Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing Surprise! ????

91Sunsetter

Was winterizing the boat and noticed that I had a lot of nasty stuff in my coolant passage! Will the r/v antifreeze break it down over winter? What do I need to do to clean it out completely??

waterresize.jpg

Was winterizing the boat and noticed that I had a lot of nasty stuff in my coolant passage! Will the r/v antifreeze break it down over winter? What do I need to do to clean it out completely??

waterresize.jpg

Is that the thermostat housing?

man....that's nasty lookin.....I'd tear my entire engine down and sandblast all the internal water passages :Tease3:

does your boat run ok? Temp stays steady at max operating temp? if yes, then don't fix it if it aint broke !

Runs great and keeps the right temp always. Is there something I can add to the coolant for the winter that will kill all that stuff?

To the other questions.

It's raw water. This is under a blank plate behind where my water inlets and outlets come in and go out. And I think the white and black is that I sprayed some fogger in there for a sec to see if it would help break it up.

ouch...there must be a fllushing product for this kind of thing similar to " CLR" that can break down and clear the system?

To the other questions.

It's raw water. This is under a blank plate behind where my water inlets and outlets come in and go out. And I think the white and black is that I sprayed some fogger in there for a sec to see if it would help break it up.

She's 20 years old. You'll get some scale in there. Biggrin.gif

On the other hand, you said under the blank plate. You do have a t-stat in there during the season right? With the scale that rough it makes me wonder if you had the t-stat and the ring that holds it in place. Parts #9 and #10 should be in place.

Should look like the attached drawing....

THERMOSTAT HOUSING-STANDARD COOLING-NEW DESIGN.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, moved that whole thermostat housing off and poured under that.

Powerflush, small orfices are clogged or are going to clog.. maybe a dry storage might kill the mussels but could promote more rust which then might help to loosen things up then power flush again in the spring?

I would store wet with antifreeze to get whats left of that blocks life after you get it cleaned out..