Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Manual wedge

morgs_responselxi

I have a 2004 response lxi with a manual wedge. I was wondering whether I could take the pin out and turn it into a floating wedge? Is this possible ? Or is the manual and floating wedges different shapes ?

I have a 2004 response lxi with a manual wedge. I was wondering whether I could take the pin out and turn it into a floating wedge? Is this possible ? Or is the manual and floating wedges different shapes ?

I dont think this is possible but you can find some used floating wedges around.

I don't think it will work but aside from that, if you removed thi pin how would you stow it in the up position?

The foil is at a different angle to the struts that it mounts to compared to the floating wedge. The manual wedge when not pinned will just make a large rooster tail and provide no wake enhancement. I know because when I had a manual wedge I didn't lock it in place accidentally and all it did was make a large spray. As you accelerate the boat with it down but not locked in place, it "floats" back up to almost the stored position.

-Dave

The foil is at a different angle to the struts that it mounts to compared to the floating wedge. The manual wedge when not pinned will just make a large rooster tail and provide no wake enhancement. I know because when I had a manual wedge I didn't lock it in place accidentally and all it did was make a large spray. As you accelerate the boat with it down but not locked in place, it "floats" back up to almost the stored position.

-Dave

hmmm, that info might have just shot one of my winter boat projects in the arse. How fast were you going?

Edited by Ndawg12

hmmm, that info might have just shot one of my winter boat projects in the arse. How fast were you going?

No faster than 30mph which is about the time I figured out what I had done....or really not done.

Thanks guys. Is the floating wedge better in any way?

less prone to failure for sure. As far as wake enhancement is concerned I say maybe a little, others will say more than a little.

-Dave

Correct. The angle of the foil on the floater helps it to dive and not be pushed back toward the stowed position.