Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

best malibu crossover

groovymalibu

Hi,

I currently have a 1993 Ski Nautique and am looking for a bigger newer model crossover boat that can slalom really well, wakeboard (intermediate - big air jumps, 360, 180, etc, no inverts) and can also surf without the rope.

Does it exist in Malibu boats?

Thanks!

You can look at the VTX. I am pretty biased. (Currently ordering my third one) But I have spent a lot of time in the Malibu line up and the VTX is the best all around boat they have in a V-drive config. This is just my opinion, but the XTI line they use to build is fantastic for lower speed water sports for younger kids and beginners. The wake is smaller at the lower speeds.

I have a 23LSV on the diamond hull. I don't use any additional ballast and love the wakes for all you mentioned. The surf wake would be better with additional weight but we don't have any problems going ropeless with just the factory ballast. We usually have enough people to move folks around to make a great surf wake but even with three of us the surf wake is good. I came from a Centurion Elite-V and the wake on the Malibu is better in all areas. I also find the rough water ride to be better. There are a lot of threads you will find here regarding the diamond hull on the Wakesetter model line up. I would definitely recommend that you get out on the 23 LSV to check it out. You will get a lot of thoughts here on what people like that will help narrow down your search but getting out in one is the only way to know for sure.

Kris

Hi,

I currently have a 1993 Ski Nautique and am looking for a bigger newer model crossover boat that can slalom really well, wakeboard (intermediate - big air jumps, 360, 180, etc, no inverts) and can also surf without the rope.

Does it exist in Malibu boats?

Thanks!

2007-2012 Wakesetter VTX on a cut-diamond hull is probably the best crossover boat made . . . by anybody.

How much "bigger newer" are you looking?

The VTX is the best. You can slalom, surf or wakeboard, it's got a lot of room, lots of storage, great quality and styling, fantastic handling and performance, fits in the garage and is easily towed. The boat doesn't feel like a barge like a lot of other wakeboats but seems much larger inside than the 20 feet that it is. I wouldn't trade mine for any other boat. Try one and see. :rockon:

is there anyway to know if the VTX is a diamond hull if the current owner of the boat doesn't know if it's a diamond hull or not?

I'm assuming that a v-drive on a diamond hull at 34 -36 mph makes a good slalom wake? ie course ski-able at 28' off (don't imagine I'll ever get better than 32), so super short line is not a requirement.

looking for about a 05 - 07 21' ish. I can't imagine that a slalom wake will be very forgiving on a boat bigger than 21 or 22 feet.

thanks for the great info so far!

2007-2012 Wakesetter VTX on a cut-diamond hull is probably the best crossover boat made . . . by anybody.

How much "bigger newer" are you looking?

+1 it does everything well.

is there anyway to know if the VTX is a diamond hull if the current owner of the boat doesn't know if it's a diamond hull or not?

I'm assuming that a v-drive on a diamond hull at 34 -36 mph makes a good slalom wake? ie course ski-able at 28' off (don't imagine I'll ever get better than 32), so super short line is not a requirement.

looking for about a 05 - 07 21' ish. I can't imagine that a slalom wake will be very forgiving on a boat bigger than 21 or 22 feet.

When looking at the transom, the diamond hull has a reverse chine and the wake hull does not. The VTX started production in 07.

Edited by Joe Hollywood

+1 it does everything well.

without a doubt the 99 to 04 sunsetter lxi will do everything you want and at 21 feet 8 inches has tons of room I found mine 2 years ago at a great price and have not been dissapointed. the slalom wake is incredible, fill the ski locker ballast put down the wedge and you have a great wakeboard wake. add 750 lbs to your surf side and go ropeless all day. it has tons of storage in its 18 cu ft trunk. if skiing is your thing this is the boat for you if you wakeboard more than the v drive would be better. but at half the price of most v drives mine was an 03 totally loaded with every option 203 hrs at 17,500 you can use the extra money for other things. also the direct drive configuration allows totall acces to the engine for quick draining early and late season in colorado at 9600 feet thats really important. something I never thought about. you wont see to many because nobody wants to get rid of thiers. Im sure im not the only one on the crew that thinks this way and i I am very fortunate that I learned about this boat on this web site.

without a doubt the 99 to 04 sunsetter lxi will do everything you want and at 21 feet 8 inches has tons of room I found mine 2 years ago at a great price and have not been dissapointed. the slalom wake is incredible, fill the ski locker ballast put down the wedge and you have a great wakeboard wake. add 750 lbs to your surf side and go ropeless all day. it has tons of storage in its 18 cu ft trunk. if skiing is your thing this is the boat for you if you wakeboard more than the v drive would be better. but at half the price of most v drives mine was an 03 totally loaded with every option 203 hrs at 17,500 you can use the extra money for other things. also the direct drive configuration allows totall acces to the engine for quick draining early and late season in colorado at 9600 feet thats really important. something I never thought about. you wont see to many because nobody wants to get rid of thiers. Im sure im not the only one on the crew that thinks this way and i I am very fortunate that I learned about this boat on this web site.

:plus1: If your family favors the skiing side of watersports than the SSLxi is the boat for you. I have had mine for 2 seasons now and could not be happier. I did do a DIY ballast upgrade to get the wakeboard and surf wake purfect, but the cost of that was way less than the cost of a V-drive upgrad. Don't be fooled though, ^ this guy got a STEAL of a deal at $17.5k for a fully loaded '03.

