Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Sunsetter LXI what to I need to set it up for surfing?

Wall Lake

I got a 2001 Malibu Sunsetter LXI and like to set it up for surfing what do I need to get a great wave? I have a ballast in the ski locker and the boat does have the wedge. It has perfect pass so I can go to the same speed ever time. Also what kind of board should I look at getting? I was thinks of adding a ballast in the back storage compartment to get more weight to the back of the boat would this help? Thanks

I have an 03 lxi we run 300lbs in the ski locker, 750lbs next to engine compartment surf side,I ihave 2 small sacks that are 125lbs, one up in bow as far over to surf side it fits nicely in the open spot on the side, the other I set on the rear hatch on top as far back and as far to surf side, Which is port side.Wedge down. usually just my wife in boat, and 9.8 mph seems about right sometimes 10 or so. this puts the rub rail about 5 or 6 inches above water line standing still, and when underway its just above waterline. this year i got a Shapiro ginsu, It was on sale cheap, super fast board. very fragile though, and no problem going ropeless. can get alot further back with the ginsu than some other boards. never tried the starboard side, the gas vent looks like it might get water in it. Have forgotten to put wedge down but could still go ropeless. really like the ginsu and have used my friends real surf board it was nice to but not as fast. Hope this helps.

Dont put weight in rear ski locker will damge gas tank unless you add support. to much weight to far back and the sweet spot gets to close to swim platform. seems to help getting it to list to side. if your fortunate enough to have live people move them around till you figure out whats right for you.

Edited by 2milehigh

Dont put weight in rear ski locker will damge gas tank unless you add support. to much weight to far back and the sweet spot gets to close to swim platform. seems to help getting it to list to side. if your fortunate enough to have live people move them around till you figure out whats right for you.

He is right about the gas tank under the trunk. However if you're willing to put in a little elbow greace you can add a automatic ballast bag in the trunk. I did it and have been VERY happy with the results. I now have 400lbs in the ski locker, 500lbs in the trunk, and have no problem surfing ropless with just 3 people in the boat (see my avatar). Follow this thread to first reinforce your trunk and the follow this thread on how to install and plumb the auto ballast.

Good luck!

I've spent some time on Wall Lake. Beautiful. I've got some relatives on the south end. Really nice water. What color SS LXI did you get? I've got the same boat… and love it!

I've spent some time on Wall Lake. Beautiful. I've got some relatives on the south end. Really nice water. What color SS LXI did you get? I've got the same boat… and love it!

It has the black strip just under the bump rail and the rest of the side is maroon. The boat came from Gun Lake and the old owner had the wakesetter graphics put on the side around the Malibu, it looks like a wakesetter but is a SS LXI. I like to post some pictures but my pictures are to big for the forums.

Edited by Wall Lake
  • 4 months later...

I have an 03 lxi we run 300lbs in the ski locker, 750lbs next to engine compartment surf side,I ihave 2 small sacks that are 125lbs, one up in bow as far over to surf side it fits nicely in the open spot on the side, the other I set on the rear hatch on top as far back and as far to surf side, Which is port side.Wedge down. usually just my wife in boat, and 9.8 mph seems about right sometimes 10 or so. this puts the rub rail about 5 or 6 inches above water line standing still, and when underway its just above waterline. this year i got a Shapiro ginsu, It was on sale cheap, super fast board. very fragile though, and no problem going ropeless. can get alot further back with the ginsu than some other boards. never tried the starboard side, the gas vent looks like it might get water in it. Have forgotten to put wedge down but could still go ropeless. really like the ginsu and have used my friends real surf board it was nice to but not as fast. Hope this helps.

Which 750lb sack do you have that fits on the side of the engine compartment? I was planning to get a 750lb Fly High Sack but its spec says 20"x20" and I only have 16" width of floor space in our 04 SSLXI. I was getting ready to order a pair of 400s. Thanks in advance.

Which 750lb sack do you have that fits on the side of the engine compartment? I was planning to get a 750lb Fly High Sack but its spec says 20"x20" and I only have 16" width of floor space in our 04 SSLXI. I was getting ready to order a pair of 400s. Thanks in advance.

My guess is it's not filled to marshmallow shape

Be careful about sacking the side of the dog house, I know what happens when you put too much weight against the hinges. When I surfed behind mine I had a 250 up front, 250 in the ski locker, 250 side of dog house and a 750 on the rear seat. As others mentioned you must reinforce the tuck to support a sack over the gas tank. You gas sensor will be screwed up if you don't.

We used to run 1500lbs. plus the wedge in our 99 SSLXi. It was surfable with a decent sized board and some basic skills.

