Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

engine tempetarure heating to 195 sometimes...

Gabrielwakesetter

Hi,

I have been experiencing temperature "issues" since I got my wakesetter. when idle, the temperature in my maliview seems ok. it does not fluctuates much (156F to 172F). And it seems like the thermostat is opening and closing ok. HOWEVER when wakeboarding, when the rider goes down and I stop the engine to pick him up, the temperature goes up to 195F. making my heart beat faster than I would like and giving me more adrenaline rush than trying a raley on a small wake !!!!!

I have talked to a couple of guys down here in Argentina and apparently they all have a temperature fluctuation, HOWEVER a new Malibu RIDE just arrived and it does not. So, I'm about to replace the raw pump. I already replaced the impeller without any significant change in temperature. It seems to me that the engine at low revs can not cool the engine down. IS THAT NORMAL??? I have a monson 340 2010 . Have you guys experienced something like this before?!?!?!?

any help will be appreciated, specially because it cost me a lot to bring spare parts here to Argentina and I want to make sure I bring the "solution"... Thank you in advance, G

Are you boating in fresh water? 195F is fairly normal for a warmed up gasoline engine at idle. You see the temperature rise because the coolant water is just absorbing more heat from the engine because it's passing through at a slower pace at idle.

Gabe, if think as you get a few more responses you will find that this is a normal condition IME. Same thing happens to me when surfing. The block and cylinders are retaining the heat generated from the run and then when you go to idle speed the water pump slows and the water in the block sits in the block longer than it would while underway creating the temperature increase. If you are seeing the temperature remain at 195F longer than about 30 seconds or so there might be an issue. Before you do anything I would check to see that there isn't any obstructions in/on the trans cooler screen which is a very common cooling problem point. I have found grass, plastic bottle top pieces, bark pretty much everything but a dead hooker in there! Hope this helps.

You said you changed the impeller, what shape was the old one in? And did you check the tranny cooler as mentioned above? I have to disagree that this is normal, I've never seen over 170 on mine. FWIW, I don't think you're doing any damage as these motors in the auto world run around 210.

Edited by Ndawg12

consider spinning up to 1200 rpm when you see those temps that make you uncomfortable.

the engine is making lots of heat while pushing a big wake then when brought to idle you don't have as much cooling water as you would like to keep it cool.

i'll bet that if you return to pick up your rider then rev a bit (60 seconds?) in neutral you will pull enough of that excess heat off the engine to allow you to relax a bit.

2004 vlx, my temperature does not fluctuate, I had to replace my water pump at around 650 hours because it would not prime at idle. I ride in a muddy river so the water is abrasive to the water pump.

my one 2011 vlx never goes over 160-165 with full ballast ...when i turn off and on again it will go 170-175 but cools down in a few second when i accelerate..

my o8 was the same . 195 seems high to me...

consider spinning up to 1200 rpm when you see those temps that make you uncomfortable.

the engine is making lots of heat while pushing a big wake then when brought to idle you don't have as much cooling water as you would like to keep it cool.

i'll bet that if you return to pick up your rider then rev a bit (60 seconds?) in neutral you will pull enough of that excess heat off the engine to allow you to relax a bit.

the 2011 dont have neutral to rev it ..they can be reved without puting a gear in ..no button to keep pressed.

Yea, heat soak making it to 195 seems like a lot to me too. 180 maybe.

I'd replace the thermostat before I swapped out the water pump. Boil it in a pot of water & see when it opens up? Is it consistent?

Heatercraft used to recommend upgrading to a 175 thermostat whenever they did a heater install (not sure if that is still the case or not). Maybe heat soak with a 175 thermostat would make it to 195 when the engine was stopped?

Are you boating in fresh water? 195F is fairly normal for a warmed up gasoline engine at idle. You see the temperature rise because the coolant water is just absorbing more heat from the engine because it's passing through at a slower pace at idle.

Yes I'm boating in fresh water. I can see that 195 is kinda normal. however the fluctuation is what I don't like and concerns me. does your boat temperature fluctuates?

Hi,

I have been experiencing temperature "issues" since I got my wakesetter. when idle, the temperature in my maliview seems ok. it does not fluctuates much (156F to 172F). And it seems like the thermostat is opening and closing ok. HOWEVER when wakeboarding, when the rider goes down and I stop the engine to pick him up, the temperature goes up to 195F. making my heart beat faster than I would like and giving me more adrenaline rush than trying a raley on a small wake !!!!!

