Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX vs LSV wakes

Samson615

Hello all! i hope everyone is doing very well, and i hope everyone had a wonderful summer! I am new to this forum, so i hope i am in the correct place.

I have a question for you peeps... I am considering getting a new boat- Ive got a sunscape at the moment. I am looking at the 2012 wakesetters and am wondering about the difference in wake between the 23LSV and the 21VLX (wake setters). Now in general, i don't have more than 5-6 people along with me at any time. For the most part, its generally just me and one other buddy wakeboarding/surfing. Im just wondering what the REAL difference is between the wakes of these 2 boats- in somewhat simple terms... Obviously having more space would be nice, but IF you were to consider JUST the wake(shape/size/cleanliness/surf wake, etc) is the VLX really a better wake? I've done some research and it sounds as though the quality of the wake might be better on the 21VLX. Is there truth to this? which boat has the better surf wake? I just haven't seen any discussion or very definitive discussion as to the actual positives and negatives when only considering the wakes of the boats.. more room/more gas costs for the 23 for sure. id appreciate any input anyone might have with respect to the shape/cleanliness/size of the wakes of these boats for boat wake boarding and surfing..

thanks in advance!

Sam

Why not get the MXZ - space you want and wake you want.

I appreciate the response friend=) It certainly is a good looking boat, but thats not really all that i wanted to know.

Anyone have any info on the difference between the wakes of the 23LSV and the 21VLX? Ive actually been wondering about this for quite some time and would like to know what the experts say about the differences...

Sam

Hello all! i hope everyone is doing very well, and i hope everyone had a wonderful summer! I am new to this forum, so i hope i am in the correct place.

I have a question for you peeps... I am considering getting a new boat- Ive got a sunscape at the moment. I am looking at the 2012 wakesetters and am wondering about the difference in wake between the 23LSV and the 21VLX (wake setters). Now in general, i don't have more than 5-6 people along with me at any time. For the most part, its generally just me and one other buddy wakeboarding/surfing. Im just wondering what the REAL difference is between the wakes of these 2 boats- in somewhat simple terms... Obviously having more space would be nice, but IF you were to consider JUST the wake(shape/size/cleanliness/surf wake, etc) is the VLX really a better wake? I've done some research and it sounds as though the quality of the wake might be better on the 21VLX. Is there truth to this? which boat has the better surf wake? I just haven't seen any discussion or very definitive discussion as to the actual positives and negatives when only considering the wakes of the boats.. more room/more gas costs for the 23 for sure. id appreciate any input anyone might have with respect to the shape/cleanliness/size of the wakes of these boats for boat wake boarding and surfing..

thanks in advance!

Sam

Out of the VLX and 23, the 23 probably has a better surf wake just because it is bigger and you can load it down more. The VLX has been around for a while and i believe its Malibu's best selling boat (at least out of the Wakesetters but could be wrong...) so that has to say something. We love our 2010 VLX and can do everything with it and have a great surf wake with even just a little more weight than stock ballast

Not sure if you have seen these videos or not but here you go:

OK this is just what I think :innocent: The 05-08 VLX has the best wake. Surf is great too. 25V Wake hull. The trick in getting a new boat is you just get a new VRide it has that hull. :rockon: The hull is out of my price range. I have a friend with it. A crew member the other day had a discussion the other day he went and got the new VLX and he didn't like it as much the new boat is for sell and he is looking at the VRide. :rockon: My next boat will be the VRide. People may disagree but hey that is what the discussion is all about. :loser:

I have a 2010 23 VRide and couldn't be happier. If you don't need all the bells and whistles of a wakesetter its perfect. However, if you got the cash then why not!? I've ridden behind both the vlx and lsv. Now given different boats, drivers, setups, etc I like the 23 wake better. It seems "meatier". They are both amazing stock wakes and with some weight will be more than anyone needs. Just find a a deal that suits you GO FOR A DEMO and you won't be disappointed. Good luck!

Why not get the MXZ - space you want and wake you want.

I appreciate the response friend=) It certainly is a good looking boat, but thats not really all that i wanted to know.

Anyone have any info on the difference between the wakes of the 23LSV and the 21VLX? Ive actually been wondering about this for quite some time and would like to know what the experts say about the differences...

Sam

I think what nitrous was saying is that the mxz has the best wake of all, and the space of the 23. Although I have not personally been behind an mxz, from what I have heard, it is the biggest wake. Videos of the wake on youtube certainly confirm that, it looks ridiculous.

If you're only interested in the vlx or 23, then from my perspective, VLX will have better factory wakeboard wake, LSV has better surf potential when loaded down. There's a reason the pros have been opting for the vlx which wasn't always the case in the past (some wanted a 23)

Ive been in and behind both, the LSV has the bigger wakeboard and surf wake stock with stock ballast. Not sure about loaded down for wakeboarding on the vlx, I know its big on the LSV but can't comment how they compare there. Loaded surfing LSV is bigger and nicer for sure.

