Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Department of Energy Reports Show Severe Damage to Marine Engines from E15,

Sixball

G'day Gents,

I don't know about your US boats, but in AUS the Indmar manual specifies that up to E10 is fine.

Since we purchased our 07 VLX we have been running 95 Octane E10 with no dramas so far. (only 25 hours use).

We also ran E10 in our 3.0L Mercruiser powered Haines Hunter for the last 5 years. We have used this fuel for about 500 hours with no issues so far.

Cheers

Stewart

PS in AUS we make our ethanol from Sugar Cane which I understand is easier than using corn

Sugar Cane is a much better source for ethanol production. We have up to 10% ethanol in most of our fuel but stepping up to 15% is a game changer. I also think its not going to stop at 15%. Our inboards are based off the auto industry witch are changing parts to deal with ethanol.

Yeah i gather the sugar is much better.

In AUS it isn't such a problem, most of our fuels don't have ethanol and you can buy ethanol fuel by choice (which we do).

We have a law that states that the pump must say if ethanol is in fuel.

Completely agree, going past 10% is a game changer, engines which aren't configured to suit the change won't cope.

Quick side note, our Aussie commodores now will run on anything from E0 to E85. That includes the SS which has the Chev LS series motor in it. Perhaps in the future Malibu might do something similar?

http://www.holden.com.au/holden-innovation/ecoline/ethanol

Cheers

Stewart

Quick side note, our Aussie commodores now will run on anything from E0 to E85. That includes the SS which has the Chev LS series motor in it. Perhaps in the future Malibu might do something similar?

http://www.holden.com.au/holden-innovation/ecoline/ethanol

Cheers

Stewart

We have that here too - they are called Flex Fuel motors. E85 just costs more to run so people aren't using it at the pump.