Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge Dilema

NvBoarder

I'm new to the site but know this is the place to ask this question. I am going to order a Wakesetter VLX in two weeks during the boat show. Biggrin.gif My dilema is if I should spend the extra thousand dollars for the power wedge. I've heard that the power wedge is great for people that surf (skerf) behind the boat. But haven't read much about how it helps during wakeboarding. To my understanding if your wakeboarding you either want it up or down, depending on riders preference. If thats the case I can't justify spending the money. I haven't ever tried the surfing thing but doesn't sound as interesting as boarding, just my opinion. I am also trying to thank about resale and an extra grand now, I guess, won't make that big of a deal on the payment. Thanks for the input.

Ditto what Texas says: YES!

If you don't surf yet, you probably will, and even if you don't your friends will want to! My understanding is that with the power wedge, you can actually change the shape of the wake to your liking as well as the size ... If you don't get it now, you'll probably wish you did down the road. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the site & congratulations on the new boat purchase. You'll love your VLX. :)

I'll add a third to the pile, YES! Net difference between the standard wedge complete & the power wedge is around $1000 (the standard wedge is not included this year with the VLX & if memory serves, neither is the plate). That's not much in the grand scheme of things, especially considering that you can't retrofit it to a boat that has the standard wedge - different mounting holes. Go for it!

If you will permit me to step out of my dealer shoes for just a moment. It hasn't been so long that I don't remember how to think and feel like a consumer. :)

I will join the group on this one. It gives you the flexibility to shape/contour the wake just about any way you like. And that isn't just while surfing. I can't believe I am going to say this, but I was extremely skeptical when I first heard it was coming out. I thought, "Get your lazy butt out of the driver seat and drop the wedge." I initially thought it was going to be some "gimicy, frilly" option for the lazy and pampered. It most definitely is not that at all. It allows you to slightly narrow and significantly steepen the wakes at the touch of a button. In my opinion, Malibu wakes have always been a consistent, progressive wake with some pop at the top. I would also say they are less abusive on your body, while still allowing the rider to top-out on their abilities long before they top-out on the boat's capabilities. Now, you can have whichever wake style you want at the touch of a button. It is a truly functional option, not just something cool to have on your boat.

Dealer shoes back on... Spend money! Buy a Malibu!! Rockon.gif

TRACIE --Side note-- Can you please add "Malibu", with a capital M, to your spell check dictionary? :lol:

Yes! The manual wedge is static. The power wedge allows you to shape your wake a little more. BTW, once you start surfing behind it, which you will, all early indicators show it as being a big Thumbup.gif.

Also, this is not an option you can add down the road. Order now or forever hold your peace :)

This is what adjusting the power wedge did on a 247 last year, if that does not give you the urge to surf I don't know what will. Also have a look at this to see what you might be missing...Link

Edited by RiverRunner
This is what adjusting the power wedge did on a 247 last year, if that does not give you the urge to surf I don't know what will. Also have a look at this to see what you might be missing...Link

Any chance a 247 will be at Texas WOW this year?

Any chance a 247 will be at Texas WOW this year?

Not sure I think there are a couple floating around Texas, if not there will be a couple of LSV's loaded to capacity.

i am saying in my dealers shoes and saying GET IT. I have a few folks who bought 2006's and did not get it, and now wish they would have. As a recent customer with a 2006 VLX said "what's another grand when I just spent over 60 for the boat" (He got about everything but the PW BTW). At the very least, you get all nice shiny polished stainless goodies down there.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I had a feeling that was going to be the answer and it wasn't going to take much to change the way I felt about the purchase of the power wedge. So now I guess I'm going to have to have someone show me how to surf, right!

Malibudude: Local lakes will be Boca/ Stampede during the weekdays after work, and Lahotan, Boulards Bar, maybe Pyramid on weekends.