Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

thru-hull thread size

Hentz

Does anyone know what size thread the through hull is for ballast pumps? Better yet does anyone know if you can read something into the bottom of the through hulls for adding antifreeze into the ballast tanks

Should be 3/4" but just run them dry and maybe pull the cartridge out of the pump housing. I'm on the bandwagon for no antifreeze (of any kind at any time) needed for a boat.

Edited by Ndawg12

Does anyone know what size thread the through hull is for ballast pumps? Better yet does anyone know if you can read something into the bottom of the through hulls for adding antifreeze into the ballast tanks

I searched high and low for this very thing. The problem is that it is a tapered thread, so from under the boat, it is just slightly less than 3/4". Nothing that I found would work. I ended up putting a tee in each ballast line so that I could pump some AF into the line. I also use a funnel and hose setup to pour some AF through the drain thru-hulls to get some into each drain pump. I'm not quite as worried about the fill pumps since they are easily accessible to replace, if needed, but the hoses and the drain pumps would be another story. I'd rather be safe and get some AF in there than to have to try to figure out how to get them replaced! I've read some horror stories about getting at the drain pumps.

The standard piranha ballast pumps don't require anti-freeze. They will self drain out of the water if you toggle them a couple times. The residual water won't harm them.

There has been some debate as to whether the hoses will break with water in them. They are mostly routed so that there are not any loops, but not perfectly so. Some people have expressed the opinion that the hoses can be full of water and they will just stretch a little and be fine anyway. I think the last post I remember well was a dealer guy who was not concerned about it, so I think that is the case.

Maybe Bake's would chime in and tell us what they do?