Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

best malibu crossover

groovymalibu

looking to spend the least amount possible to get what I want!

but can go up to around 35 or so.

in calgary, alberta and sometimes, saskatoon, sask, but will travel for the right boat. inc stateside.

I will keep my eyes open. I have 2 friends with 23 XTI's that are really happy with them. Don't discount the XTI. Some people do not like the seating, but after spending some time in them they really are a nice option. And with them being discontinued the prices should be a little lower than a V-drive.

Trent

...Why ... stop the sunsetter consideration at a 2004? ...

Because the 99-04 LXi was a better slalom hull. In 05 the hull change made the boat 4½" wider and 400 lbs heavier which had a negative effect on the slalom wake. The gas tank also got 11 gallons larger so if you fill the tank, there's almost 100 more pounds.

well I found a boat up here (up in Canada) - 2007 Malibu Xti 21.5 with 98 hours on it. wants 40k for it.

how does this boat stack up? look like a really weird seating layout. a DD trying to be a V drive maybe?

better off sticking with 07 vlx instead or others mentioned here?

I really like the VTX as others mentioned. However i just prefer a direct drive layout for many reasons (handling, ease of maintenance, etc). Plus i could not afford the jack for a used VTX. I bought a 2002 XTi, the 23 foot version. Under 250 hrs, hammerhead engine, MLS balast, wedge, lights, tower, etc. Holds 13, slaloms great, wakeboards well, surfs well weighted, etc. We love it, and stayed under $30k. Awesome boat with room to spare.

-- Mike

I really like the VTX as others mentioned. However i just prefer a direct drive layout for many reasons (handling, ease of maintenance, etc). Plus i could not afford the jack for a used VTX. I bought a 2002 XTi, the 23 foot version. Under 250 hrs, hammerhead engine, MLS balast, wedge, lights, tower, etc. Holds 13, slaloms great, wakeboards well, surfs well weighted, etc. We love it, and stayed under $30k. Awesome boat with room to spare.

-- Mike

how do you add extra ballast with the weird seating layout in the back of the XTI?

anyone have any opinions on the price of a 2007 21.5' xti with 98 hours for 40k?

how do you add extra ballast with the weird seating layout in the back of the XTI?

anyone have any opinions on the price of a 2007 21.5' xti with 98 hours for 40k?

Find out if it is on the diamond hull. As for extra weight it can be placed in the middle of the floor back there or on the seats. Surfing is the biggest limiting factor of the xti model because you can't put an 1100 lb bag in the corner locker!

Find out if it is on the diamond hull. As for extra weight it can be placed in the middle of the floor back there or on the seats. Surfing is the biggest limiting factor of the xti model because you can't put an 1100 lb bag in the corner locker!

yeah, this one is on the diamond hull.

Hi,

I currently have a 1993 Ski Nautique and am looking for a bigger newer model crossover boat that can slalom really well, wakeboard (intermediate - big air jumps, 360, 180, etc, no inverts) and can also surf without the rope.

Does it exist in Malibu boats?

Thanks!

Hands down Malibu VTX with diamond hull, no doubt!

-Paul

You can put weight in the trunk behind the rear seat or up the port side walkway. The 21 XTi has a sort of chopped up seat area in the rear, but the 23 has a lot more room on the floor and huge seating areas that flow nicely. But not as nice for bags/weight as a v-drive.

Bad time of year for a test drive but i would drive and ski before you buy to make sure you like your new ride!

-- Mike

I have a buddy with the '04 Sunsetter 21XTi, definitely one of the most versatile boats out there. If I had the same budget as you I would go with a 03-04 SSLxi or Xti, they are both great for slalom, but will do everything you want. The way I see it is for $30k you can find a MINT one and its like getting a new boat for half price! And its one of the best boats ever made!

I don't think it's been said yet, but the early V-Rides are pretty good at just about everything for a great price. If I could have afforded a VTX (diamond or not) we probably would have gone with one, but our budget was too modest.

We have a 2007 v-ride and for your requirements it can do it all. Full ballast and wedge down I've yet to see anyone begging for more when wakeboarding. In fact most of my friends, even the best riders, don't ride with all ballast and wedge...and to boot the wake is easily cleaned up without all enhancements in place, and that's at 20mph or even less. Not a lot of boats can do that from what I've seen.

I've had a few skiers behind the V-Ride and they all had a great time. It's not a tournament ski boat but it's a fast nimble boat and on a 1/2 tank of gas, and a light load, it puts out a surprisingly flat wake.

The one are it needs help with is surfing. With stock ballast I gotta have at least 3 guys surf-side for most to go ropeless. Luckily it's cheap and easy to upgrade ballast which I plan on doing this winter.

Edited by rennis

well, I've been scouring the world wide interweb for a 2007 VTX on a diamond hull, but they seem to be like the mythical unicorn. very hard to find....

anybody have one for sale?? :biggrin:

well, I've been scouring the world wide interweb for a 2007 VTX on a diamond hull, but they seem to be like the mythical unicorn. very hard to find....

anybody have one for sale?? :biggrin:

Try to find one with the wake hull. Take it for a test drive. I saw a comparison on the VTX wake and diamond hulls and they could hardly tell the difference in wake size and shape.

Hi,

I currently have a 1993 Ski Nautique and am looking for a bigger newer model crossover boat that can slalom really well, wakeboard (intermediate - big air jumps, 360, 180, etc, no inverts) and can also surf without the rope.

Does it exist in Malibu boats?

Thanks!

You may want to consider the Malibu response... it is a bit bigger than your ski nautique

I have been amazed at the versatility of the 2006 Malibu Response LXI with the power wedge and and Tower

The ski and Barefoot wake is Excellent of course....

The wakeboard wake is much better than most people realize... it is good for begginers all the way up to intermediate-Advanced. Experts will want sometheing better though (I have had folks do 360's flips etc on it)

And although I think it might be considered a Sin .....You can surf behind it too ...( But only if there are none of us skiiers around) lol

Using the Power wedge as opposed to the fixed wedge allows you to change the angle of it while underway and will generate larger and different sized wakes at differant angles and speeds.

I have been able to do all of that and without needing Sacs!!!

pr

• 3 weeks later...

I may have a line on a 2007 vtx cut diamond hull with 200 hours for about 28k. the catch is that the gel coat needs to be completely refinished.

should I be wary of this boat or snap the deal up and get the gel coat done?

I may have a line on a 2007 vtx cut diamond hull with 200 hours for about 28k. the catch is that the gel coat needs to be completely refinished.

should I be wary of this boat or snap the deal up and get the gel coat done?

What's the story on the gelcoat?

If it is trashed due to neglect, you have to wonder what else was not taken care of.