Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Change - Annual Service

It is time to go through the oil change and service procedure. Up until now the dealer has done all the service work, but with the price of gas I need to save that money and do the work myself. Besides changing the oil and filter, what else should I be concerned with? The impeller is also on my list. What kind of oil is best? Any tips or tricks would be helpful.

Thanks....

Ken

My annual routine includes:

Engine oil & filter

Fuel filter

Remove, clean, & reinstall spark arrester

Pull, clean, & regap spark plugs

-I replace them every 2-3 years

Drain & refill tranny

Impellor (replace)

Squeeze all hoses, checking for soft spots (replace as needed)

Check all belts for tension & wear (replace as needed)

I use my boat all winter so a dead battery isn't really a problem but you may want to put your battery on a trickle charger to make sure it's all charged up and ready to go.

Lube steering and throttle cables

Grease rudder shaft

Grease trailer hubs

I think that's it but I may have forgotten something... Dontknow.gif

I use the larger oil filter for the SBC that was stock on 70 & 80's pickups, more filter media, it was AC PF 35 but now I think it is PF1218. And I use Mobil 1 synthetic 15-50. I believe it's Rutat recommended.

Sweet, do we get to dive into the oil/filter discussion again Tease2.gif (poking my own eye)

I do use Mobile 1 10w30 syn

As for the filter - any '02/'03 v-drive owners that have some suggestions on filters? The filter on mine seems to be in the way of the steering cable (maybe time for a remote filter setup)

And I use Mobil 1 synthetic 15-50.   I believe it's Rutat recommended.

if TR were here, which he may be, he would say NWIH he'd use synthetic, it's a WOM as often as our oil is changed, any diesel rated oil from Wal-Mart will do, but buy Valvoline­® :)

...that said, I never paid him that much attention, and I use Mobil 1 15-50 also...all the crazy stop-start driving we put these engines through, why not?

Edited by HRemington

I use fram PH5's (or TG5), even though I have been criticized plenty for it. They have always been fine for me and I liek sticking with what has worked for me in the past.

As for the oil suggestions, I think you need to use something thicker than a 10w30 that sacriverrat suggested. Obviously, the factory calls for 15w40, but lots of people I know run 20w50. A lot depends on your climate and stuff, but I like using a thicker oil. michael in norcal's list was a good one. Make sure to check your cooling system for any debris that may be caught in the lines. But you probably won't find any except for the screen (usually in between the engine and trans., I think)

Edited by wakebrdgod
Drain & refill tranny

Lube steering and throttle cables

Grease rudder shaft

Ok...again first time working on this thing....any tips on tranny fluid change?

Where, what, how do you lube the cables?

does the rudder shaft have a zerk fitting?

1) any tips on tranny fluid change?

2) Where, what, how do you lube the cables?

3) does the rudder shaft have a zerk fitting?

1) You will need some type of fluid removal device. I use a turkey baster with a short piece of hose that fits into the end. Squeeze the ball, fluid gets sucked up. I expel it into a measuring cup so that I know how much to put back in. If you overfill it, the overflow will dump it into your bilge. (messy, messy) Refill with Mercon/Dextron ATF.

2) Lube the cables at the ends. Some use regualr grease but I like a little lighter viscosity. I use a spray on white lithium grease. Never seems to clot up the way some greases do over time. Just put a little lube on the exposed end of the cable and then run it back and forth (whether it's the throttle or the steering). Side note: I like to disconnect the throttle cable when doing this but leave the steering connected.

3) The "Rudder Packing Box" I believe is what they call it and yes it has two zerk fittings for application of grease. Here I use waterproof marine wheel bearing grease.

Edited by NorCaliBu

How I like the oil discussions.

Anyways on the tranny fluid -- use exactly what they recommend. You will need to take a piece of flexible tubing-gas line--whatever to get it as low into the case as you can and attach it to something that will suck out fluid. Maybe a big a$$ turkey baster, vacuum pump, or something of that ilk. Measure as precisely as you can how much you remove and refill with that amount.