I have talked to a couple of guys down here in Argentina and apparently they all have a temperature fluctuation, HOWEVER a new Malibu RIDE just arrived and it does not. So, I'm about to replace the raw pump. I already replaced the impeller without any significant change in temperature. It seems to me that the engine at low revs can not cool the engine down. IS THAT NORMAL??? I have a monson 340 2010 . Have you guys experienced something like this before?!?!?!?

any help will be appreciated, specially because it cost me a lot to bring spare parts here to Argentina and I want to make sure I bring the "solution"... Thank you in advance, G

The LS3 in our boat has a problem overheating, specially when cold. SO Malibu installed a 12V in line pump. Have not heard other engines having the same problem. 195 will not hurt the engine, as the same engine (monsoon, LS3, etc.) will run in a car/suv at higher temps. but whatever is goin on, wlll not get better only worse...so some diagnosis might be prudent.

if the impellor is not installed correctly, ie gasket, the pump has been known to have problems. Or a sticky thermostat??

Edited by jkendallmsce

Gabe, if think as you get a few more responses you will find that this is a normal condition IME. Same thing happens to me when surfing. The block and cylinders are retaining the heat generated from the run and then when you go to idle speed the water pump slows and the water in the block sits in the block longer than it would while underway creating the temperature increase. If you are seeing the temperature remain at 195F longer than about 30 seconds or so there might be an issue. Before you do anything I would check to see that there isn't any obstructions in/on the trans cooler screen which is a very common cooling problem point. I have found grass, plastic bottle top pieces, bark pretty much everything but a dead hooker in there! Hope this helps.

I don't think my heart would survive seeing the temp going to 200 for more than 10 seconds!!! ;) it usually stays there for 8-10 seconds and starts dropping. I usually move the boat a little and speed up to 1500rpm and slowly starts going down.

It does seem to me that the pump does not create good flow at idle. The pump has 800 hours so it might not be priming as it should at slower rpms.

I don't think my heart would survive seeing the temp going to 200 for more than 10 seconds!!! ;) it usually stays there for 8-10 seconds and starts dropping. I usually move the boat a little and speed up to 1500rpm and slowly starts going down.

It does seem to me that the pump does not create good flow at idle. The pump has 800 hours so it might not be priming as it should at slower rpms.

Have you replaced the impeller gasket? I had one that didn't seal as well as it should and I had symptoms similar to yours.

mine and many others on here spike under the same conditions...been discussed on here several times... as long as when you fire it back up, that temp goes back down into the 160s, quickly, like within 20 seconds or so, you are fine. Completely normal.

mine and many others on here spike under the same conditions...been discussed on here several times... as long as when you fire it back up, that temp goes back down into the 160s, quickly, like within 20 seconds or so, you are fine. Completely normal.

OK, the saga is going to the next chapter. engine temp now went to the roof...got a red screen in my maliview. water temp....stop it. took the raw water pump apart. everything ok so I change the impeller and put it back on. no problem again...used the boat another week and this time I was going 4000 rpm coming abck home and temp was going up and down (usually it was when picking up wakeboarder, but now was going home)

AND it got to 189 and going down and up again until I did smell something. stoped the engine and the engine was emanating vapor...stoped. it, towed back to the shore. Next day I take apart both pumps and t-stat and everything "seems" to work fine...

I'm really worried now. how can an engine at 4000rpms would over heat? (if the pump is worn out -900 hours- but now broken)

How can the exhaust got so hot that the paint was coming off...if the t-stat would not work it "should" send all the water back tot eh exhaust right?

How can there be no water in the system and that is why the temp gauge -actually maliview- would not measure the temp going to the roof

Nevertheless, if some of you know a place with good prices to buy spare parts (pumps) please let me know. Gracias

Edited by Gabrielwakesetter

OK, the saga is going to the next chapter. engine temp now went to the roof...got a red screen in my maliview. water temp....stop it. took the raw water pump apart. everything ok so I change the impeller and put it back on. no problem again...used the boat another week and this time I was going 4000 rpm coming abck home and temp was going up and down (usually it was when picking up wakeboarder, but now was going home)

AND it got to 189 and going down and up again until I did smell something. stoped the engine and the engine was emanating vapor...stoped. it, towed back to the shore. Next day I take apart both pumps and t-stat and everything "seems" to work fine...

I'm really worried now. how can an engine at 4000rpms would over heat? (if the pump is worn out -900 hours- but now broken)

How can the exhaust got so hot that the paint was coming off...if the t-stat would not work it "should" send all the water back tot eh exhaust right?

