Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Linkage

1988 Sunsetter: The starter bendix shattered and wedged in the flywheel so that I had to remove the back half of the engine to free and remove the parts. To do this I unscrewed the tension bolds on the prop shaft, removed the 4 bolts and separated the transmission from the prop shaft and unbolted the transmissio from the hull to give the necesaary clearance. After reassembling and replacing the starter the transmission/linkage screams (metal on metal sound) when put into gear. I then reseparated the prop shaft and transmission, started and put in gear - no noise. I was careful to tighten the tension screws to the original position and it isn't rattling so it appears to be ligned up ok. All this done with the boat out of the water, but I've run it 'dry' before w/o this noise. Any ideas on the source of the noise? Could be that the tension bolts are slipping (though not completely) and the noise is from them rubbing the prop shaft, but it is very difficult to see the movement and I'm hesitant to fiddle with the tension screws not knowing 'how tight is too tight'. Thanks

Are you sure that the noise isn't coming from your dry shaft packing? That can make an awful screetch for sure. When you ran your boat in gear out of the water last time was the boat in the water in the last 24 hours? My shaft packing takes a long time to dry out, so maybe yours was still wet (and quiet). I would try to turn your prop by hand (with the engine OFF and the tranmission in nuetral) and see if you get a screetch. Then take your garden hose and soak your shaft packing and cutless bearing in the strut real well. Turn the prop by hand again and see if the noise changes.

Someone really smart told me that runing an inboard in gear out of the water was a bad idea because the drive shaft is lubricated by the water.

Are you sure that the noise isn't coming from your dry shaft packing? That can make an awful screetch for sure. When you ran your boat in gear out of the water last time was the boat in the water in the last 24 hours? My shaft packing takes a long time to dry out, so maybe yours was still wet (and quiet). I would try to turn your prop by hand (with the engine OFF and the tranmission in nuetral) and see if you get a screetch. Then take your garden hose and soak your shaft packing and cutless bearing in the strut real well. Turn the prop by hand again and see if the noise changes.

Someone really smart told me that runing an inboard in gear out of the water was a bad idea because the drive shaft is lubricated by the water.

That person was right on the money. The strut bushing and the shaft packing are water lubricated especially on the 88' boats since they didn't come with the plastic bushings and the dripless packing.

First I've ever heard of shaft packing making a noise but who knows.

These sound reasonable. The last time run 'dry' was 2010 and not long after being in the water for a throttle cable adjustment. It has endured months of 100+ degree TX heat this Summer, so its bone dry now. I'll give it a good soaking this weekend, Thanks

you mean put in the water? I can tell you with almost 100% confidence that packing is unable to make the noise you are describing. It is either wax rope or goretex, neither of which, even dry, have enough friction on smooth metal to make the noise you're getting. The bushing, however, is totally capable. It is a rubber sleeve that will wear, perhaps unevenly, and can bind on the shaft when dry causing more than enough friction (rubber on metal) to make the sound you got.

you mean put in the water? I can tell you with almost 100% confidence that packing is unable to make the noise you are describing. It is either wax rope or goretex, neither of which, even dry, have enough friction on smooth metal to make the noise you're getting. The bushing, however, is totally capable. It is a rubber sleeve that will wear, perhaps unevenly, and can bind on the shaft when dry causing more than enough friction (rubber on metal) to make the sound you got.

I stand corrected on the packing not making the noise. I just knew that either or both the packing or bearing in the strut makes noise when it is dry. I assumed that the wax rope packing could have enough friction on the driveshaft to squeek. Truthfully I have never had the opertunity (necessity) to have to take this part of my boat apart to get a better sense for it. It seems like I learn something from this site everyday! How many more days till summer ...

I stand corrected on the packing not making the noise. I just knew that either or both the packing or bearing in the strut makes noise when it is dry. I assumed that the wax rope packing could have enough friction on the driveshaft to squeek. Truthfully I have never had the opertunity (necessity) to have to take this part of my boat apart to get a better sense for it. It seems like I learn something from this site everyday! How many more days till summer ...

That would be a close second behind the path of cooling water throughout the engine as far as necessary things you should know about your boat. I'd do some research before it's too late, you've got plenty of time with winter setting in :cry: