Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which boats would you choose?

cjohnson8080

If you were a family of only slalom skiers and surfers, and had the ability to have two boats on the dock at your house, which two boats would you choose. In an effort to narrow down the choices, let's keep the model years Pre-2009. Keep in mind, the slalom boat would be towerless and must have some sort of speed control. The surf boat would need to have the ability to plumb the sacs, goofy and regular, to avoid sacs in the cabin. This is not a Malibu boats only thread, although I think you couldn't go wrong with Malibu sitting on both boat lifts.

Thanks in advance for any input.

rlx

247wslsv

I figured yours would be the most common reply on a Malibu forum. What model years and why?

BTW...Couldn't agree more with your signature quote. :thumbup:

Edited by cjohnson8080

Speaking from experience, I currently have a 98 response and 07 247.

The decision on response was simple, unless you need to use the open bow for seating, which isn't very good anyway, a CB response offers a lot more storage and less maintenance. I chose a 98 as that was the first year of the diamond hull and skis the exact same as even a brand new response. So, if at the end of the rope it skis like a newer boat, I got the oldest year possible since I just use it for a slalom tractor. We use stargazer and am very happy with it's functionality and parameters which will allow you to run hot or cold times by just selecting different times, unlike "classic" which would mess with the feel of the pull to do so and it's my understanding that 0 off won't allow that.

As to the 247, it's simply the biggest and baddest. Space is huge, wake potential is huge, and drives great in chop. That said, since I keep the boats in a boathouse, on a rougher day, the 247 is a little big to handle for my wife in and out of the boathouse hence why mine is for sale. If interested, pm me, I have it listed in classifieds.

If I had your money I would buy a new 247 and rlxi both with the blown caddy motors. You can just have your butler keep them topped off while they site at your dock. Problem solved.

If I had your money I would buy a new 247 and rlxi both with the blown caddy motors. You can just have your butler keep them topped off while they site at your dock. Problem solved.

Send me your resume and I'll see what I can do to get you the job.

Perfect you'll need someone that knows how to take care of them and has some mad install skills.

That's it! You were already warned for bashing others for their lack of knowledge....now you say you have better skills than me? You are a menace to this board, and need to get the snot kicked out of you. Unless of course you can hook me up with some of those Exile XM8.79856287952545858525552 tower speakers?

I can't comment on the wake surf part. But for a pure slalom tractor, I would look at a 190 or 197 and a Reponse / LX. Nautique is nice if you can afford it, but I won't buy one.

I'm a fan of the Sanger DX, but not for a 1 trick (slalom) pony.

Speaking from experience, I currently have a 98 response and 07 247.

The decision on response was simple, unless you need to use the open bow for seating, which isn't very good anyway, a CB response offers a lot more storage and less maintenance. I chose a 98 as that was the first year of the diamond hull and skis the exact same as even a brand new response. So, if at the end of the rope it skis like a newer boat, I got the oldest year possible since I just use it for a slalom tractor. We use stargazer and am very happy with it's functionality and parameters which will allow you to run hot or cold times by just selecting different times, unlike "classic" which would mess with the feel of the pull to do so and it's my understanding that 0 off won't allow that.

As to the 247, it's simply the biggest and baddest. Space is huge, wake potential is huge, and drives great in chop. That said, since I keep the boats in a boathouse, on a rougher day, the 247 is a little big to handle for my wife in and out of the boathouse hence why mine is for sale. If interested, pm me, I have it listed in classifieds.

You are very fortunate to have that setup...congrats. It seems to me the likely choices for the Surf boat would be a 247 or possibly an ENZO. The ski boat choice opens a lot of possiblities. I've owned a '96 Echelon, which was great, but older than what I'm thinking about. I had an '06 RLXI with the HH which was a great multisport boat. But I also had some great runs behind a number of Nautiques and Mastercrafts. I really liked the 2005 Nautique 196 a buddy of mine had.

I would definitely buy 2 Malibu's if Bake's Marine was still the dealer here. Unfortunately, the new Malibu dealer is more focused on selling Cobalt's to the millionaires on Lake Washington. I'm not saying they are not good people, I don't know them personally...it's just not the same as having Bake's and their great crew right down the street. Luckily, we still have Paul to handle any mechanical issues we may have, regardless of what make and model boat we choose. :thumbup:

Has anyone heard of somebody plumping in sacs on the goofy side of a 247?