How can there be no water in the system and that is why the temp gauge -actually maliview- would not measure the temp going to the roof

Nevertheless, if some of you know a place with good prices to buy spare parts (pumps) please let me know. Gracias

Not sure the year of boat, which engine, etc, but maybe a chat with Malibu would shed some light. Here is there # in TN 865 458 5478

Here is probably the best place to order parts for your boat: http://www.skidim.com/

They know indboards and will ship anywhere. good luck

forgive me if you have verified this already.....but have you looked at the inlet to the transmission cooler to make sure there is no sea weed or other debris blocking the water flow. Also, disconnect both ends of the hose between the raw water pump and transmission cooler and dump it out. I have experience twice now where sea weed was sucked past the raw water pump and collected inside this hose leading to the tranny cooler. As speed increased the increased water flow forced the sea weed up against the tranny cooler reducing the water flow through the engine causing engine temp to fluctate and/or spike.

• Like 1

You said you changed the impeller, what shape was the old one in? And did you check the tranny cooler as mentioned above? I have to disagree that this is normal, I've never seen over 170 on mine. FWIW, I don't think you're doing any damage as these motors in the auto world run around 210.

forgive me if you have verified this already.....but have you looked at the inlet to the transmission cooler to make sure there is no sea weed or other debris blocking the water flow. Also, disconnect both ends of the hose between the raw water pump and transmission cooler and dump it out. I have experience twice now where sea weed was sucked past the raw water pump and collected inside this hose leading to the tranny cooler. As speed increased the increased water flow forced the sea weed up against the tranny cooler reducing the water flow through the engine causing engine temp to fluctate and/or spike.

I'm wondering how much he's reading as this has been mentioned several times, but he hasn't mentioned checking it yet, but is ready to buy parts :crazy:

I'm wondering how much he's reading as this has been mentioned several times, but he hasn't mentioned checking it yet, but is ready to buy parts :crazy:

Yes, I did check that when you guys suggested. Actually yesterday I disconnected the hose for a second and the raw pump was throwing water like crazy...I will check the hose and the conducts again. but unless the problem is because several things are not working as it should (i.e. debris, worn out pump, worn out t-stat) it seems a bit too extreme and random to me. But again, I don't have much experience with it.

As for the parts, remember that I'm in Argentina and the dealer here do not have any spare parts. So, if you want some, have to ship it over here and it usually takes 6 weeks to clear customs... so have spare parts ordered in advance is important if I dont want to miss a big part of our summer... ;) the pump has 900 hours. seems like I should replace it in the near future anyway...shouldn't I?

As for the boat, is a wakesetter 2010 with a monsoon 350 900 hours on it...

Yes, I did check that when you guys suggested. Actually yesterday I disconnected the hose for a second and the raw pump was throwing water like crazy...I will check the hose and the conducts again. but unless the problem is because several things are not working as it should (i.e. debris, worn out pump, worn out t-stat) it seems a bit too extreme and random to me. But again, I don't have much experience with it.

As for the parts, remember that I'm in Argentina and the dealer here do not have any spare parts. So, if you want some, have to ship it over here and it usually takes 6 weeks to clear customs... so have spare parts ordered in advance is important if I dont want to miss a big part of our summer... ;) the pump has 900 hours. seems like I should replace it in the near future anyway...shouldn't I?

So you've seen the inside of the tranny cooler and made sure the "honeycomb" jackets are free of debris?

first of all, engine needs to be OFF. Second of all, you don't check at the pump, you check at the transmission cooler. third, there are 2 pumps. One is a circulation pump, the other is the raw water pump. Just because there is 900 hours it doesn't mean you need to change the pump, but just out of curiosity, how many times have you changed the impeller? It appears people have brought up gaskets, but not impellers. I know you mentioned changing it, but when?

Edited by 85 Barefoot

195 seems hot.

I would look everywhere that can be restricting flow, including the thermostat and housing.

I don't think I have ever been above 170F, and that was in 95F water last summer.

So you've seen the inside of the tranny cooler and made sure the "honeycomb" jackets are free of debris?

This is a picture of the inside of the transmission cooler, it should be round not bent

IMG_5220.jpg

Here is a picture of the impeller pieces that were clogging it up

IMG_5221.jpg

That is one of the most amazing things I've read in a while. 900 hours on a 2010.....dang I could only do that if I rode for a living. Thumbup.gif