Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing water from V-drive water lines

MalibuCruse

I've removed the hoses from the inlet and the outlet on the V-drive and ran an air hose for about a half an hour to remove water. The manual it says to remove the square headed plugs on the front (top) and the rear (top) as they are the drain plugs for the fresh water section of the v-drive. The paint is really thick and I've tried to break it free with an open ended wrench but to no avail. Is there an actual square ended wrench for these types of drain plugs? These puppies won't budge.

I've removed the hoses from the inlet and the outlet on the V-drive and ran an air hose for about a half an hour to remove water.

You're good.

Trust me.

Thanks. I thought that might work. But I do want to know if anyone has had any problems getting those pesky plugs unscrewed?

They can be really difficult since both the plug and body are cast iron. We just made a square end wrench (flat bar steel cut with a plasma cuter) to fit that plug for the ones that play hard to get...

Removing the hoses is more than adequate, usually removing the drain plug is easier than the hose but one or the other works so your all good.

-Paul

Once you finally do get those plugs out...it will always be easier to remove them than to get those hoses off.

I once opened the top water jacket on the V-Drive and found it is a rather small chamber and does not hold much water, but ya still need to get that little bit out of there.

I'm sure by removing those hoses you have drained it adequately.

The plugs once removed and reinstalled with teflon tape will in the future be easy to remove. There is no need to torque them much when you re-install them either.

BTW, a 3/8 inch open end wrench fits the square plugs on mine.

Beau

I had tried the 3/8 open end wrench (craftsman) but everytime I would try to turn the wrench, I could feel the resistance and almost feel the metal (wrench) flexing to the point that if I were to go any further I would round the square end of the plug. Kinda wish they would have put a 6-point allen plug/bolt in there...I have sockets for that!

Once the hose is removed, could you use a shop vac to suck out the water from the vdrive.

Put the vac hose on one end and your hand on the other end to get some suction?

I have done that on my buddys Sanger, works great!! I did not have any luck with taking the plugs out, The hose is a pain but at least it came off...

disclaimer: I am not anywhere close to my boat right now but to go look......

Don't the hoses pass through the top of the v-drive? And isn't the plug lower than the hoses? If my memory serves me (probably doesn't) you need to pull both the plugs and the hoses?

I also remember never getting any water out of the hoses but some out of the plug.

I have done that on my buddys Sanger, works great!! I did not have any luck with taking the plugs out, The hose is a pain but at least it came off...

I would rather pull the hoses that have to muck up the paint with a wrench on the bolts to drain.

What makes the hose so difficult to come off?

I would rather pull the hoses that have to muck up the paint with a wrench on the bolts to drain.

What makes the hose so difficult to come off?

They can be stuck on pretty darn good. Loosen the hose clamp and use silicone spray between the hose and the fitting. Works well. Avoid petroleum based lubes and use silicone spray.

The first time I pulled my plugs it was a PITA. I think I wound up using a pipe wrench. Yes it scarred the plug all up, but I replaced them with some handsome brass plugs.

I removed the hose on mine last year, and this year removed the hose + then the plugs. After I pulled the plugs some more water came out. YRMV.

I rather use a pipe wrench next time. IS it 3/8?

I removed the hose on mine last year, and this year removed the hose + then the plugs. After I pulled the plugs some more water came out. YRMV.

I rather use a pipe wrench next time. IS it 3/8?

A 3/8 open end fits my plugs.

Mine came with a box end and a tap of a hammer. Dynamic blows are better than a static load. And by hammer, I mean the other end of a 1" box end swung rather aggressively...since it was sitting there :P

Well, the boat is in storage now. It will be in a climate controlled building set at 60 degrees. There's still that chance that the heater could go out, that is why I still drained all of the water and still added RV antifreeze. I put dryer sheets in the exhaust ports and throughout the boat because I read somewhere on this forum about how mice do not like the taste or smell of the fabric softener. We'll see how it goes in the spring time. Hopefull when I uncover it, the boat will smell spring fresh!!!

disclaimer: I am not anywhere close to my boat right now but to go look......

Don't the hoses pass through the top of the v-drive? And isn't the plug lower than the hoses? If my memory serves me (probably doesn't) you need to pull both the plugs and the hoses?

I also remember never getting any water out of the hoses but some out of the plug.

on yours, yes. I think 05s have the walther units. On 06s and later with ski-vees, the hose is at the bottom and letting the water out of the hose gets all but a tablespoon or two (not enough to worry about).

Mine also doesn't have enough room between the v-drive and fuel tank to get any type of tool in there. I pulled the hoses and let it drain. I then put a 12v inflator on one end and it pushed a decent amount of additional water out of it.