Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What the #%&#

smooth as glass

Was doing routine cleaning and noticed this grayish gunk on the tube going to the breather. Never seen this before. Could it be residue from recent bottle of fuel stabilizer or injector cleaner? Really appreciate any input! It even stained the faux carbon fiber cover. All else is statusquo. close to 1700 hours on this 2000Lxi monsoon. She's my baby and hate to see her throwing up this yuck!NSC_9987_l.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martinarcher

• smooth as glass

• Lance B. Johnson

• 85 Barefoot

That looks like oil and water sludge. Obviously the oil is coming from the vent, as designed. Water/condensation is coming from somewhere too. Should have nothing to do with your fuel system.

That looks like oil and water sludge. Obviously the oil is coming from the vent, as designed. Water/condensation is coming from somewhere too. Should have nothing to do with your fuel system.

This is what I am thinking. Hope your oil is clean :cry: .

I'm no Yates, but can you elaborate please? As designed? since when is oil designed to bet fed from the egr through the intake?

I'm no Yates, but can you elaborate please? As designed? since when is oil designed to bet fed from the egr through the intake?

I'm pretty sure the other end of that hose connects to the breather or pcv valve in the valve cover. It's for crankcase ventillation. By design (cars too) crankcase "fumes" are sucked back into the intake. There will always be oil vapor in the back flow into the intake.

Edited by vette-ski

I'm just going off of what I have experienced with my 350 Merc. Different engine model, but I assumed the concept was the same. I have one on each side that vents thru a PCV, and I will have oil residue on the flame arrestor, which is normal. Especially if I'm doing a lot of WOT. If I were to somehow add some water vapor to that, it would turn milky, just like the OP's picture.

I'm guessing that all is well with his engine, and like Steve said somehow there was just some air that condensed.

Edit: The OP's concern was about a fuel issue, and I think it has nothing to do with fuel.

post-8942-000386800 1319827646_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michigan boarder

I've seen that before on a boat while traveling down the Nile. What ever you do don't start that motor until it is fixed, that is a very very bad symptom of neglect. When is the last time you have performed this routine cleaning? If after 1700 hours of use you noticed it, then it is a normal slow buildup of crankcase spooge. If on the otherhand it has occurred in the last two weeks, you maybe looking at some jail time or worse.

Pull your dipstick and see how it looks. If it looks the same..."Houston we have a problem".

If the oil is clean I would suspect condensation mixed with some oil created sludge in you PCV valve and a bit of it was sucked in the the screen on the flame arrestor over time. No big deal. Change the PCV valve, clean out the breather hose, and spray the flame arrestor off with brake cleaner and your good to go.

This is very common on BMW's when the car isn't run very long in colder climates. A partially warmed engine that has begun to condensate is shut down and the water vapor collects in the CCV (crank case vent valve) and after time mixes with oil and builds up a sludge that looks just like what you have in your pic. It drains into the dipstick tube and you notice it when you pull out the dipstick to check the oil in the winter. A owner who recognizes that on their dipstick like myself freaks out and immediately changes the oil only to find the pan is full of nice clean half used synthetic oil. Whew....what now. Atfer digging around on the BMW forums I learned about the CCV valve issues. Changed it and all is well - BMW even now sells a cold weather CCV that is insulated and prevents condensation from building up on short trips in the cold weather.

Anyhow - check you oil and get back to us. I'm betting with 1700 hours the old girl has just has seen a bit of condensation and puked a little bit of built up sludge. Just be sure your oil is OK before putting her back on the water.

Pull your dipstick and see how it looks. If it looks the same..."Houston we have a problem".

If the oil is clean I would suspect condensation mixed with some oil created sludge in you PCV valve and a bit of it was sucked in the the screen on the flame arrestor over time. No big deal. Change the PCV valve, clean out the breather hose, and spray the flame arrestor off with brake cleaner and your good to go.

