Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trying to decide if I should replace my seat skin.

I am trying find out if I need to replace my whole seat skin.

I went by a local upholstery shop today to see if they could take the skin off and just tighten and restitch the seam. They told me it would be a couple hundred $ per seat to do that.

Should I replace the whole seat skin or just have the seam restitched?

post-13065-082182000 1319669283_thumb.jp

post-13065-014685500 1319669298_thumb.jp

post-13065-075038700 1319669309_thumb.jp

post-13065-068167200 1319669316_thumb.jp

I'd keep it clean and protected with 303 and let it ride until it tears (which could be a while if not abused)

It's not hurting anything and by my standards, not unsightly (yet).

I couldn't justify any type of "re-stitching", you'd be taking up more material and it would be tough to get right, and probably wouldn't last if the vinyl is already starting to deteriorate. If you do set in on a project, I'd go with new skins.

The first question the OP needs to answer is whether he wants to fix it because of cosmetic reasons or just to prevent it from getting worse.

Cosmetic = get ahold of Chee and have new skins made and install them yourself, it's pretty easy. However, you'll be able to tell the difference between new old no matter how well you took care of the vinyl. So you might end doing the whole boat depending how anal you are.

Preventative = clean and remove all protectant, let the cushion completely dry, buy a product called VLP from an ACE Hardware store and put a bead down along the piping. Protect with 303.

Edit - to me, restitching isn't an option, seams won't line up in the right position, and if you do get them to lineup then you've pulled the vinyl too tight and it will rip again sooner than later.

Edited by Ndawg12

Thanks guys.

I am really just looking to keep it from getting worse. I know if I replace those 2 the rest will need to be done.

I use both vinyl cleaner and protectant from Boat Bling, so they are well taken care of.

I will look into the VLP from ACE. Does it come in a calk tube?

Ndawg, thanks for the link. I may pick some of this up to help keep my skins from getting worse.

I've cut the ends off 2 ballast bags and joined them together with this stuff to make 1 big bag, it works well. It heats up and sorta melts the vinyl together.