. so it worked out great.

I ordered a VLX last year, and was going to trade my Supra for it. We worked a price on it, but I told the dealer I was going to try to sell the supra during the time period the Malibu was being built. We agreed to that, so the price we negotiated on the Malibu was not contingent on the trade.

Two weeks later right about as the Malibu was being built I sold the Supra for $5k more than they offered in trade. I used the extra cash to add stereo stuff to the VLX, and upgrade the trailer. so it worked out great.

That's exactly what we've done. One time, the boat didn't sell & the dealer took it as trade on the original deal that we worked out. The last time, the boat sold for about $5k more than trade would have been. It was a win win for everyone, including the people that bought the old boat. :)

This time of year, I can't imagine that there should be a difficulty if that is what you want to do. Heck, you'll take delivery on the new boat well before people around here are even thinking about hitting the water, so it's not like anyone will be missing the peak selling season. Otherwise, Bridge City is a reputable dealer & you shouldn't have any problems if you just don't want the hassle of selling it yourself. As everyone else has stated, get the deal in writing.

As I understand it, if you give the dealer cash or a trade for a new boat before you get your new boat and the dealer files ch. 7, you become an unsecured creditor.....which is code for screwed.

Bridge City, I would agree, is reputable but the comment concerning ch. 7 concerns me some. You never know the financial status of any company.

I'm happy with the complete deal including trade in price. I don't mind not having to hassle with selling so most likely take it to dealer so they can work on selling it.

Why are you trading it in and not selling it on your own? There is a really hot market for SSLx and SSLXi around here. When they go for sale they are gone within days usually. Let us know when you trade that boat in, I know a guy looking for a 97 or new sslx or sslxi in Salem.

If said dealer wants your boat so fast.... might it be because he already has a buyer? If so, he'll be making a profit.

Why doesn't the dealer (who's making $$$ on your new boat purchase) simply tell you the name of his potential buyer, and you sell/deal direct. New buyer and you split what "would" have been the dealer's profit, and you are both happier. Dealer still gets the new buyer's service business for being a nice guy.....

Edited by doughickey
If said dealer wants your boat so fast.... might it be because he already has a buyer? If so, he'll be making a profit.

Why doesn't the dealer (who's making $$$ on your new boat purchase) simply tell you the name of his potential buyer, and you sell/deal direct. New buyer and you split what "would" have been the dealer's profit, and you are both happier. Dealer still gets the new buyer's service business for being a nice guy.....

Now that's Funny! Is that how they do it Canada? Crazy.gif

If any dealer (even MC or the others) would do that, I'd buy a boat from them each year. But I probably wouldn't be able to as they'd likely be out of business pretty quick.