Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing a 94 Echelon at home

I know there are lots of forums out there that say what to do but I want to make sure I did it right and am not missing anything. This is what I have done to winterize my 1994 Echelon with a 350 Magnum Tournament Ski Motor (MerCruiser), I ran the shower until it was out of water and preformed the next few steps which I found in the operation and maintenance manual that came with the boat.

1. Removed drain plugs (port and stbd) form cylinder block

2. Removed drain plug from transmission cooler

3. Disconnected hoses from bottom of exhaust manifolds (port and stbd)

4. Removed hose from engine circulating pump

5. Removed both hoses from water pump

I was thinking of reconnecting everything and filling it up with antifreeze. Just want to get some opinions on what I should do. I was looking to see if there is an impeller and I cant seem to find one. Do I really have to take off the water pump to change the impeller (If that is where it is).

Any help or opinions would be great! :werule:

I know there are lots of forums out there that say what to do but I want to make sure I did it right and am not missing anything. This is what I have done to winterize my 1994 Echelon with a 350 Magnum Tournament Ski Motor (MerCruiser), I ran the shower until it was out of water and preformed the next few steps which I found in the operation and maintenance manual that came with the boat.

1. Removed drain plugs (port and stbd) form cylinder block

2. Removed drain plug from transmission cooler

3. Disconnected hoses from bottom of exhaust manifolds (port and stbd)

4. Removed hose from engine circulating pump

5. Removed both hoses from water pump

I was thinking of reconnecting everything and filling it up with antifreeze. Just want to get some opinions on what I should do. I was looking to see if there is an impeller and I cant seem to find one. Do I really have to take off the water pump to change the impeller (If that is where it is).

Any help or opinions would be great! :werule:

Looks like you got it all. I don't have a shower so i'm not sure if you would need to blow out the line or not. To answer your question about reconnecting and filling with antifreeze, i would not fill with antifreeze. It is not neccesary since you have drained all of the water, there is nothing to freeze. That being said, it is up to you whether you connect the hoses now or later. i would put the block plugs back in to prevent rust from corroding the threads. As far as the impeller goes, No you do not have to take off the water pump to change the impeller. Follow the raw water intake hose up the starboard side of the engine to the impeller housing. Take off both hoses and the four or five bolts and the whole housing will come off of the pulley. From there you can just push the impeller out. make sure you replace the gaskets and also follow the hose to your trans cooler and remove it. check inside the hose and your trans cooler for old impeller pieces. I have had a "mechanic" change my impeller twice in the 3 years i've owned my boat. i decided this winter i would change the impeller myself to save some money. i took the impeller out and it is still good from last year so i'll store it in a plastic bag for the winter. When i followed the hose to the transcooler and removed it, i found a whole bunch of old broken off impeller pieces in the hose and jam packed in the transcooler up against the screen. I had you use needle nose pliers to get them out. Needless to say i was a bit upset to have taken it to a "mechanic" and he didn't catch that for me. So apparently for the last 3 years i have been running my boat with it practically plugged up with impeller pieces. From now on i will change the impeller myself and know it's done the right way.

SG15, I agree with james11 sounds like you got everything and I don't use AF either. I use the shop vac to try and get any water that may remain in the block, but mainly for internal corrosion reasons, mine won't freeze as it is stored inside. The shop vac also helps to suck out any small crap you may have in or on the trans cooler screen. Definately agree with james11 on the impeller. It is a PITA to get to on my V-D but too easy on a DD. Plus it gives you a chance to check other things like your shaft coupling bolts. I noticed mine were loose @ my 60 hour inspection and impeller check. Lastly don't forget the trailer, brake fluid level, tire pressure and general walk around.

Looks like you got it all. I don't have a shower so i'm not sure if you would need to blow out the line or not. To answer your question about reconnecting and filling with antifreeze, i would not fill with antifreeze. It is not neccesary since you have drained all of the water, there is nothing to freeze. That being said, it is up to you whether you connect the hoses now or later. i would put the block plugs back in to prevent rust from corroding the threads. As far as the impeller goes, No you do not have to take off the water pump to change the impeller. Follow the raw water intake hose up the starboard side of the engine to the impeller housing. Take off both hoses and the four or five bolts and the whole housing will come off of the pulley. From there you can just push the impeller out. make sure you replace the gaskets and also follow the hose to your trans cooler and remove it. check inside the hose and your trans cooler for old impeller pieces. I have had a "mechanic" change my impeller twice in the 3 years i've owned my boat. i decided this winter i would change the impeller myself to save some money. i took the impeller out and it is still good from last year so i'll store it in a plastic bag for the winter. When i followed the hose to the transcooler and removed it, i found a whole bunch of old broken off impeller pieces in the hose and jam packed in the transcooler up against the screen. I had you use needle nose pliers to get them out. Needless to say i was a bit upset to have taken it to a "mechanic" and he didn't catch that for me. So apparently for the last 3 years i have been running my boat with it practically plugged up with impeller pieces. From now on i will change the impeller myself and know it's done the right way.

Don't be upset with the mechanic, it can take years for the impeller parts to work through the cooling system. After blowing an impeller I have fond parts for up to two years and I clean my screen at least once a year. Always watch your temp and more often at slow speed or idle. I have found you can run most our boats with a blown impeller at speed it forces enough water into the cooling system to stay at normal running temp. I do not recamend doing so but if you were to be out and had no way home sit let the boat cool. restart and go to 28-32 MPH and watch the temp it will likely run at normal temp and you can get home.

Don't be upset with the mechanic, it can take years for the impeller parts to work through the cooling system. After blowing an impeller I have fond parts for up to two years and I clean my screen at least once a year. Always watch your temp and more often at slow speed or idle. I have found you can run most our boats with a blown impeller at speed it forces enough water into the cooling system to stay at normal running temp. I do not recamend doing so but if you were to be out and had no way home sit let the boat cool. restart and go to 28-32 MPH and watch the temp it will likely run at normal temp and you can get home.

Funny thing about watching my temp :unsure: ...my temp gauge doesn't work. That is a project i need to get figured out asap. I think ill start with my temp sensor. I have hooked the boat up to a fake a lake numerous times over the last few years so i know it has been pumping water through the exhaust even with all the impeller pieces plugging up the system. That might explain why more water comes out one exhaust tip more than the other.