This is very common on BMW's when the car isn't run very long in colder climates. A partially warmed engine that has begun to condensate is shut down and the water vapor collects in the CCV (crank case vent valve) and after time mixes with oil and builds up a sludge that looks just like what you have in your pic. It drains into the dipstick tube and you notice it when you pull out the dipstick to check the oil in the winter. A owner who recognizes that on their dipstick like myself freaks out and immediately changes the oil only to find the pan is full of nice clean half used synthetic oil. Whew....what now. Atfer digging around on the BMW forums I learned about the CCV valve issues. Changed it and all is well - BMW even now sells a cold weather CCV that is insulated and prevents condensation from building up on short trips in the cold weather.

Anyhow - check you oil and get back to us. I'm betting with 1700 hours the old girl has just has seen a bit of condensation and puked a little bit of built up sludge. Just be sure your oil is OK before putting her back on the water.

What year did they start putting PCV valves in the engines? Pretty sure my 99

Just has hoses without valves, but can't pull the connector/(that looks like a plastic PCV) out of valve cover without removing fuel injector rails

What year did they start putting PCV valves in the engines? Pretty sure my 99

Just has hoses without valves, but can't pull the connector/(that looks like a plastic PCV) out of valve cover without removing fuel injector rails

I would sure think your 99 has them. My 87' does....

IMAG0609.jpg

There is a plastic angled connecter between the vent hose and the valve cover under the fuel rail, but no PCV valve

Are you sure there's no valve inside the valve cover? My pic is with the PVC valve pulled out of the valve cover "fitting". When it's installed, it hard to even see the valve at all.

Are you sure there's no valve inside the valve cover? My pic is with the PVC valve pulled out of the valve cover "fitting". When it's installed, it hard to even see the valve at all.

I've had mine apart. Pretty sure there's no pcv valve on mine either. Just a breather port with plastic fitting.

I have seen cars do the same thing. Almost always on vehicles that take a lot of short trips. If the oil looks fine most likely just water vapor and I wouldn't worry to much.

Also, that is not the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system, it is the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. Two totally different systems. I don't think boats come equipped with EGR systems usually. There wouldn't be a need because the engines run cool enough that NOx wouldn't be a concern. Someone was mixing the two up in and earlier post.

Edited by Ruffdog

I have seen cars do the same thing. Almost always on vehicles that take a lot of short trips. If the oil looks fine most likely just water vapor and I wouldn't worry to much.

Also, that is not the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system, it is the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. Two totally different systems. I don't think boats come equipped with EGR systems usually. There wouldn't be a need because the engines run cool enough that NOx wouldn't be a concern. Someone was mixing the two up in and earlier post.

That would have been me. Can you describe the differences in function since they "look" to do the same thing?

That would have been me. Can you describe the differences in function since they "look" to do the same thing?

EGR is "Exhaust gas Recirculation" and is used to re burn exhaust gases and improved emissions. Specifically NOx (Nitrogen Oxide) like Ruff said. This system takes gases from the exhaust manifold and injects them back into the intake.

PCV is "Positive Crankcase Ventilation" and is simply used to route pressure from the crankcase back into the intake. This pressure and these gases are typically caused by blow by.

The difference is the source of the gases that are being re burnt. In the ERG system the gases have already exited the engine's head and are captured from the exhaust system. The PCV system is capturing it's gases from the crankcase (inside the engine).

EGR is "Exhaust gas Recirculation" and is used to re burn exhaust gases and improved emissions. Specifically NOx (Nitrogen Oxide) like Ruff said. This system takes gases from the exhaust manifold and injects them back into the intake.

PCV is "Positive Crankcase Ventilation" and is simply used to route pressure from the crankcase back into the intake. This pressure and these gases are typically caused by blow by.

The difference is the source of the gases that are being re burnt. In the ERG system the gases have already exited the engine's head and are captured from the exhaust system. The PCV system is capturing it's gases from the crankcase (inside the engine).

So could you have both? what is on modern cars?

So could you have both? what is on modern cars?

Yep. Most all have both systems as well as other emissions related crap.

Heck my 3 series even has a "smog pump" that runs for 60 seconds on a cold start. It pumps air into the exhaust manifold when the car is cold to improve the operation of a cold catalytic converter so I'm not polluting too much for that first 60 seconds. LOL.gif When it died the car threw a CEL so I had to rebuild the stupid thing to clear the code even though it has not impact on how the car operates.