Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Department of Energy Reports Show Severe Damage to Marine Engines from E15,

Sixball

I vividly remember an episode of "The Dukes of Hazard" where Bo and Luke put moonshine in the General Lee when they ran out of gas and were running from the law. Didn't seem to hurt the cars performance. I wonder if some folks in congaress saw that and are trying to get the same results with E-15? I already got water in my gas from E-10 last year.

I have a feeling this study will have no bearing on the eminant rise of E-15. But we can hope. Thanks for sharing.

If I want my fuel to have Ethanol, let me buy E85 (hell, sell E100 for all I care). If I want gasoline, let me buy GASOLINE. E0.

I don't think this would be an issue if E85 wasn't so expensive. It might be a few cents less than gas, but when you get highly reduced fuel mileage from it, it costs way more to run = no one wants to use it (except those with modded cars wanting the 100+ octane E85 provides). Make E85 more economical to run than E10, and it will sell like crazy. E85 gets popular, then focus goes away on putting more ethanol into gasoline.

I don't doubt one bit that fuel consumption rises on E10 and E15 over E0. Wish I could buy E0 around here, other than the marina where I never go or fill up.

If I want my fuel to have Ethanol, let me buy E85 (hell, sell E100 for all I care). If I want gasoline, let me buy GASOLINE. E0.

I don't think this would be an issue if E85 wasn't so expensive. It might be a few cents less than gas, but when you get highly reduced fuel mileage from it, it costs way more to run = no one wants to use it (except those with modded cars wanting the 100+ octane E85 provides). Make E85 more economical to run than E10, and it will sell like crazy. E85 gets popular, then focus goes away on putting more ethanol into gasoline.

I don't doubt one bit that fuel consumption rises on E10 and E15 over E0. Wish I could buy E0 around here, other than the marina where I never go or fill up.

but wait, you have not even started to address all of the political equity created by this goat of a policyVomit.gif

If it was not for subsidies E fuels would have gone the way of Solindra. Did you know it takes 7 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of Ethanol.

One of my ski buds had a big job this summer dredging a lake for a ethanol plant. they need more water as production goes up. :rant:

Add to that its horribly stupid to have dual fuel engines. If you are going to run E85/100 then by all means raise your compression ratio. Would only want that in a near daily driver though as the storage concerns are not fun.

I really cannot go on a rant about that report. In the linked article they give no specifics on what damage the engines sustained. Also if the engines were not designed or calibrated to run on E15 it is not the best test case. Regular gasoline engines can tolerate around 5-8% ethanol with out issues. Over 10% and there needs to be some things done to accomodate for it.

Heres another ethanol fact. E-100 will not light off in an engine below 40 degrees F. Most E-85 pumps migrate to E-70 when it gets cold so you can actually start your engine. Many cars in south america that run on E-100 have a small tank for E-20 for cold starts.

Here in Bend for several years there has been a gas station that sells Premium 93 ? Octane Fuel with no ethanol.

I have put nothing else in my boat even though it is 20 to 30 cents higher.

(For me it was the detiorating effects on rubber fuel lines, the fact that ethanol wicks moisture into the fuel, and that boat gas can sit in my boat for extended periods due to the rotation of boats in my crew.)

Until this year they were forbidden by law to put it into a car that was built after 1965 ? or so.

They would put it into gas cans for lawn mowers, snowmobiles, and so forth.

Or your HotRod :clap:

This year the State Of Oregon has allowed him to sell the high octane zero ethanol for regular autos.

We have it available now at the Card Lock commercial self serve, also.

In Oregon you are not allowed to fill your own gas tank with gasoline by law.

You can fill your truck with Diesel at a normal station , however, but nobody does it. Except Me :crazy:

Edited by DONTW8

It's a labor law. Protecting the jobs of gas station attendants.

Really? Wow there must be one heck of a lot of gas station attendants in Oregon then, cause every time it's gone to vote its been shot down. I think it's cause the women vote it down but that's just a theory.

Edited by Ruffdog
It's a labor law. Protecting the jobs of gas station attendants.
Really? Wow there must be one heck of a lot of gas station attendants in Oregon then, cause every time it's gone to vote its been shot down. I think it's cause the women vote it down but that's just a theory.

:dontknow: That's what was relayed to me by an Oregonian friend. Surely with all of the Oregon members here someone has got to know... :unsure:

If it was not for subsidies E fuels would have gone the way of Solindra. Did you know it takes 7 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of Ethanol.

