Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterize....

This thread started a bit feisty didn't it.

I follow the stupid and unnecessary step of filling and leaving antifreeze in mine mostly because of the corrosion resistance. Like Sixball has said. I have been doing it this way for a long time, I have had zero issues and my motor still looks and run like new. It may be wasting money, but if you do it right there is no downside. Except obviously the cost of the antifreeze.

I use a product similiar to this. Its blue in color

AntiFreeze

From Merc's site.

"Do I need to put antifreeze into the raw-water/seawater section of the cooling system after draining?

MerCruiser requires the use of propylene glycol antifreeze (with a rust inhibitor for marine engines) in the seawater section of the cooling system. Damage caused by freezing or improper winterization is not covered by the limited factory warranty. "

Yep....sure did....

There certainly are some strong opinions, all with valid points mostly. Simply put, the stupid and unnecessary step is very sensible to me. Like you say, cost is the only downside but it's also cheap piece of mind IMO.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slayer

• Sixball

• rjgogo

• Sliderfiii

After winterizing I relax the tie-down straps so my boat is resting on the bunks but not held firmly down. My logic is that when it is -30C outside, the fiberglass of the boat will be contracting at a different rate than the steel of the trailer which could result in some stresses in the hull that likely were not designed for.

Any potential down side to doing this?

After winterizing I relax the tie-down straps so my boat is resting on the bunks but not held firmly down. My logic is that when it is -30C outside, the fiberglass of the boat will be contracting at a different rate than the steel of the trailer which could result in some stresses in the hull that likely were not designed for.

Any potential down side to doing this?

None that I am aware of unless you forget about it in the spring.

I'm no structural engineer, but I do the same thing.

As do I.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for instructions for a "mini-winterization" of the boat. We hope to go out several more times and will do a full winterization in January. In the mean time there is a possibility of nights getting below freezing for several hours. Are there any manuals or instructions available that show how to ensure the boat is properly prepared and where the drains are located?

• 2 weeks later...

what about the trans cooling system,is there a drain plug for that?

Not on a direct drive, just pull the water hose off the transmission cooler. The lines to and from the trans cooler from the transmission are trans fluid not water.