Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broken Knock Sensor Wiring Harness

TomMcCauley

Hello, when removing the wiring harness from the knock sensor, I broke (I think) the harness that connects to the sensor. Below is a picture, and you can see how the clip is separated...it appears that this should not be separated. Am I correct that this is broken? If so, what affect will this have on the engine and where can I get this replacement harness? I've found the actual sensor, but it doesn't look like it comes with the harness. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/TomMcCauley/?action=view&current=photo1.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic how bad it is broken. It is just a single wire connection when plugged on. The engine will still work without the knock sensor connected, but of course you lose the knock sensing info for the ECM. The ECM will sound the dash alarm at around 3000 rpm if it is not connected and store trouble code #45 in the ECM. You might be able to find a replacement connector on any junked late model GM engine, and it can be sliced onto your sensor wire.

Edited by electricjohn

Hard to tell from the pic how bad it is broken. It is just a single wire connection when plugged on. The engine will still work without the knock sensor connected, but of course you lose the knock sensing info for the ECM. The ECM will sound the dash alarm at around 3000 rpm if it is not connected and store trouble code #45 in the ECM. You might be able to find a replacement connector on any junked late model GM engine, and it can be sliced onto your sensor wire.

Thank you...Right where my finger is, it looks like this is supposed to be connected, and there are some solid metal tabs that look like they snapped off....can't tell if they're anything important or not. I guess maybe the best thing is to take it back on the water and see if the alarm goes off.

Thanks!