Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Recommend me a trickle charger

Nitrousbird

I need to buy a couple of trickle chargers (for the boat and our two quads). What good AND inexpensive trickle chargers are out there? Regular wet deep-cycle in the boat, AGM's in the quads.

I got away from conventional chargers when I started accumulating toys. I use a Battery Tender Jr on the KLR & golf cart.

And then have a Guest Dual Bank Marine charger installed in the boat.

I still have a regular Craftsman battery charger for problems with other vehicles. But I really only use it on other people's cars..... now that I said that the truck battery will probably die. :Doh:

Do you have one battery or two?

I got a Guest from West Marine for $100 which is a 10 amp trickle charger for 2 batteries.

That ways it charges each battery w 5 amps each and charges both separately and only contunies to charge the battery that needs to be charged.

guest battery charger

They also make one for a single battery as well. Water proof and has a pig tail that you just plug in to a extension cord. $80

I have 3 amps for my 13 speakers and this baby keep my batteries charged up for party days on the water.

Edited by ddeluca

Does keeping it charged in the off season realy extend the life? I put the batteries in the basement after winterization and put them on the charger a week before they go back in.

Edited by foiler1

Does keeping it charged in the off season realy extend the life? I put the batteries in the basement after winterization and put them on the charger a week before they go back in.

Ya its not good for batteries to sit around discharged.

I would put chargers into several categories.

First, the emegency home garage charger that I would never turn my back on for more than a couple of minutes. Kill that type as a maintenance option whether its large or small.

Second, a low amperage tender/trickle/minder/maintenance charger that is good for tractors, third cars, ATV/UTVs and other vehicles with starting batteries that are put into storage fully charged.

Third, a higher amperage multi-stage charger that would be used for deep cycle batteries that may be put into storage with less than a full charge. This could be Guest, ProMariner/ProTech, Xantrex, Dual Pro or Intelli-Power.

The smart Ctek chargers are available in small 3 amp and 7 amp versions and are excellent as maintenance chargers. Because of the pulse technology they behave like chargers that are a bit larger for deep cycle applkications. The 3 amp model is good for a single group 24, 34 or anything smaller in a deep cycle battery and will work in a maintenance application for just about anything. The 7 amp model could be used with a deep cycle battery of up to 100 amp/hours.

David

Earmark Marine

:plus1: For the Battery Tender for the quads and other toys. I went with a ProSport 12 (Bass Pro @ $120.00) for my factory dual battery setup on my LSV. It has specific chips for the 3 most common battery types and has units that come with 2 or 3 battery leads for 2 or more batteries. I installed a remote plug-in in the port front cup holder area so I don't have to crawl into the boat everyday after use or in a slip to charge. I can't attest to durability yet, but the piece of mind and convenience sure are nice.

I'll add some battery heresay:

We have a fleet of 48 volt electric lift trucks here. During the slow season we rotate the fleet so they all get equal use. The reason is because if you let a battery sit for too long, the acid accumulates in the bottom of the battery. That acid will eventually corrode a cell, and create a dead cell (short in the battery). A 48 volt battery has 24 cells. One bad cell will take the battery down by like 20% on run time. Pretty soon another cell will die because of the lack of acid circulating, taking another 20%. By the time you have a third cell fail, it's toast. So, the battery manufacturers instruct us to make sure to keep those batteries depleted and actively recharged, to keep that stuff all circulating and to get the most life from the batteries. If you are not depleting the battery (cuz it's in the basement - like mine) at least keep a current going thru it and charging it.

That said...I have an old, but like new battery charger from college. I charge the battery on 2 amps overnight once a month or so, and my batteries typically last about 6 to 8 years. For a $100 tender, I can't imagine getting that much more life from a battery. But, if I didn't already have the charger I would buy a good one like the ones listed above.

I have 1 battery, a simple stereo system and no other big draws.

Not sure how your getting so much life from your batteries MI. I lost both the batteries that came in my boat when I bought it..... a harsh winter & using the Craftsman charger I suspect did them in. The Guest dual bank charger gives me a couple benefits...... I never have to pull a battery out of the boat, or even open the battery boxes now. And there is no risk of crossing leads or having them fall off the terminal or just not make contact.

The Battery Tender has big benefits too. I have the little 2 flat plug installed on my bike & cart batteries, so I can access the battery lead without pulling body panels or removing the battery. Anytime I'm not using them for any length of time, I plug the Tender in & it will charge the battery & then go into maintenance mode, exercising the battery & hopefully keeping it from freezing (I know it's not "supposed" to happen but I've pulled a battery or two out & had it be slushy more than once..... then their dead).

