Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3 Tower "handbolts" mod...

bmontini

OK, so I absolutely had to "fix" the G3 tower hand-knobs...

I bought some retaining cables here: Discount Marine

Used a drill, tap and some 6-32 hardware.... and the G3 Knobs from Bakes because they had a flat spot in the center where I could drill...

Below is the result... The knobs spin freely, if they "slip" while being taken out, they can't fall too far and hit the gelcoat. If the tower is folded, they stay outside the boat, and won't hit anything either..

Let me know what you think...

TowerBolts1s.jpg

TowerBolts2s.jpg

If possible, I would have run the leash like this...

TowerBolts1s.jpg

I thought of that, but I would have had to remove that plate to drill the hole and tap it.... Also, with these leashes, the knob would have hung down and hit the gelcoat (OUCH!) when they were out

I specifically placed it exactly where I did so it won't hit the gelcoat when they are out, and when the tower is folded down (with them hanging of course) it wouldn't get "stuck" in the joint. they behave very well and stay out of the way completely.. AND I can see the "loops" in my mirrors to know the knobs are still there @ 65mph... :)

I do agree about the hex head, but this is what I had, and I wasn't going to run out for 2 bolts that the boat store probably wouldn't have! hahahah

Is dropping them really a problem?? I spin mine out and set them in the cup holders directly below the tower. Works great.

If you're having problems with them loosening up on their own, use a lock washer and a flat washer (against the face of the aluminum knob so the washer doesn't tear it up). Works great. I've never had one loosen up.

Is dropping them really a problem?? I spin mine out and set them in the cup holders directly below the tower. Works great.

If you're having problems with them loosening up on their own, use a lock washer and a flat washer (against the face of the aluminum knob so the washer doesn't tear it up). Works great. I've never had one loosen up.

It's not until you do!:crazy:

I agreee, never has been as issue for me of "dropping them", and I take down my tower many times throughout the season, I also just place them in the cup holders. Seems like a nice mod if you keep dropping them, but I will elect not to drill any holes into my tower. if I was taking it down on the water this would make sense, drop one in the lake and your screwed.

• 5 weeks later...

OK, so I absolutely had to "fix" the G3 tower hand-knobs...

I bought some retaining cables here: Discount Marine

Used a drill, tap and some 6-32 hardware.... and the G3 Knobs from Bakes because they had a flat spot in the center where I could drill...

Below is the result... The knobs spin freely, if they "slip" while being taken out, they can't fall too far and hit the gelcoat. If the tower is folded, they stay outside the boat, and won't hit anything either..

Let me know what you think...

TowerBolts1s.jpg

TowerBolts2s.jpg

Great idea! I take my tower down every time out to fit under my canopy. Except the only issue is that I have the malibu knobs that have a large Allen head in the middle so this won't work with those.