Edited by cjohnson8080

If switching goofy to regular on the fly is a concern at all, gravity fed ballast is really nice. Just on factory weight our goofy wave is totally acceptable (no sacks whatsoever). Takes a bit more to clean up the regular side, but just one of our crew rides on that side, so we haven't spent too much time on it. Unlike the vride, though, either side is very surfable with just stock ballast (no sacks). More weight = more big, but we like to keep the option to jump back to wakeboarding on the fly, so we've avoided filling sacks. Interestingly, the wave seems to be better with some non-surf-side weight, which makes rider changes even faster.

I cannot comment much on the skiing.

Wake9.com could get whatever boat they want and they keep going back to their 06 Tige 24Ve. They have it plumbed with a mad system that can switch 1500 pounds in 5 minutes from goofy to regular. They have looked at other models and keep coming back to that boat.

The Enzo is great, but as I understand it (never seen it in action) the goofy wave is far inferior. So in answering the OP's question, the Enzo is not going to switch sides all that well.

I would definitely buy 2 Malibu's if Bake's Marine was still the dealer here. Unfortunately, the new Malibu dealer is more focused on selling Cobalt's to the millionaires on Lake Washington. I'm not saying they are not good people, I don't know them personally...it's just not the same as having Bake's and their great crew right down the street. Luckily, we still have Paul to handle any mechanical issues we may have, regardless of what make and model boat we choose. :thumbup:

Has anyone heard of somebody plumping in sacs on the goofy side of a 247?

pretty sure wheelhouse has it

You are very fortunate to have that setup...congrats. It seems to me the likely choices for the Surf boat would be a 247 or possibly an ENZO. The ski boat choice opens a lot of possiblities. I've owned a '96 Echelon, which was great, but older than what I'm thinking about. I had an '06 RLXI with the HH which was a great multisport boat. But I also had some great runs behind a number of Nautiques and Mastercrafts. I really liked the 2005 Nautique 196 a buddy of mine had.

Drive an Enzo then drive a 247. Even if you're not goofy you'll pick the 247. As for the ski boat, the hull changed in 98, like I said earlier. If you're wanting newer, great, but it won't ski any better. We ski behind a 2005 196 some. Tracks great but feels very slow compared to my response.

I cannot comment much on the skiing.

Wake9.com could get whatever boat they want and they keep going back to their 06 Tige 24Ve. They have it plumbed with a mad system that can switch 1500 pounds in 5 minutes from goofy to regular. They have looked at other models and keep coming back to that boat.

The Enzo is great, but as I understand it (never seen it in action) the goofy wave is far inferior. So in answering the OP's question, the Enzo is not going to switch sides all that well.

Thanks for the info....I just checked out the video of that "regular to goofy" pump system. That is what I'm looking for! Why wouldn't you be able to do that in a Malibu?

Thanks for the info....I just checked out the video of that "regular to goofy" pump system. That is what I'm looking for! Why wouldn't you be able to do that in a Malibu?

There is no reason at all you could not do that in a Malibu. I only surf on the port side. So I just plumbed in my big surf sac on that side. All that I would have to do is plumb in the starboard side the same way, and then a pump that goes between the two. Easy as pie.

The garbage can and cooler are in the way on the starboard side, so I think you could only get a big sack that fills the compartment. A custom sack could probably do 850 or 900 if you filled that compartment all the way full instead of a big sack like I have that goes under the seats and is about 1300 pounds. I am confident with that much weight, you would have a very surfable wave, probably not world class, but more than enough for us recreational joes who just think we are world class.

Edited by TallRedRider

There is no reason at all you could not do that in a Malibu. I only surf on the port side. So I just plumbed in my big surf sac on that side. All that I would have to do is plumb in the starboard side the same way, and then a pump that goes between the two. Easy as pie.

The garbage can and cooler are in the way on the starboard side, so I think you could only get a big sack that fills the compartment. A custom sack could probably do 850 or 900 if you filled that compartment all the way full instead of a big sack like I have that goes under the seats and is about 1300 pounds. I am confident with that much weight, you would have a very surfable wave, probably not world class, but more than enough for us recreational joes who just think we are world class.

I don't need a garbage can and cooler anyway....you think I could take them out somehow and have similar sacs on both sides?

Oh Yea...I need a world class wave to have any chance at looking like a recreational Joe. :cry:

Edited by cjohnson8080