Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Lift for Malibu Sunsetter VLX - Sunstream or Shorestation?

moodys

Trying to get a boat lift for my 2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX NADA says 2,900 lbs it also has a tower and can hold 35 gallons of gas (7 x 35= 245lbs)

I have to get either a vertical lift or hydro lift that does not attach to the dock at all ( putting this in my slip in my neighborhood marina )

I have a really sweet deal I can get on a Sunstream Sunlift but is only rated for 3000 lbs. Does anyone have this model and are exceeding the weight limit on it and how much?

I know it will void the warranty but would assume these are somewhat overbuilt. When I called Sunstream of course they said to go with a higher rated model but would love to hear if anyone is using one with too much weight on it.

I am also looking at shorestation, shoremaster, lakeshore vertical lifts. Anyone have one for sale in Florida????

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by moodys

I have a really sweet deal I can get on a Sunstream Sunlift but is only rated for 3000 lbs. Does anyone have this model and are exceeding the weight limit on it and how much?

I would not buy this lift as you are going to exceed the capacity 100% of the time the boat is on the lift. That is just an unnecessary hazard. The last thing you want is that cable to snap when you or anyone you know is near it. Just imagine if you are wiping it down when the cable goes and your board rack hits you in the head. Bad news. Safety first.

I would recommend a minimum of 4000lb capacity. Shorestation and Hewitt are very reputable and most dealers/technicians will agree that it is safe to go to capacity with those two brands. I have a Sunsetter LXI with tower that is pushing the same weight as your boat. I have is housed on a Shorestation 4000lb lift and have had no issues what so ever.

Edited by msuwaterski

We have our VLX on a 5000# Floe Lift but it was a bit pricey. Shorestation is the most common in our area. Do yourself a favor and get one with a canopy. That's a major thing to keep the boat out of the elements and a major reason we went with a Floe.

IMG-20110506-00050.jpg

Thanks for the quick replys!

MSU - yes i know I should not go over the weight limit. It would be a hydraulic lift though so no cable.

2004VLX - I do not think they will allow a canopy at all with it being a neighborhood marina, maybe I should ask... you never know.

Does anyone have a Sunstream 3000# that they use??

Does anyone know of a good dealer or used shorestation type life in Florida????

Thanks

I would not buy this lift as you are going to exceed the capacity 100% of the time the boat is on the lift. That is just an unnecessary hazard. The last thing you want is that cable to snap when you or anyone you know is near it. Just imagine if you are wiping it down when the cable goes and your board rack hits you in the head. Bad news. Safety first.

I would recommend a minimum of 4000lb capacity. Shorestation and Hewitt are very reputable and most dealers/technicians will agree that it is safe to go to capacity with those two brands. I have a Sunsetter LXI with tower that is pushing the same weight as your boat. I have is housed on a Shorestation 4000lb lift and have had no issues what so ever.

+37

My boat is 2,900 lb dry and went w/ a 4,000lb aluminum Shore Station which are rock solid. Like MB said Hewitt are nice. So are Floes.

I have one of these and love it...Hydromax II 4000 lb.They are made in Michigan.

Hydraulic is the way to go if you can (usually more $)

there is a video on their site .....I added side bunks

The lift operates off 12 volt battery and I chose solar power over an electric trickle charger

http://www.hydromaxii.com/

Guys I know with cable lifts have now got "lift envy" ;)

Edited by Sliderfiii

I have one of these and love it...Hydromax II 4000 lb.They are made in Michigan.

Hydraulic is the way to go if you can (usually more $)

there is a video on their site .....I added side bunks

The lift operates off 12 volt battery and I chose solar power over an electric trickle charger

http://www.hydromaxii.com/

Guys I know with cable lifts have now got "lift envy" ;)

We almost went this way but were afraid of the breakdown of the hoses and rams in the water.

