Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Evolution Cover

BlknYlwT22

We had the boat at the marina for some service over the last 2 weeks. We asked that they had stored the boat inside until the boat was finished. The boat is far enough away from home that getting it during the week is not an option. The boat's service and winterization was finished on Wednesday so they put it outside for us to pick it up. Of course it absolutely poured on Wednesday and Thursday. I went to pick the boat up this weekend and the interior was soaked. I am not sure what cover we have but I am pretty sure it is not factory. Pretty disappointing how bad this cover lacks water proofing. I have heard many people brag of their evolution covers. Is this the way to go for a boat that on a covered lift all summer and is in our garage in the winter? The only time the boat is vulnerable is at the Marina but odds are when the boat is there in the spring and fall there will be a day of rain. How much does an evo cover run?

Here is a shot of our current cover for reference.

DSC05589.jpg

DSC05588.jpg

I'm in the same boat, my boat is either in my garage or under a covered boat lift. My stock cover leaks a bit when my boat is in the driveway for the odd day here or there. To make sure it didn't leak as much I used 303 fabric guard to water proof it and made sure there were no low points in the back by using polls.

A evo cover is about 1000, from the pix yours is not. Will be we water proof sure.... But it's an expensive option for once a year need. Save even more money and winterize the boat yourself :)

It would be best to contact Cory Anderson at Evolution Covers directly. His contact information is as follows:

For service questions regarding Evolution Covers we can be reached by the following:

Via e-mail [email protected]

Via telephone (425) 478-2043 between the hours of 7am-4pm PST Mon. thru Fri.

I have had no water infiltration problems since switching to an Evolution cover.

It is my understanding that D-Goose has done a group buy in the off-season on Evolution covers in the past, hopefully this off-season will be no different. I need one too!

The problem you may have is that the marina will be unfamiliar w/ the Evo, and be unlikely to install it properly (as the design is somewhat unique). This is a fear of mine...since pooling of water will stretch the sunbrella.

It is my understanding that D-Goose has done a group buy in the off-season on Evolution covers in the past, hopefully this off-season will be no different. I need one too!

Cory gives a discount to Paid Bu Crew members. If your thinking about an Evo it pays for itself with that purchase alone.

I love my cover, its awesome.

I'm in the same boat, my boat is either in my garage or under a covered boat lift. My stock cover leaks a bit when my boat is in the driveway for the odd day here or there. To make sure it didn't leak as much I used 303 fabric guard to water proof it and made sure there were no low points in the back by using polls.

A evo cover is about 1000, from the pix yours is not. Will be we water proof sure.... But it's an expensive option for once a year need. Save even more money and winterize the boat yourself :)

We had this cover altered so a pole could be used in the bow and the rear. These were both installed during the rain and the boat was still saturated.

I agree with the other guys....never had a drop of rain with my Evo.

I towed the boat home this year from the WOW in the hardest rain I have ever driven in. About 2 hours of hard hard rain on the freeway. At times we were down to 20 mph with standing water all over the road. There was actually water coming in the floorboards of the truck and getting the carpet wet. I got home and expected that boat to be at least a little wet inside. It was bone dry....not a drop of water inside. They are amazing covers.

I guess I need to decide if 2-3 weeks out of the year is worth $1000. That's a lot of money for that amount of time but at the same time the boat getting drenched like that is unacceptable. I may try a water proofer before I jump off the deep end. I just wasn't sure if there were any other viable options.

I have a Rankin cover (predecessor to the Evo) & love everything about it..... can't say enough good things about it. But if your only going to use it for a couple weeks a year, I'd just waterproof the old one myself.

Living in Seattle for over 20 yrs, we dealt with rain all too often. A product I used to waterproof several covers is called AquaTite. The stuff is unreal & will waterproof a paper towel. :crazy:

It'll take you an hour to do it, cost less than $50 & last for years.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I guess I need to decide if 2-3 weeks out of the year is worth $1000. That's a lot of money for that amount of time but at the same time the boat getting drenched like that is unacceptable. I may try a water proofer before I jump off the deep end. I just wasn't sure if there were any other viable options.

Why not winterize and service it yourself? Unless you have some major work to do, no need to take the boat to the dealer if you are semi handy.

I need to try the aqua tite myself.

I have a Rankin cover (predecessor to the Evo) & love everything about it..... can't say enough good things about it. But if your only going to use it for a couple weeks a year, I'd just waterproof the old one myself.

Living in Seattle for over 20 yrs, we dealt with rain all too often. A product I used to waterproof several covers is called AquaTite. The stuff is unreal & will waterproof a paper towel. :crazy:

It'll take you an hour to do it, cost less than $50 & last for years.

I will have to give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!

Why not winterize and service it yourself? Unless you have some major work to do, no need to take the boat to the dealer if you are semi handy.

I need to try the aqua tite myself.

The biggest issue is time. At the same time, if there is an issue they are at fault and not myself. I would hate to winterize it and end up with a cracked block or something along those lines and have to pay out of pocket to fix it.

Do yourself a favor & make the time to learn about your boat. It may seem like it's not necessary but next spring when your out in the middle of the lake & don't know why your engine is leaking water or overheating, and you don't have any idea why (because the dealer forgot to tighten a hose clamp or something stupid), then you'll know why you made the time to do it. And when you can fix it yourself without ruining a day on the lake, you'll thank us for it.

Once you learn how it's done, it only takes a few minutes to get it done. I drained everything on my boat in like 5 minutes on the ramp last Sunday.

I concur, the hardest part of doing a winterization is getting the oil filter off. It's very easy and can be done in 15 mins not including fluid change. As Bill mentions the value is really in knowing your boat.

First off 1k isn't accurate (I can say this because I just bought one). You should call corey and ask him what the price would be. Last I checked even if you get a non evolution cover you're dropping 600. If you're considering getting a new cover anyway, the "upgrade" to an evo might well be worth it IMO. The advice of getting a paid membership on this site first and then getting a price from corey is the way to go if you aren't already a paying member as the discount will pay for your membership and more.

On a lighter note, were you aware the evolution cover even mows your lawn, rakes your leaves, and cures cancer? :D

On a lighter note, were you aware the evolution cover even mows your lawn, rakes your leaves, and cures cancer? :D

the evolution cover will boost your street cred and add $5k to your boat value :rockon:

Edited by Bozboat

FWIW........

Sharks have a week dedicated to The Evolution Cover

The Evolution cover can touch MC Hammer

The Evolution cover can win a game of Connect Four in 3 moves

The Evolution cover is the reason Waldo is hiding

....it's that good . I swear. :thumbup:

FWIW........

Sharks have a week dedicated to The Evolution Cover

The Evolution cover can touch MC Hammer

The Evolution cover can win a game of Connect Four in 3 moves

The Evolution cover is the reason Waldo is hiding

....it's that good . I swear. :thumbup:

FACT!

Can you imagine what would happen if an evolution cover had a Titan tower on it!

That is something you may be seeing! Talked to Cory on the phone just a little bit ago. What an awesome guy and extremely helpful! His price is substantially below the $1000 mark shipped to my door. If I sell the fresh air exhaust system I have sitting in the garage I will be well on my way!

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

The Evolution Cover will tirelessly protect your boat regardless of your Winterization Method, or your Choice of Engine Oil, fuel, Tow Vehicle,air pressure, altitude, attitude or sound package.