Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

collinite 925

I bought a bottle online and it is more of a gel type of consistency than an actual liquid. Is this right???

depends on the temperature. It will seperate badly in high temps and get clumpy in cold. Leave it at room temperature for 24 hours and it will be consistent after a shake. It is thicker than, say, water, but more runny than gel.

depends on the temperature. It will seperate badly in high temps and get clumpy in cold. Leave it at room temperature for 24 hours and it will be consistent after a shake. It is thicker than, say, water, but more runny than gel.

I used this stuff this weekend at it was my first expereince.

All I can say is wow- it is awesome. I brealy even used an 1/8 of the bottle to do my whole vlx

Right on both accounts! I love the stuff!

Are you guys doing a sectional application by hand, or do you use a buffer/polisher? Roughly how long to get through the whole exterior?

I do the wax by hand. The only thing I use the random orbital polisher for is the cleaner. I apply the #920 fiberglass boat cleaner with the polisher and wax by hand. To wax the boat by hand it's taken me a couple of hours. That includes taping the rub rail so I don't get it all messed up, etc.

Do you guy's think it would do anything for medium oxidation?

Thanks much,

Steve B.

I think you would have better luck using something else for the oxidation prior to using the 925. There are some light cutting compounds out there that would be good for that, finished with the collites 925.

I think you would have better luck using something else for the oxidation prior to using the 925. There are some light cutting compounds out there that would be good for that, finished with the collites 925.

Agreed.

Search for oxidation removal on this site and you'll probably get interesting results. There are lots of formulas for that -- but bottom line you can't get rid of oxidation by waxing over it. You need a polish -- and preferably a rotary buffer (and sometimes wetsand). The best part about gel coat is you can always make it look factory new with elbow grease. Get it shiny new, then wax it to protect it and it will look even better.

Hey steve keep in mind that you'll need a pad cleaning tool if you're using a wool pad or a couple additional foam pads when using the compound as you'll be loading up that pad. Boat should turn out great. Good luck.

Edited by Bobby Light

I do the wax by hand. The only thing I use the random orbital polisher for is the cleaner. I apply the #920 fiberglass boat cleaner with the polisher and wax by hand. To wax the boat by hand it's taken me a couple of hours. That includes taping the rub rail so I don't get it all messed up, etc.

I wax by hand as well. Don't worry about the rub rail. You can wax it with the rest of the boat and it will look fine. Collinite's doesn't stain plastic or rubber at all like some other waxes do. I wax my rubrail on purpose. Thumbup.gif

I had some light oxidation on the back corners and the cleaner shined it up.

I also had great results at removing light to medium oxidation with 920 using a rotary buffer and followed up with 925 by hand.

Edited by MALI-MONSTER

I wax by hand as well. Don't worry about the rub rail. You can wax it with the rest of the boat and it will look fine. Collinite's doesn't stain plastic or rubber at all like some other waxes do. I wax my rubrail on purpose. Thumbup.gif

Good to know. I just assumed it was like other products that really make black rubber look like crap.

Good to know. I just assumed it was like other products that really make black rubber look like crap.

Nope it makes it look better. Thumbup.gif

I remember a long time ago my buddy was waxing his car with NuFinish. I was amazed at how it ruined the look of the black plastic on his car. It stained it an almost white color.

Nufinish yeah what a gimmick. I remember because of that commercial with the car wash my parents bought it. Worked ok as a wax but when it go on rubber or black plastic it made it an almost permeant hazy white!

Do you guy's think it would do anything for medium oxidation?

Thanks much,

Steve B.

I just did the whole starboard side of my Midnight Blue Sportster. It was (say) a medium oxyidization, very cloudy from the southern sun exposure as it sat on the lift. I used a product called Presta Ultra Cutting Creme with a wool buffing pad and it worked absolutely awesome. I read on a sail boat site about this stuff and decided to try it. Buy it...its great.l Apparently it is a 600 grit at first and the more you work it, it becomes up to a 2000. I finished it off with Colinites and it looks BRAND NEW again. Highly recommend it. I wish I had done before and after pics.

I just did the whole starboard side of my Midnight Blue Sportster. It was (say) a medium oxyidization, very cloudy from the southern sun exposure as it sat on the lift. I used a product called Presta Ultra Cutting Creme with a wool buffing pad and it worked absolutely awesome. I read on a sail boat site about this stuff and decided to try it. Buy it...its great.l Apparently it is a 600 grit at first and the more you work it, it becomes up to a 2000. I finished it off with Colinites and it looks BRAND NEW again. Highly recommend it. I wish I had done before and after pics.

Sweet! Thumbup.gif