I think what nitrous was saying is that the mxz has the best wake of all, and the space of the 23. Although I have not personally been behind an mxz, from what I have heard, it is the biggest wake. Videos of the wake on youtube certainly confirm that, it looks ridiculous.

If you're only interested in the vlx or 23, then from my perspective, VLX will have better factory wakeboard wake, LSV has better surf potential when loaded down. There's a reason the pros have been opting for the vlx which wasn't always the case in the past (some wanted a 23)

Chad Sharpe has recently switched from the VLX to the LSV so not sure on your last comment. I would vote VLX for boarding and LSV for surf as long as you load it up enough.

Thanks a ton for your help peeps! For the MXZ people- you have me intrigued and i have been doing a little research about them. i have another question- Is the stock wake substantially bigger than the LSV or VLX? I ask this because it is heavier than the LSV23 while being slightly shorter.. My older brother slaloms occasionally- so I want to be able to accommodate him from time to time as well. I was just wondering what you guys thought about that... thanks again everyone, i really appreciate the help!

Sam

I am surprised that no one has mentioned how much wider the LSV wake is. At the same line length,

you have to work a little harder to get to the other side.

That is a great point- thats definitely the type of input i am looking for=) thanks everyone for your continued help and comments!

Thanks a ton for your help peeps! For the MXZ people- you have me intrigued and i have been doing a little research about them. i have another question- Is the stock wake substantially bigger than the LSV or VLX? I ask this because it is heavier than the LSV23 while being slightly shorter.. My older brother slaloms occasionally- so I want to be able to accommodate him from time to time as well. I was just wondering what you guys thought about that... thanks again everyone, i really appreciate the help!

Sam

I would say MXZ would be out of the question for Skiing..that thing is heavy. For the VLX or LSV go for the diamond hull. If you really want to ski go for the VTX!

I would say MXZ would be out of the question for Skiing..that thing is heavy. For the VLX or LSV go for the diamond hull. If you really want to ski go for the VTX!

Once again thanks for the input=) The usage of a new boat, if it actually works out that we purchase one, is going to be probably 45% wake boarding, 45% surfing, 9% cruising around on the lake, and 1% skiing... So its not a GIANT consideration for the wake to be a phenomenal slalom wake, but it'd be really nice for the wake to work reasonably decently with no ballast added JUST IN CASE... We've have our Sunscape for 5 summers now and its been slalomed behind twice that i can remember, for a total of probably 15 minutes.. we've put 500 hours on it in that time and with the exception of that 15 minutes, the majority of the use has been wake boarding and surfing with a relatively small amount of traveling around our lake.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've *heard* about the vlx the wake is a little narrower than the LSV. I've heard good things about the vlx wake.

I own an LSV so I will have more input on it. The wake is a bit wider, but I personally don't see this as a negative. I think it depends on your riding style and how big you go. For me I like that I can cut more aggressively without overshooting the landing and landing way out in the flats. For inverts I think it's really nice cuz I can charge pretty hard and nail the wake. For spin tricks which I started learning this year I did struggle a bit with the wider wake and had to shorten the line 5 or 10' to start learning them. This is just personal preference and I think the best thing you can do is demo them both if possible. The transition (meaning the landing zone - the distance from peak of the wake to where it stops curving out towards the flats) is known to be one of the biggest in the industry is my understanding. The LSV is also better for surfing. I think the general public's perception was that the VLX was the flagship boat and the LSV was inferior and was just for chumps who wanted more space. Opinions like these have no grounds in fact there are multiple pros that prefer the LSV in fact the boat that is recognized by many pros to have "the best wake in florida" is a heavily loaded LSV.

The MXZ I know absolutely nothing about.

If you have a preference towards narrower wakes and don't need to have a big surf wave, go VLX.

If you have a preference towards wider wakes or want to have a bigger surf wave, go LSV.

I cant suggest when to go with the MXZ bc i know nothing about it.

These are all epic boats, and there are pros that ride each of the models discussed here. It's likely that you're going to be happy with whatever you get.

Edited by wakeboarder3780
  • 2 weeks later...

Bottom line is if you're going to spend this kind of money, you better ride behind whatever boats you're considering. I upgraded this year from a '08 VLX (current Ride series hull) to a '11 VLX and pretty much everyone who has ridden my '11 VLX likes the wake better. The boat handles a lot better, especially when loaded and the transition on the wake is smoother. The '11 VLX wake is definitely wider than the '08 VLX. As for the LSV, I've ridden both the new hull and the old hull (Ride Series). Personally I always preferred the shape of both LSV wakes (current and 23 Ride) over my old ('08 VLX) wake. I do feel the changes in the new VLX hull have made the wake more like the LSV wake. In other words, both V25 wakes are extremely similar. Honestly, I think all 4 boats produce great wakes, it just comes down to preference. If your decision is between an '11 or '12 VLX or LSV and you can't ride behind both, go with whatever boat fits your needs the most. If you like Malibu wakes you should be able to adjust either wake to your liking. On the 2011 model year I think the wake between the LSV and VLX isn't much wider like it was with the V23 hulls.