Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow Vehicle

Rover1

Lent out our tow vehicle to some great friends and they totaled the Land Rover. Everyone is fine and we are looking for a new tow vehicle. I am smitten with the Mercedes Benz GLK350 towing capacity is 3500#s, we have a 09 VLX and only tow about 5 miles to the lake...2 times a month max. Would anyone risk this? I have seen minivans tow malibu boats before. We are looking at the Q7 by Audi and the XC90 by Volvo as well, but I like the Benz much more and the price point is lower. Would love to get your take...thanks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jetskipro550

• martinarcher

• Bozboat

• Rover1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first boat was a 79 Charger, mini day-cruiser with a 454. I'm guessing it weighed at least 3500lbs and we'd tow it with a 4-cylinder Ford Ranger about 3 miles to the ramp a couple times a week. I'm pretty sure if you're only going 5 miles a couple times a year, you'll be ok with the 3500lb capacity.

Just my opinion and not an official recommendation by any means...

The VLX by itself weighs 3500...plus ~ 1000 pounds for the trailer...plus fuel and gear... My guess would be that by the time you're rolling towards the lake you're pulling ~ 5000 #'s.

If you ever did have a problem (ie; couldn't stop that load and rear-ended someone) your insurance company could deny coverage because you're over the limit. No way I would chance it but the decision is obviously yours to make. Choose well...

Edited by NorCaliBu

Think about this for a minute. A Malibu towed by a Mercedes is a pretty conspicious package. A package that suggests that you have the wealth to chose any tow vehicle you want, but the one you picked is overloaded by at least a ton. Something happens and you can't stop in time or lose control in an evasive action, or maybe some kid pops out of nowhere on his bike. Someone gets hurt or killed. As this scenario is a plaintiff's lawyer's dream case, think about how well your justification will sound to a jury, and while your thinking about that , re-read NorCaliBu's point above. Also consider that your post above could easily be Plaintiff's Exhibit One at your trial.

That's my take.

Think about this for a minute. A Malibu towed by a Mercedes is a pretty conspicious package. A package that suggests that you have the wealth to chose any tow vehicle you want, but the one you picked is overloaded by at least a ton. Something happens and you can't stop in time or lose control in an evasive action, or maybe some kid pops out of nowhere on his bike. Someone gets hurt or killed. As this scenario is a plaintiff's lawyer's dream case, think about how well your justification will sound to a jury, and while your thinking about that , re-read NorCaliBu's point above. Also consider that your post above could easily be Plaintiff's Exhibit One at your trial.

That's my take.

:plus1: I believe the Audi has a 5000# towing capacity.

As you stated in the open, accidents do happen....

Thanks for the input, we have a very short season in MN and my travel stops the boating. First year we put on about 60 hours, last year a dismal 20. Will look further at the Audi, Volvo. Any other recommended tow SUV's? Not a big GM fan....

with tow SUV's you could go with any mid to full size SUV with a good tow package.

explorer

expedition

durango

grand Cherokee

liberty

bmw x5 (i'm not sure of the tow capacity on this one)

or another rover as long as it isn't an LR2

the list can go on and on.

Just one thing to.

You may not like GM, but almost all boats are powered by a marinized Ford or GM motor.

(edit: i am not trying to cause a fight about you not liking gm as i tend to always sway to other brands, just making a note)

Edited by jeepdude2

The VLX by itself weighs 3500...plus ~ 1000 pounds for the trailer...plus fuel and gear... My guess would be that by the time you're rolling towards the lake you're pulling ~ 5000 #'s.

If you ever did have a problem (ie; couldn't stop that load and rear-ended someone) your insurance company could deny coverage because you're over the limit. No way I would chance it but the decision is obviously yours to make. Choose well...

Insurance covers being negligent and/or stupid. I had a car stolen few years ago cause I left the keys in the ignition, engine running, door open while I ran inside.

People always throw out the 'you may be denied' but I've yet to hear from someone whose claim was actually denied cause they were overweight....plus in this society you can just sue the car manufacture :lol:

*Think Mastercraft X-45 running over the two girls at Oroville few years ago :crazy:

Edited by jetskipro550

Insurance covers being negligent and/or stupid. I had a car stolen few years ago cause I left the keys in the ignition, engine running, door open while I ran inside.

People always throw out the 'you may be denied' but I've yet to hear from someone whose claim was actually denied cause they were overweight....plus in this society you can just sue the car manufacture :lol:

*Think Mastercraft X-45 running over the two girls at Oroville few years ago :crazy:

I know of some in aviation, but I thik the isurance companies assume people will be stupid in their cars. however if you are over loaded and in an acciddent youcan expect the plantifs lawyer to use that against you. especially if you can afford any tow vehicle you want. With the OP only towing a shrot distance a couple times a month I dont see any reason to go overboard on a full size American SUV :chevy: or a 3/4 ton truck with a diesel :drool: However having a tow limit that is close enough for plausable deniability would be welcom.

I am thinking about sueing you just on principle. The thought of being in an accident with you and your over capacity vehicle has caused me mental anguish and I am going to seek damages. You'll be receiving a pm from my lawyer soon :biggrin:

I tow with an under rated vehicle. Your situation is just like mine, so I say go for it. I have already taken my tounge lashing from the crew about this, but if anyone feels the need to do it again you're more than welcome to do so. I have thick skin.

