Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

8.1 power loss at 4000 rpm

I just purchased a 2007 247 with the 8.1 engine with 40 hours. We took it out for the first day and discovered that it had a leaking engine hose which caused it to lose oil. The low oil pressure warning light came on, and I immediately shut it off and got towed into the marina. We repaired the leak and filled it back up with oil.

The engine runs and sounds flawless, except for when I pushed it past 4000 rpm, it bogs down and won't perform normally unless I back off the throttle to the level below 4000 rpm. When I do throttle down it returns to normal. It will never allow me to go past 4000 without doing this. I really doubt any damage occurred with the low oil because I immediately shut it off upon the warning, but maybe I'm wrong.

I just cleaned the air filter. People have also suggested that I may have a bad fuel filter or fuel pump. I'm going out on the lake with my mechanic tomorrow to get his thoughts. Any other thoughts on what would cause this high end power loss?

With the low hours on the boat I would look at fuel issues first. Fuel quality is always a problem with boats that have sat for a while, the ethonol will actually seperate causing all sorts of issues.

The fuel filter is also a good starting point, again with fuel that has sat for a while you can end up with a substance inthe filter that resembles jelly.

Fuel pump could be weak but with it running upto 4000 I would lean towareds 1 and 2 combigned.