:plus1: If your family favors the skiing side of watersports than the SSLxi is the boat for you. I have had mine for 2 seasons now and could not be happier. I did do a DIY ballast upgrade to get the wakeboard and surf wake purfect, but the cost of that was way less than the cost of a V-drive upgrad. Don't be fooled though, ^ this guy got a STEAL of a deal at $17.5k for a fully loaded '03.

yes was very lucky a mortgage broker/realestste guy needed cash asap. was in march so no testdrive but had complete history at the malibu dealer and compression test came back perfect dont recomend buying a boat in this manner but couldnt turn down the deal he paid 31k 2 years prior. sucks to buy a boat when theres nothing but snow.spent next 3 mos sitting in it listening to stereo until things thawed out most sslxis weeeere going for 22-26k last summer. bought from 2nd owner who never cleaned it. lots of elbow grease to get her looking pristine. he said he had 3 replies within 10 minutes of posting ad on craigslist and 1 was second first guy said he would have to drive before he would lay down cash. risk=rewards. 6th boat i purchased first without testing first. those deals are out ther though.

You should also consider an '02-'04 Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV. You would need to plumb in some ballast for surfing, but it's a great all rounder. It's probably not quite as good of a crossover as a VTX, but it's a good option if a VTX is out of your price range.

well I found a boat up here (up in Canada) - 2007 Malibu Xti 21.5 with 98 hours on it. wants 40k for it.

how does this boat stack up? look like a really weird seating layout. a DD trying to be a V drive maybe?

better off sticking with 07 vlx instead or others mentioned here?

Edited by groovymalibu

I am also biased, but do believe that the VTX on the cut diamond hull meets your requirements quite nicely.

I think obski also had an 01 Sunsetter VLX that alot of people consider to be a very good crossover boat for a V-drive, sounds like you prefer the VTX as a crossover boat?

I think obski also had an 01 Sunsetter VLX that alot of people consider to be a very good crossover boat for a V-drive, sounds like you prefer the VTX as a crossover boat?

I did have a 01 SS VLX and it had both a very good slalom wake and an excellent wakeboarding wake. It was on a diamond hull. The VTX on the cut diamond hull has a slightly better ski wake and perhaps not quite as good of a wakeboard wake, but it handles much, much better. Not that the SS VLX handled poorly, but the VTX is nimble like a sports car. They both have the bonus of the v-drive layout.

well I found a boat up here (up in Canada) - 2007 Malibu Xti 21.5 with 98 hours on it. wants 40k for it.

how does this boat stack up? look like a really weird seating layout. a DD trying to be a V drive maybe?

better off sticking with 07 vlx instead or others mentioned here?

Where are you located and what do you want to spend?

Trent

Ha ha..I think I know of a Orange and Silver flake for sale!

That's not what I was thinking! Although their is this nice gently used boat I know of. :whistle:

I also know of a couple of others out there right now.

Hey 2 Mile High......Go Lions!!! We've been so bad for so long, it feels great to gloat a bit ! Why did you stop the sunsetter consideration at a 2004? I have a 2006 SS LXI that seems to be pretty darn versatile.

Hey 2 Mile High......Go Lions!!! We've been so bad for so long, it feels great to gloat a bit ! Why did you stop the sunsetter consideration at a 2004? I have a 2006 SS LXI that seems to be pretty darn versatile.

[/quote as a long time bronco fan i was actually rooting for the lions. Not a tebow fan and my wife is from traverse city. I listen to Edwin he sounds like a hard core skier like myself and he has skied behind so many different boats at 93.5 wide the ski wake was suposedly better i diidnt mean to dis the new boats and have never skied behind anything other than my 03 other than older mastercrafts and centurion after sking behind the centurion i thought i would never by a tounrnament style boat. it had a very hard wake. my old boat was a 69 Tahiti with a 150 mec outboard at 36 the wake is actually nonexistent when my turns are off i pull that little boat around like its a canoe. but after reading all the info on this site I knew the lxi was for me. love it!. but others said the wider newer boats didnt ski as well. plus im on a budget. my sking has improved so much with my lxi . just like the lions. glad i bought a dd because my wife who was a wakeboarder/snowboarder learned to ski and the wake at 28mph is still manageable at that speed i have read that v drives ski good above 32 but start to drop off as speed slows down. After reading Edwins info I believe he really Knows his stuff. I feel ffotunate that the Broncos have won 2 back to back super bowls and will definetly be rooting for the Lions all the way. writing off the rest of the season for the broncos, took Elway several seasons to get it right just dont think Tebow is the right fit for us . you guys should gloat! sorry for rambling its late and PBR is affecting My typing Skills.

looking to spend the least amount possible to get what I want!

but can go up to around 35 or so.

in calgary, alberta and sometimes, saskatoon, sask, but will travel for the right boat. inc stateside.

I did have a 01 SS VLX and it had both a very good slalom wake and an excellent wakeboarding wake. It was on a diamond hull. The VTX on the cut diamond hull has a slightly better ski wake and perhaps not quite as good of a wakeboard wake, but it handles much, much better. Not that the SS VLX handled poorly, but the VTX is nimble like a sports car. They both have the bonus of the v-drive layout.

Wow, I've never been in a newer boat on the water, but can't believe one handling much better, I thought ours handled well. I assumed the wakeboard wake would have been better on a newer, wider, heavier boat, I realize the VTX is a foot shorter, but just assumed the wake would be a little bigger then an older boat. I know the VTX ski wake pictures I have seen look amazing. Interesting info, Thanks.