I agree that the odds are that you can get away with towing a large boat with a smaller tow vehicle. So if you are a "the glass is half full" person by all means by the car, overload it and be happy. Its a personal decision that depends on where you are in life and how much you have to lose. But if you are at a point where you are buying lots of insurance, incorporating your businesses and dealing with family limited partnerships to protect your hard earned assets from being taken from you, then maybe you might ask yourself why you would load your vehicle to 140% of its capacity and head on out down the road.

Problems with liability insurance and liability in general are relative to the amount of damage involved. An accident, property damage only and an maybe some hospital bills, none of this comes up. Move the ball out to the goal line and you can start to see where the problems will arise. The amount of insurance defense effort is proportional to the amount at risk. Before an insurance company writes a seven digit check, they will turn over more leaves than they do when paying a smaller claim. If you are unlucky and end up in a wrongful death case, expect both sides to turn over all of the leaves. That maybe the only time that you have to explain.

I am thinking about sueing you just on principle. The thought of being in an accident with you and your over capacity vehicle has caused me mental anguish and I am going to seek damages. You'll be receiving a pm from my lawyer soon :biggrin:

I tow with an under rated vehicle. Your situation is just like mine, so I say go for it. I have already taken my tounge lashing from the crew about this, but if anyone feels the need to do it again you're more than welcome to do so. I have thick skin.

I wonder how many people who worry about under rated tow vehicles, over load their boats with excess ballast :whistle:

A VLX is more around 3800 lbs dry... so it makes the situation worse..

On other towing forums there are claims being denied after analysis reveals that the driver was driving in an unsafe manner i.e. overloaded. It's true while prevalent the chance of it rearing its ugly head isn't worth it.

makes no sense whatsoever to buy an underrated vehicle....and that being your plan for your primary tower....

What happens when you have to tow to a dealer for something, in the rain, in traffic, on slick oily roads? or you want to particpate in Wake the World (shameless plug...) and you need to tow to a different lake?

If you are all about the Benz... look at their 550 SUVs. straight boss. Much more pricey than the 350s, but certainly more than adequte for towing a Malibu. Consider a used 550 if you are hell bent on the Benz.

Seems like you got the cart before the horse in your thought process in getting a new vehicle. Determine the requirements you need out of the vehicle first, then apply your budget, THEN you consider the different options.

Oh my gosh! Don't even bring that up...it makes me sick, :vomit: not only that someone ran over two girls with their boat, but on top of that, they actually tried to blame mastercraft for their stupidity and being irresponsible... i don't understand what is wrong with these type of people, but it makes me want to do this to them! :bash:

The Q7 is a better vehicle all around. Look at any SUV made by mercedes that is > 7 years old and you'll see why. They fall apart after a while.

I'd definitely get a vehicle rated appropriately. hell, my F-150 was rated fine for towing my boat, but I upgraded just because I felt unsure of its abilities, depsite its rating whenever I towed with it.

A VLX is more around 3800 lbs dry... so it makes the situation worse..

On other towing forums there are claims being denied after analysis reveals that the driver was driving in an unsafe manner i.e. overloaded. It's true while prevalent the chance of it rearing its ugly head isn't worth it.

Scope of insurance coverage is governed by state-by-state laws. An internet forum with people from all over the country cannot give accurate advice to the OP as to when or if his insurance carrier could or would deny coverage based on overloading. By definition, anything being operated in an unsafe manner is negligent, whether that be not paying attention and rear-ending someone or overloading. When was the last time someone rear-ended someone and their carrier said they were denying coverage because they were negligent? That's what it's for. However, knowingly putting on the road a dangerous instrumentality (construed by many states to be cars) where the operator is willfully exceeding the limits of his vehicle is a serious problem. Personally, I find it offensive that so many people are so blase' about it. Regardless of the law, regardless of coverage, you're endangering other people. I don't do that to other people and it frankly ticks me off that so many on here don't reciprocate.

Sooo why not buy a designated tow rig. I bet you could get a mid 90's suburban with a gazillion miles for pretty cheap... and you could leave it all hooked up all summer.

Benefits would be having your Mercedes, no tow issues, and if it gets stolen or dinged, so what...

Edited by Shine

The GLK is nice, but I wouldn't tow with it. (I tow my 01 SSLXi all over the place with a 2001 Pathfinder (5K limit)). We have friends with a GLK & I've ridden in it many times.

I'm in the market for a new tow vehicle. The Audi, BWM & Volvo can pretty easily tow it > 6K capacities. They are also about 1.5 - 2x the cost of the GLK.

FWIW - my next tow vehicle will be the Durango.

The GLK is nice, but I wouldn't tow with it. (I tow my 01 SSLXi all over the place with a 2001 Pathfinder (5K limit)). We have friends with a GLK & I've ridden in it many times.

I'm in the market for a new tow vehicle. The Audi, BWM & Volvo can pretty easily tow it > 6K capacities. They are also about 1.5 - 2x the cost of the GLK.

FWIW - my next tow vehicle will be the Durango.

I know a member that has one and pulls his VLX very well.