3 - 500lb sacks. One in the ski locker, one on side of the engine, another on top of that sack/the back seat.

I have been looking at getting two 500 lbs tanks one for between the rear seat and one for next to the motor. I think to start with that and always can add more if needed.

• 1 month later...

We went out last weekend to play with our new 04 SSLXI and surfing. I put (2) 400lbs in an "L" shape on the floor around the motor box and we were able to go ropeless with the wedge but we could only surf right near the platform. I then filled a 500lb and placed it on the same side rear seats and at 10mph we were ropeless and about 6-8' back. Perfect for us. I know the bigger boats throw much larger wakes but for us, getting to the lake at 7am and footing, then a few slalom sets and afternoon surfing completed the day.

Be careful about sacking the side of the dog house, I know what happens when you put too much weight against the hinges. When I surfed behind mine I had a 250 up front, 250 in the ski locker, 250 side of dog house and a 750 on the rear seat. As others mentioned you must reinforce the tuck to support a sack over the gas tank. You gas sensor will be screwed up if you don't.

i just ordered the following fat sac ( http://www.onlyinboards.com/AccessoryShop/Products/BallastFatSacs/Ballast-Bags/Pro-X-Series-Jumbo-V-Drive-Surf-Sac.aspx ) Planned on putting it on the floor right above the gas tank. Is this not a good idea? Even though it is a surf sac, i was going to use it for wakeboarding.

i just ordered the following fat sac ( http://www.onlyinboa...e-Surf-Sac.aspx ) Planned on putting it on the floor right above the gas tank. Is this not a good idea? Even though it is a surf sac, i was going to use it for wakeboarding.

I never did place any ballast in the trunk just gear, probably wouldn’t have gone through the modification needed to reinforce the gas tank. With a 500lbs sac in the ski locker (midship) and the wedge the wake was a good intermediate wake. Occasionally I filled up my 2x250lbs on either side of the engine but rare. Imho I would get lead weight and place it under the rear corners and along the sides. Nothing is wrong w/ the sac it’s fine, just the fuel tank will be partially crushed under that weight and w/o some decent supports it’s just not worth it imho. Also too much weight in the rear w/o balancing up front makes the fixed wedge less effective as well. The boat needs to be somewhat level to maximize the benefit.

I dont plan on putting this sac in the trunk, i want to lay it on the floor right in front of the back seat. The plan is to lay it longways with one end touching the end of the ski locker and the other touching the rear seat. I had never thought of the extra weight over the gas tank being a problem until you just mentioned it. Your thoughts?Its an 1100 lbs fat sac.

I'm confused. You can't have the sac touching the rear of the ski locker in front of the ski pylon and touch the rear seat w the engine in between. If you mean the ski locker as part of the bilge running to the rear...you do want to keep in mind behind the engine is a removable floor to access the HDS and the packing nut/driveline. You want to equalize the weight on either side of it as well. I wouldn't focus 1,100lbs on that specific area alone. You could lay the sac lengthwise behind the engine compartment on the floor. The thing to watch is too much pressure on the engine cover hinges on the floor w/a the pressure of the bag going forward and when coming off plane as it will roll forward a bit. The weight concentrated at the stern in the middle won't be as effective in creating a clean wake as the boat will want to roll more, you want more even displacement.

iphone064.jpgiphone032.jpg

Sorry for the confusion. Hope these pics will help. I am wanting to lay the fat sac on the floor starting at the rear of the ski locker where my wife's foot is in th bottom pic, and the end of the fat sac be where my buddy is sitting in the top pic. My concern was that the gas tank is below the floor where the fat sac will sit. I am wondering if the 1100lbs sac is too much for my floor.

I would think in your Vdrive you should have no problem putting on the floor there where you want it, or right across in front of the rear seat. I think Malibudude was revering to SSLXI, were it is a direct drive with a motor in the middle.

Oh, your boat is a 01' VLX not a SSLXI as the heading states so yes I was confused. No that I know which boat you actually have lol...no worries about the center where you place the sac really. I'd still go wdith wise rather than length wise but it's just what makes the wake best for you.

As others mentioned you must reinforce the tuck to support a sack over the gas tank. You gas sensor will be screwed up if you don't.

Yea sorry about the confusion, in reading this post i saw this statement. It reminded me that my gas tank is right below where i put my fat sac. I wanted to make sure the extra weight would not cause a problem.

Yea sorry about the confusion, in reading this post i saw this statement. It reminded me that my gas tank is right below where i put my fat sac. I wanted to make sure the extra weight would not cause a problem.

In your situation no not a problem. The rear trunk of the SSLXI it is.