Winters get a little cold here. I don't have a basement, but do have an insulated garage. And we keep a storage unit for the boat & stuff. The maintenance chargers are great for plugging in & letting them do their thing. I would never setup my old charger & leave it for a week or two in either place.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Not sure how your getting so much life from your batteries MI. I lost both the batteries that came in my boat when I bought it..... a harsh winter & using the Craftsman charger I suspect did them in. The Guest dual bank charger gives me a couple benefits...... I never have to pull a battery out of the boat, or even open the battery boxes now. And there is no risk of crossing leads or having them fall off the terminal or just not make contact.

The Battery Tender has big benefits too. I have the little 2 flat plug installed on my bike & cart batteries, so I can access the battery lead without pulling body panels or removing the battery. Anytime I'm not using them for any length of time, I plug the Tender in & it will charge the battery & then go into maintenance mode, exercising the battery & hopefully keeping it from freezing (I know it's not "supposed" to happen but I've pulled a battery or two out & had it be slushy more than once..... then their dead).

Winters get a little cold here. I don't have a basement, but do have an insulated garage. And we keep a storage unit for the boat & stuff. The maintenance chargers are great for plugging in & letting them do their thing. I would never setup my old charger & leave it for a week or two in either place.

I agree with all that. Pulling the battery out of the little area behind the spotter's seat is a PITA. Would be nice to just plug in, especially the way those little ATV batteries seem to die. If I didn't already have a charger, that would be the way to set it up right.

But I'm not exaggerating on my batteries. I've had 3 boats in 20 years, and I've only bought 2 batteries. I've left the radio or other power source on many times and completely wiped out the charge, but they keep coming back.

DO NOT GO CHEAP ON YOUR BATTERY CHARGER. I know this from personal experience. I had a cheap Schumacher charger connected to my ATV battery, and the charger caught fire and destroyed the ATV and many other things in the garage. It was a nightmare. Make sure to get a charger with thermal sensors & inline fuses. The Battery Tender and Battery Minder products do. You can get the Battery Minder for $50 at many places. I have two of the 4-bank Battery Tender units to maintain the following over the winter: (2) Boat, (3) ATV, (1) lawn tractor, & (2) PWC batteries.

Looks like I'll be going with the Battery Tender.

- No to the C-tek simply on price, as they seem more expensive than the Battery Tender, especially when I shopped around a bit (I don't like paying retail on anything).

- Guest charger isn't necessary for me. I never dock my boat (I've never even used the bumpers on my boat, as even at the ramp we only hold it there for less than a minute). I use it enough that it doesn't drain in the driveway during boating season. We always do a hard run back to the ramp, then idle around for a bit while I'm dropped off to get the truck, so the alternator charges any drain we may have had hanging out. Boat also only has one battery, as I'm only rocking a powered JBL sub and an Eclipse 4-channel amp running 4 speakers. Though I'll be adding a couple tower speakers and a better sub/amp, I don't think it will be necessary to go a dual battery route at this point as I don't normally blast the stereo when hanging out.

I wouldn't think of adding anymore audio gear without another battery. You are asking to be dead on the water with that scenario, especially since you don't want to add a capeable battery charger to the mix. The battery tender won't fit the bill for q battery charger, neither will an alternator.

Looks like I'll be going with the Battery Tender.

- Guest charger isn't necessary for me. I never dock my boat (I've never even used the bumpers on my boat, as even at the ramp we only hold it there for less than a minute). I use it enough that it doesn't drain in the driveway during boating season. We always do a hard run back to the ramp, then idle around for a bit while I'm dropped off to get the truck, so the alternator charges any drain we may have had hanging out. Boat also only has one battery, as I'm only rocking a powered JBL sub and an Eclipse 4-channel amp running 4 speakers. Though I'll be adding a couple tower speakers and a better sub/amp, I don't think it will be necessary to go a dual battery route at this point as I don't normally blast the stereo when hanging out.

I think you've misunderstood when to use the Guest on-board charger. I keep my boat on a dock with no power at all. The only time the Guest charger is plugged in is when the boat is in our driveway or in storage (maybe a week here or there during the season, and most all of the winter).

The BatteryTender should be good for this same use too. But I think you'd be getting the marine version & not the little one I use on my bike & cart...... and then your cost is right up there with the Guest chargers.

:plus1:

and, plus 2 for battery tender products. I own 3.

1 on boat, 1 on truck, one on bike.

Exactly what Pete said....I own 3 Battery Tenders and they work great....on for the toy hauler batteries and 2 for my boat....that being said....can't wait for WOW next summer!!!!!!

Edited by gmoneycrf450

My link Find a copy of Car and Driver magazine there is a harbor freight add with a coupon.

I also got a set of eight screwdrivers free. What a deal.

Edited by LS-One