Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1995 sunsetter fogging

Hello to the crew. I bought a 1995 Sunsetter this summer after owning outboards and I/O's. Like many on this great site, I've dreamed of owning an inboard forever. I guess I'm old school because my son and I are skiers only. My bu only had 341hrs, very clean, and runs great. I have some questions concerning winterization I hope you guys can advise me. I've always fogged my engines spraying directly into the carbs and sprayed foggiing oil into each cylinder, but my Malibu 350 Mag EFI Tournament Ski Manual says to add 2 cycle oil to the vapor separating Tank, shut off fuel supply, and run engine until it smokes and stops? After reading all the posts on winterization processes and cold storage lists on this site, I didn't find any info specifically to my engine. I read somewhere EFI engines don't like fogging oil in the carbs or cylinders? Is this correct? Also, I do not have a fuel shut off, so how important is this step? Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge on this excellent Malibu forum, Jim

I'll be glad to get the answers to these questions too, ha. I have a 95 SS with the same engine. I bought mine last year. I did not release that valve thing last year. or this year, at least yet. last year I fogged thru the throttle body at idle.

This year I changed plugs at winterizing to give it a little tune up. Pulled the old plugs, sprayed fog oil into each cylinder for about 3 seconds.

Steve B.,

I wish my 95 had EFI. I have a carb and get really irritated because the carb goes dry so fast out here in Arizona. I always have to crank it for a period of time before it starts to fire and by then, the electric choke coil is already opening the plate taking it off of fast idle. After that, it runs perfect.

I am thinking of looking into a crossfire injection setup from the corvette. My friend is an expert on them. It may be big $$ to install, more than I want to spend.

Hello to the crew. I bought a 1995 Sunsetter this summer after owning outboards and I/O's. Like many on this great site, I've dreamed of owning an inboard forever. I guess I'm old school because my son and I are skiers only. My bu only had 341hrs, very clean, and runs great. I have some questions concerning winterization I hope you guys can advise me. I've always fogged my engines spraying directly into the carbs and sprayed foggiing oil into each cylinder, but my Malibu 350 Mag EFI Tournament Ski Manual says to add 2 cycle oil to the vapor separating Tank, shut off fuel supply, and run engine until it smokes and stops? After reading all the posts on winterization processes and cold storage lists on this site, I didn't find any info specifically to my engine. I read somewhere EFI engines don't like fogging oil in the carbs or cylinders? Is this correct? Also, I do not have a fuel shut off, so how important is this step? Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge on this excellent Malibu forum, Jim

The manual says to add a couple drops of oil to coat the fuel system. It also stops the needle & seat from sticking over layup and for the next season and smokes out the throttle body.

That same simple needle & seat is critical to the fuel flow.

Mine stuck a year ago and it ran like it was all fouled up. Cleaned it up and she ran fine.

There is an allen socket that is the fuel cut off located on the assembly.

I still fog a couple shots down the throat and kill it so the valves get some coating on them.

Fogging under the throttle body, shooting into cylinders, will not affect the fuel delivery system IMO I could not let the block sit for months in uncontrolled temperatures & humidity without some sort of efffort in lubricating internally to prevent rust or rings from sticking.

Running through a throttle body or multiport could affect the injectors since it could gum up and not burn off.

The manual says to add a couple drops of oil to coat the fuel system. It also stops the needle & seat from sticking over layup and for the next season and smokes out the throttle body.

That same simple needle & seat is critical to the fuel flow.

Mine stuck a year ago and it ran like it was all fouled up. Cleaned it up and she ran fine.

There is an allen socket that is the fuel cut off located on the assembly.

I still fog a couple shots down the throat and kill it so the valves get some coating on them.

Fogging under the throttle body, shooting into cylinders, will not affect the fuel delivery system IMO I could not let the block sit for months in uncontrolled temperatures & humidity without some sort of efffort in lubricating internally to prevent rust or rings from sticking.

Running through a throttle body or multiport could affect the injectors since it could gum up and not burn off.

Is the allen socket on the vapor seperator thing? I may give the oil and shutoff a try too.

Thanks in advance,

Steve B.

Thanks SFD, I found the allen socket on top of the vapor seperating tank. How does that work? It appears to be screwed in all the way now. Does unscrewing it out shut off the fuel?