I would also go to a 4000 lb lift. It's not just gas adding weight, but a cooler, 3 or 4 people in it and wiping it down or getting it ready, gear, etc. If it's in a slip I'm assuming that the easiest place to load up or unload it is while it is on the lift. You load up, people don't necessarily jump in but if it's a drop down you'll feel the lift bounce when they step in, especially if you have some big guests or even regular guests that are in a hurry (downpour). Going under capacity would just make me that much more nervous. My lift is a cantilever cable style, rated at 3,600 lbs, and the little Echelon (2,750 lbs) plus gear and people makes it feel like I'm right at the limit.

post-16725-080034500 1319715497_thumb.jp

my lift

post-16725-072759900 1319715649_thumb.jp

the solar box with battery ( the hydraulic fluid is bio)

post-16725-090749900 1319715784_thumb.jp

my brother's lift which is heavier duty with cover

That looks like a sweet set-up. I dig the solar box to keep the battery charged. Thumbup.gif

I would also go to a 4000 lb lift. It's not just gas adding weight, but a cooler, 3 or 4 people in it and wiping it down or getting it ready, gear, etc. If it's in a slip I'm assuming that the easiest place to load up or unload it is while it is on the lift. You load up, people don't necessarily jump in but if it's a drop down you'll feel the lift bounce when they step in, especially if you have some big guests or even regular guests that are in a hurry (downpour). Going under capacity would just make me that much more nervous. My lift is a cantilever cable style, rated at 3,600 lbs, and the little Echelon (2,750 lbs) plus gear and people makes it feel like I'm right at the limit.

Agree....I went for the 4000lb hydromax II over the 3000lb for the reasons you mentioned...I believe my boat is 2300lbs dry so wouldn't take much to reach 3000lbs.....

The speed of the hydro's is really nice. I'm not sure what your backup is though. On my electric hoist I can always use a drill, or go back to the wheel if the winch fails. But if the cable breaks obviously your dead.

The speed of the hydro's is really nice. I'm not sure what your backup is though. On my electric hoist I can always use a drill, or go back to the wheel if the winch fails. But if the cable breaks obviously your dead.

The replacement costs can't be cheap either.

The replacement costs can't be cheap either.

actually fairly simple mechanical system.....the actual hydraulics are fairly standard and easy to find if they fail....I think the mechanism is similar to what is used on a snowplow on a pick up truck.....

The other beauty of the hydraulic is that you can adjust and transport it easy in the water. We strapped my 16ft aluminium boat with 20hp to the bunks and when we lowered the lift it lifts the unit off the bottom of the lake.Straps go under the bunks and attached to each side of the boat ( or across and attached if you have long enough ratchet straps.

Mine was transported this way to my shoreline approx 600 feet in deap water, Then we set it on the bottom using the boat to lift it off the bottom to adjust the legs etc. At the end of the season we used the boat again to shorten legs and add the wheels in order to roll it ashore for the winter .

Here it is ashore to avoid ice....

post-16725-091065200 1320147777_thumb.jp

Edited by Sliderfiii

actually fairly simple mechanical system.....the actual hydraulics are fairly standard and easy to find if they fail....I think the mechanism is similar to what is used on a snowplow on a pick up truck.....

The other beauty of the hydraulic is that you can adjust and transport it easy in the water. We strapped my 16ft aluminium boat with 20hp to the bunks and when we lowered the lift it lifts the unit off the bottom of the lake.Straps go under the bunks and attached to each side of the boat ( or across and attached if you have long enough ratchet straps.

Mine was transported this way to my shoreline approx 600 feet in deap water, Then we set it on the bottom using the boat to lift it off the bottom to adjust the legs etc. At the end of the season we used the boat again to shorten legs and add the wheels in order to roll it ashore for the winter .

Here it is ashore to avoid ice....

post-16725-091065200 1320147777_thumb.jp

I was referring to the pump and lines. I just feel that sitting in the water for months at a time those lines would see some fairly noticeable deterioration.

I was referring to the pump and lines. I just feel that sitting in the water for months at a time those lines would see some fairly noticeable deterioration.

We'll see over time I guess....I am in very soft water so corrosion can be an issue. I sprayed my fittings etc with Fluid Film when I took it out this fall....

http://www.fluid-film.com/

We'll see over time I guess....I am in very soft water so corrosion can be an issue. I sprayed my fittings etc with Fluid Film when I took it out this fall....

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Year that was our concern when buying a lift this spring. We looked at the exact company you posted earlier in the thread. We are very happy with the Floe and the many cool features it has to offer.

my neighour has an RGC cable lift which is nice but he now wishes he had the hydro...

http://www.rgcproducts.com/

nice unit with electric and remote ....

We assembled it and was way more work than assembly of my hydromax II which basically just needed the front and rear crossmembers installed with legs as the unit was too wide to ship..