One of my ski buds had a big job this summer dredging a lake for a ethanol plant. they need more water as production goes up. :rant:

That was only valuable if the dredging reprivate in producing a private ski lake.

Why is that?

I was told 30 years ago, but it could be entirely incorrect, that it was the result of someone setting off a fire/explosion filling self-serve and the legislature in their infinite wisdom decided average drivers were too stupid to put in their own gas.

Why is that?

They do it in Jersey too. But the sad thing is that even with paying the attendent union wages and benefits the gas is cheeper in Jersey than in Charlotte :(

I was told 30 years ago, but it could be entirely incorrect, that it was the result of someone setting off a fire/explosion filling self-serve and the legislature in their infinite wisdom decided average drivers were too stupid to put in their own gas.

This, although most people living in Oregon now either weren't around when it happened to know or they've forgotten. There was an accident & the legislature passed the law to protect the masses from themselves.

They do it in Jersey too. But the sad thing is that even with paying the attendent union wages and benefits the gas is cheeper in Jersey than in Charlotte :(

Might be worth the drive down 85 to exit 75 in SC. I paid 2.83/gal a couple times last week as I traveled through there.

............. decided average drivers were too stupid to put in their own gas.

But the average gas station attendant is super smart?

Well, smart enough to not get another job. :Doh:

Seems like every time I go to OR I stop at a station with the laziest attendant ever.

Unless they have some password, I just pump myself and claim I didn't know from Cali ya know.... :) They just too many times they are just too slow and I'm not going to wait.

The dispense law is just an imbecilic Oregon/NJ law. Buffoons saving Oregonians from themselves since ’51 (OR) where the legislature thought people were inept to refuel their cars. Excuse me but the pump-jockey’s are no more qualified that anyone else. The law requires them to be certified…another gov’t regulation that never happens. What I find interesting is that it's OK for motorcyclists to fill up themselves and at cardlock stations but a auto/truck it’s not. What’s more asinine is that the pump jokey is required to activate the pump and hand it to the motorcyclist and must be handed the nozzle back to turn the machine off…. So I guess motorcyclists are better at dispensing gas then?? Boats and RV's can get a pass especially if the attendant has to hold the handle. The problem is the law is being perpetuated by creating jobs/licensing fees all of which end up funding programs i.e. bloated gov’t. Section 408.315 Policy #14 Self-service dispensing at retail contributes to unemployment, particularly among young people. While the law may have been enacted to save us from ourselves it clearly is a draconian law that needs to eliminated. Most that I know living there prefer to have their gas pumped by an attendant…go figure.

Oh it’s good to know that pilots can refuel their planes…oh wait it must be a regulated facility…this is even better another gov’t division the Oregon Department of Aviation…

I’m wondering how 48 other states have survived this long w/o this gov’t oversight…….

Here in Ontario I can't remember the last time I saw a gas attendant....but it drives me nuts they remove the latch/ lock mechanism on the gas pump handles at all self serve pumps....I usually jam my wallet in there to keep the pump run'n...hehe

Here in Ontario I can't remember the last time I saw a gas attendant....but it drives me nuts they remove the latch/ lock mechanism on the gas pump handles at all self serve pumps....I usually jam my wallet in there to keep the pump run'n...hehe

You gas cap works good too....until the auto shutoff on the nozzle malfunctions while you're inside waiting behind Billybob to spend the last $10 in his name on a pack of full flavor Dorals and 5 lotto tickets!!! That reminds me.......................

You gas cap works good too....until the auto shutoff on the nozzle malfunctions while you're inside waiting behind Billybob to spend the last $10 in his name on a pack of full flavor Dorals and 5 lotto tickets!!! That reminds me.......................

that's another pet peave of mine....having to wait in a convience store while someone ties up the clerk of ages buying /playing lottery !

G'day Gents,

I don't know about your US boats, but in AUS the Indmar manual specifies that up to E10 is fine.

Since we purchased our 07 VLX we have been running 95 Octane E10 with no dramas so far. (only 25 hours use).

We also ran E10 in our 3.0L Mercruiser powered Haines Hunter for the last 5 years. We have used this fuel for about 500 hours with no issues so far.

Cheers

Stewart

PS in AUS we make our ethanol from Sugar Cane which I understand is easier than using corn

Edited by stooy